Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pubs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pubs

Pubs closed here in Oz, but not the bottle shops.
    was in Dan Murphy this morning, biggest of its type and the shelves had been decimated Sunday afternoon.
    But do not fear the manager told me, we have plenty out the back and will restock, we will not be closing, we come under the essential services category.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #6... Tony any good trick cyclist will tell you that solo drinking is bad for mental health. There must be a few of us past that point by now. That was the reason supposedly for bringing drink back on to ships in the forms of bars.
    Being more down to earth though I think it was to Stop cabin drinking and try and retain some public feeling on board. Also a safeguard against any drunken plotting of mutiny perhaps. Anyhow it went the full circle and is now back to zero tolerance on most ships. The real hard cases took to wardrobe drinking and had to smuggle their supplies on board. Cheers JWS.
    This post made me recall vividly some of the parties that we would have in our cabins. Who amongst us can vaguely recall being so stuffed that one thought that a good nights sleep was going to happen. Only to have ones cabin mate come in with a few others in tow and once again it was party time. Really buggered up those on dog watch but we survived. No bars but parties nearly every bloody night as far as I recall. Can not recall much about them because was to involved LOL. Well on the ships I was on anyway. Single accommodation slowed it all down but only signed on one and that was the last one I was on. No bloody parties.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6... Tony any good trick cyclist will tell you that solo drinking is bad for mental health. There must be a few of us past that point by now. That was the reason supposedly for bringing drink back on to ships in the forms of bars.
    Being more down to earth though I think it was to Stop cabin drinking and try and retain some public feeling on board. Also a safeguard against any drunken plotting of mutiny perhaps. Anyhow it went the full circle and is now back to zero tolerance on most ships. The real hard cases took to wardrobe drinking and had to smuggle their supplies on board. Cheers JWS.
    John,
    it went full circle almost; as a first trip apprentice I could have anything I wanted in my cabin and the same in the officers bar; golden rule was - dont abuse it or there will be serious consequences. At that time I had a lot of sympathy for crewmembers who were rationed to two cans a night, issued from the bond locker, nice and warm, although our bar fridge was more like an oven.
    By the time I finished no cabin stock was allowed, only Captains and C/Es (arguably the most common candidates for excessive drinking in a lot of cases), with bar accounts being monitored regularly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Pubs closed here in Oz, but not the bottle shops.
    was in Dan Murphy this morning, biggest of its type and the shelves had been decimated Sunday afternoon.
    But do not fear the manager told me, we have plenty out the back and will restock, we will not be closing, we come under the essential services category.
    Hi John
    the off licence is most definatley an essential service, I'm sure you all agree.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    John,
    it went full circle almost; as a first trip apprentice I could have anything I wanted in my cabin and the same in the officers bar; golden rule was - dont abuse it or there will be serious consequences. At that time I had a lot of sympathy for crewmembers who were rationed to two cans a night, issued from the bond locker, nice and warm, although our bar fridge was more like an oven.
    By the time I finished no cabin stock was allowed, only Captains and C/Es (arguably the most common candidates for excessive drinking in a lot of cases), with bar accounts being monitored regularly.

As officers steward living in the officers accommodation we had all we wanted.
    No spirits for the crew in the Pig, but we were allowed to get it for officers from first class bar and often got the odd glass for our selves.
    Food, only the best for us and most of the officers were very good to us in many other areas.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Payne View Post
    Hi John
    the off licence is most definatley an essential service, I'm sure you all agree.
    Graham, MR Patel around the corner from me has a notice o the window { DONT GET CAUGHT OUT WINES BEERS SPIRITS AND FOOD DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR UP UNTIL 1am } There is an administration charge of £ 8.00 } These leaches are ripping you of by just shopping there. Apparently he is making a killing since the pubs closed and he is not breaking the law the clever bugger has a little disability sticker attached to the note. Streets are paved with gold for these leaches and there is as they say a mug born every minute.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just remember him when we eventually get back to normal Terry, kt
    R689823

Keith at Tregenna Guest

When this ends, AND IT WILL, every football match will sell out, every restaurant will have a two hour wait, every child will be glad to be in school, everyone will love their job, the £ will sky rocket, shops will be fully stocked, pubs will be packed, and gigs will be plentiful and we’ll kiss, embrace and shake hands. That’s gonna be a good day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As regards the kissing , Adam’s apples are not acceptable. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)