Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mixed Matters and Thoughts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mixed Matters and Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Tony, I don't dispute your 25m figure, I have other figures banded about. Can you point me where you seen this figure.
    I am not disputing, but trying to build evidence in the decline UK shipbuilding due to the EU.
    Thanks.
    Vic
    Vic, I was working from memory, which is generally reasonable for longer term but dont ask what I had for breakfast.
    I will double check.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 9th December 2019 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    Vic, I was working from memory, which is generally reasonable for longer term but dont ask what I had for breakfast.
    I will double check.
    BBC - Wear - Last Wearside shipyard is sunk
    It is basically as above but the pay off from the Euro Commissioners was £45m according to the above, with no ships to be built for 10 years.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 9th December 2019 at 04:21 PM.

3. Thanks vic mcclymont, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last deep sea ships built in the covered pallion shipyard were the Nosira bulkers. Nosira is Arison as in Mickey arison founder of Carnival cruises, spelt backwards. The ferry contract that was meant to keep it going was a bit dodgy from the start with funding for the building never properly in place. The ferries were for inland waters with their power plants in containers fixed on the upper decks arranged so that if one failed then a replacement could be put in place within hours. There were also problems with the paint systems. Think that 4 of the 6 contracted for were completed before the outfit behind the order cancelled over the supposed problems with the power plants and paint system. The ferries lay in the wear for a period before they were brought at a knockdown price by, surprise surprise, the original contractor.
    The E.U. demanded a 10% reduction in U.K. shipbuilding capacity which put the nail in NESL.
    A number of years ago there was a serious attempt to reopen the yard to build ferries for Indonesia but that fell through as no one was prepared to cough up the couple of million quid required to dredge the river to enable any vessel built at the yard to reach the sea.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The reason all those ships were laid up and and crews put out of work was the EU would not allow UK to import fruit, meat etc from Commonwealth without charging duty. This crippled Tasmania and ruined farmers in WA SA Vic etc and they could not go to French or Portuguese colonies to pick up freight as they were banned by EU. So virtually all British tonnage other than tankers were out of work and only scrap value. With the number of vessels on the market the **** dropped out of the market and British owners did not have any capital or intrinsic value to enable them to borrow to build or buy container ships, where the EU was already supporting France Germany and the Baltic states.
    Guess those area's now voting for Boris had a lot of family members who lost jobs at that time.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wood View Post
    Guess those area's now voting for Boris had a lot of family members who lost jobs at that time.
    There was no viable alternative. Perhaps now the country can bury its differences and pull together.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    There was no viable alternative. Perhaps now the country can bury its differences and pull together.
    Agree with your sentiments entirely Ivan and wish for nothing more than harmony within the UK, but sad to say there seems to be many
    today who can not accept any other view than their own and just like children they throw a tantrum if they don't get what they demand,
    I believe it is the same section of society who have brought about the decline of the value of free speech that we have always held so dear.
    Hopefully we have a fresh start ahead of us and we can return to normality, Christmas is meant to be a time of peace and good will, we can
    only hope that is the way it will go. This is not a political statement, just how I see it as the truth. HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE, John F C

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The truth is after being sidelined and dumped on by the EU,especially in ship building, the people of Britain just took back their freedom. It took guts for the people to change many many years of voting Labour in order to get what they voted for in the referendum.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John of the Windows, those who do not like the result of the erection could ask for another, and another until they get what they want.
    That was the call with the referendum.

But as I understand it UK began talks with Oz about renewing trade relationships a few months back when Boris got the job as PM.

There were many countries UK traded with before they were done over by the EU, NZ and South Africa were a couple.
    There is no reason why they cannot return to them.
    From what our PM tells us the UK will be welcomed back with open arms.

The most gratifying point of the erection was that Democracy won the day, you voted out now you will be.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 16th December 2019 at 04:56 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    John of the Windows, those who do not like the result of the erection could ask for another, and another until they get what they want.
    That was the call with the referendum...................................

The most gratifying point of the erection was that Democracy won the day, you voted out now you will be.
    I think most of us here John have experienced what you speak of i.e the demand for another erection and then even still more,
    but I have to say that for me at the point of gratification, democracy was the very last thing in my mind .
    At home here in the UK we have very many people who have only ever known the UK to be a member of the Eu and they are
    very frightened at the thought of us being independent, I don't suppose they have ever seen film of the docks in their heyday
    when we were a free trading country, we traded with the world for hundreds of years as our own masters and as a seafaring
    Island Nation we cannot accept having our sovereignty being taken from us. Personally I feel more confident of a good future
    now but there is still a long way to go. Cheers
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 16th December 2019 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if Jeremy Corbin's answer to Boris Johnson's call for an election will go down in History as one of the famous last words
    "BRING IT ON"
    Des

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast