Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Population.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: UK Population.

Hi Jim
    If one day I do become a Net Beneficiary, which I should Not be, as I bought an excellent Pension.
    I will have paid in Full after a lifetime of Tax Payments and never ever had one Benefit in my life.
    Indeed my Pension excludes me from any kind of Benefit.
    Benefit income is Tax Free, My Income is Taxable.
    I look after my Health, I lift weights and go on my exerciser cycle every day, and my Doctors say I am super fit, in better health than most men half my age.
    If everyone did that the NHS would save Millions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Strangely just in on the news is the 39 dead are all Chinese nationals . I think the question of migration, we have always had migration, but of course it has to be done in a controlled way, what we have at the moment is an unknown number of illegal migrants, when they arrive, having been exploited by smugglers for vast amounts of money, they are then used in the slave trade, employed by people who pay peanuts, and keep them in squalid conditions. This is the fate for most of them, not just in UK, but most of the EU as well, kt
    I think they are most likely from Hong Kong as they have strong ties with the UK and with all the unrest going on out there who could blame them.

3. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These are the latest statistics released by the government, But these are only the ones that they know of.

How many asylum seekers are there in the UK?
    There are a few different ways to quantify the number of asylum seekers in the UK. The first is the number of people who apply for asylum each year.
    In 2018, 37,453 people applied for asylum. This number has been roughly constant over the past five years and is substantially lower than in 2002, when the number of applications peaked at 103,000.
    Another approach is to look at the Home Office’s administrative statistics, which show there were 88,848 asylum cases ‘in progress’ at the end of June 2018. This takes into account all pending applications and cases in which the application has been refused but the applicant has not yet left the country or has secured leave to remain via another route.
    A third indicator is the number of people receiving Section 95 support, which is a weekly stipend given to asylum seekers who do not have independent means.
    At the end of December 2018, there were 44,258 asylum seekers receiving government support.

Now consider this are own young people.
    More than one in seven young people (17 per cent) have slept rough, including in places such as cars or squats, during the past year, according to a ComRes survey done for the study. “When the poll data was scaled up to reflect the wider population, an estimated 1.3 million young people aged 16 to 24 have slept rough during the past year,” said the research.
    'Anti-homeless spikes' outside estate agents cause anger
    Collecting “coherent national data on youth homelessness” is essential if the true scale of the problem is to be understood and funded accordingly so that young people receive the support they urgently need, the research concluded.

“Successive governments have been making policy in the dark as they have failed to grasp the sheer scale of youth homelessness in the UK,” said Balbir Chatrik, policy director of Centrepoint. “We’re seeing the consequences of funding decisions based on this lack of knowledge which have placed extreme pressure on charities and local authorities, with the majority of hostels full or oversubscribed.
    Something is not quite right AGAIN...……………
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I slept Rough when I was young, first time during the Blitz in WW2 when our house disappeared until grandma took us in.
    then in 1955 and 1960 during he Seamen`s Strikes, I had a good place, in the doorway of St James Church, on Park Lane in the South end of Liverpool. it had a wooden bench so didnt sleep on the ground.

Today, why are all these young people sleeping rough?? Have they no families or parents???
    are they Drug Addicts and have been thrown out???
    If I found myself homeless as a Teenager, I would join the Royal Navy or Army , or Air Force. learn a Trade and skills in there, Good wages, good food and accommodation better than a cold wet door way.
    Have they no ambitions or Imagination.???
    There are plenty of Jobs available now. So no excuses.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian, When I eventually put the wheel amidships and headed for London as Liverpool thanks to the iron lady had nothing to offer me, I walked the high road in Kilburn, Looking for digs with £1 in my pocket i got there eventually and started work the following week. Roughed it for 2 nights but hey roughed it a few times at sea also. Another day in the life Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure many of the immigrants into the UK have been of benefit to the UK and are bring up their children as loyal and proud Britishers not all can be moochers like the Captains neighbors.

Today in the States with Donald J. Trump I could have not passed his sniff test to be accepted.* Did I do good in and for my adopted company, you be the judge:

My ex-wife of 22, a son of six months and me at 24 left Winnipeg, Canada for California via train as it was the cheapest way to go. It was great, we saw how grand and huge this wonderful country is, We sang "California here I come." The Rock Island Line is a Mighty Fine Line," as we passed a row of trains from that company, "Goin to Kansas City, Kansas City here I Come," and all the songs we could think of to do with the states we passed through.

We entered the USA with a $1000.00 dollars in 1962, about $6,000.0 in todays money and a job letter offering me a job as a cook at $19.75 a day, about $65.00 today at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles.

From this beginning.* I rose to achieve my highest ambition...to pay the government income tax in the "top bracket"...there's a lot left over after taxes.* To this day, though retired, I still object to the premise of stacking additional taxes on* the successful.

I tripled the growth of the companies* sales I was C.E.O. of, Quadrupled the annual profit for six out of seven years as its C.E.O..* I opened a remote-site catering company in Western Canada and three months later won the contract of the largest remote-site catering company in Canada and with that and other contracts, became the largest catering company, in that field, in Canada for my last six years before retirement.

I have never in my life collected unemployment or public assistance.* I collect my pension and view it as collecting on an insurance policy* (which rates are based on earnings, higher the sales the higher the premium until you have paid the due that are set by law, all but my first year I paid the maximum).* I've taken no hand outs from any government or person in my life) I have a small pension based on what I paid in sent monthly from the UK.* The US and the UK have laws that allow their respective subjects or citizens to collect in the other country.

In the U.S. our economy would collapse without Mexican labor.* They do the jobs that Americans do not want to do, from catering dishwashers to hotel maids, fruit and veg pickers, residential gardeners and any dirty jobs we don't want to do.* And no white or black worker can keep up with them, they'll outwork anyone.

I came in legally then, today I would never get a look in the door.

There has to be a quota method based on a US needs to give applicants a special permit to work for say eighteen months, then they must return to their country and reapply for another visa with the proviso they have broken no laws, prove they paid their taxes and have a certified job offer to return to.* The employer must pay the wages required by law (no cheap or slave like labor) and benefits,* medical insurance etc..* Perhaps limits of no more than five work permits.* They would be strictly work permits only, not resident permits, and removal of the system of children born are automatically US. citizens by birth, or an alien getting marrying to a citizen and able to stay.

I'd be interested to know if any of this proposal is viable in England.

Immediate deportation for illegals and permanent disbarment from reentry.* If caught a second time a prison penalty.

I more than doubled the companies U.S. staff employment providing many jobs to Americans.
    *I hired 12 British ex British Merchant Catering employees to Manage the hotel operations of the Michelangelo and Raffaello in Iran.* Fifteen US employees to manage other project operations.
    I started from nothing to sales of $5 million then and paying back all development cost and yielding profits within eighteen months from entry to Iran.

I know from reading posts that many other Brits have emigrated to Australia, N.Z., Canada and a couple to Central and South America and there may be other countries and all too have told tales of a successful life and I'm sure are a credit to their new country and that country has benefitted from their efforts as I'm sure the UK has too and I'm talking about legal entry.

*Must close, been all day in and out of the doctors and clinic and am pooped.

Cheers, Rodney (I'm sorry about those annoying *, I have no idea why they appear on my posts).

8. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Australia was a nation built on migration, beginning with the very first men and women hand picked by the highest in the UK at that time.
    Immigration has continued to the point where we have person from just about every country on earth.

The majority have done well, just as we have, done well by working and paying our taxes.

But times have changed in many facets of modern day life, many industries now gone, heaper to make overseas.
    Farming is changing, the younger generations do not want the hard aspects of this industry, the result the farms of all sizes are slowly being acquired by overseas investors and workers.

As to being a beneficiary, we receive a part UK pension, one we paid into via the NHS, a part Oz pension also paid for by taxes and super to which we paid in conjunction with our employers. So like Brian what we receive is what we paid into.

But like UK we also have those here who came as either 'refugees' illegals or genuine migrants who have contributed nothing to the state yet expect o be kept by it.

But things are changing slowly, those migrants found guilty of crime and still not naturalized will be sent back to where they came from.

Any one wiling to work and offer something to the country is and always will be welcome.

I have seen in London on my last few visits the beggars, the dole bludgers and those who will only be a drain on society.
    I for one support Brian in his comments, it is sadly though going on in most western nations.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going back to my original thread my concerns are the state of the NHS!Housing,etc that cannot cope with the population at present so what happens in the future if the population is going to continue to rise.In my own opinion the politicians no matter of which ilk have never given any thought as to providing services with references to population increase.At the present time they are pissing about with Brexit ,I'll tell you what if nothing is done about the population it will be a much bigger problem.Come The Revolution!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its what winds me up Dave, they constantly tell us that the people who have come here to work, are paying their taxes etc etc, now i have no problem with the people coming in to work, our nurses are a good example, so why are we not supplying the extra Doctors, hospitals and schools to absorb them. My local surgery has close its books to new patients, and it still takes 2-3 weeks to see a Doctor. It will come to a head one day, housing alone for all the increase in population, by what ever means, is at crisis point, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Johno:

In the States, we too have restrictions on immigrants. When I came in as a legal immigrant and given what is called a "Green Card". This was a wallet size card, with photo and details that had to be carried at all times and had to be renewed annually before Jan Ist. We had no benefits from the government for five years. I could qualify to receive unemployment insurance after three months on the job and paying in. No one can qualify for Social Security (Pension) unless paid in for 10 years or disabled.

Today, Only someone who is highly qualified in a profession that is in demand and of use to the country and has a job offer stands a hope of legally getting in. Britain, and Northern Europeans have lost their most favored nation acceptability and all countries are now on an equal footing.

Cooking does not fall in to this category neither being British, as I was, move me to the head of the queue, now desirably trained Brits with ample funds, employment waiting joins the line along with everybody else.

Twenty-five years ago I rented my house first to a married couple from Australia, he was a V.P. of the N.Y. branch of Westpac Bank. he and his family were residents as part of his work visa which allowed them to stay as long as he worked for Westpac, he had an opportunity of a better position with another bank. It took him eight or nine years and a lot of Immigration attorney fees before he obtained a Green Card. He moved out of our house and a Brit General Manager of a British tanker company moved in and the same story played out for him and his family before he too finally got a Green Card.

President Johnson changed the rule shortly after I entered the U.S. other presidents added to it and Trump is hammering nails and bending them over to make it even harder. Neither his mother from Scotland, or his grandfather from Germany could get in legally today.

The States being founded and immigrants being desperately needed and as a nation built on the poor, the persecuted the words engraved on the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty, a gift from France, sums the former policy of the States much better than I can. (Trump is trying to have the words removed.)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to be free. The wretched refuse of your teeming shores, sent these homeless tempest tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" "The New Collossus"-Emma Lazarus 1883

Those that can show evidence of life endangerment in their home country stand a chance of entering under refugee status. This is difficult to prove.

Those who try to enter as economic refugees (looking for a better job etc.) are deemed as illegal.

Cheers, Rodney

13. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast