Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: TV license fee

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: TV license fee

That’s what friends are for Keith, you’re welcome, cheers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a note of caution about Age Concern or Age UK as it is now.
    A few years back I was checking my mothers bank account when I noticed the amount she was paying Age UK for her house and and contents insurance.
    I thought it was rather high so did some checking.
    Firstly her cover was buildings only and the policy doc. was vague, so the amount she was paying was ridiculously high.
    I then did some research on one of the search sites and found her a policy from a well known insurer who covered everything plus accidental damage for less than half what she had been paying Age UK.
    Apparently some years earlier she had them in to look at her security (locks etc) and they had offered her a policy then which she took up and just payed religiously for several years, ignorant of the fact she did not have adequate cover.
    Be warned, check everything before you buy (their CEO is only on 190k, so not among the higher earners in charity business) .
    Try money saving expert for arguably the best advice.

3. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have found Age Concern the most expensive on any insurance quotes regardless of the insurance subject, they play on old peoples vulnerability who see the name 'Age Concern' and think that they are getting looked after with the best deal, I find them morally deficient.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found that the Salvation Army , SAGIC, has a very good Home insurance policy. that is who I am with now.
    Brian

6. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Have found Age Concern the most expensive on any insurance quotes regardless of the insurance subject, they play on old peoples vulnerability who see the name 'Age Concern' and think that they are getting looked after with the best deal, I find them morally deficient.
    my thoughts exactly

8. Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use Age UK, not for any type of insurance, but for access to trusted workmen, be they plumbers builders et al. They are all vetted by my local council and all time served. After each job I'm expected to file an online report- I've yet to send a bad one.
    R635733

10. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some have warned complications on the website could lead to overpayment, and have therefore urged pensioners to take caution.

When clicking ‘pay’ or ‘pay for your new TV Licence’ on the website, many have not been given the option to specify they are over the age of 75 or select their relevant repayment plan.

As a result, the website system has seemingly overcharged people, billing them as ordinary license holders, at 26.25 for the first six months, when they should be paying 13.18 a month.

Some have reported finding the website confusing, or unclear, which has left them open to potentially overpaying on the amount they are actually required to contribute.

Instead, older people should be clicking ‘Changes to the over 75 free TV licence’ in order to access the payment options suitable for them.

Apparently best to double check whatever you do.

K.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

12. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, john gill liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was discussing this license thing with my wife, as you all know we pay no fee here, or do we, last night we watched a program that probably should have been about an hour long took an extra twenty minutes, the rest was advertising, now if you take the cost of power for all those break for adds time, it would over twelve months; come to a lot more than a TV license. We have loads of Videos and being the TV stations repeat all the time, we would be better off just watching Videos and not being so frustrated by adds.
    Des
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Insurance of any kind can be a problem, for so many.
    We have so many different companies here in Oz all offering wonderful products, that is until you dig deep into them.

Like UK there are some that offer wonderful extras often appearing too good to ignore.
    But when it comes to making a claim beware of the small print.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Likes Tony Taylor, John F Collier liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    I was discussing this license thing with my wife, as you all know we pay no fee here, or do we, last night we watched a program that probably should have been about an hour long took an extra twenty minutes, the rest was advertising, now if you take the cost of power for all those break for adds time, it would over twelve months; come to a lot more than a TV license. We have loads of Videos and being the TV stations repeat all the time, we would be better off just watching Videos and not being so frustrated by adds.
    Des
    Hi Des, My way out of that, is to record the films on my hard drive recorder, stop or start when you want and fast forward through the ad's, or
    you can store them for whenever you feel like watching, I sometimes find a favourite that had forgotten, I don't have all this streaming stuff
    so this is perfect for me, but BBC has us all by the short and curlies and we still need a TV license to record from any channel, cheers.
    Last edited by John F Collier; Yesterday at 02:10 PM.

17. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7