Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Farming / environment

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Farming / environment

Quote Originally Posted by dave moore View Post
    Oil Seed rape is one of the fastest growing plants in the world ,sown in Autumn in the UK and survives winter no problem ,come spring when the weather warms up it grows at the rate of a foot a week,hay fever sufferers hate it because of its high content in pollen ,making it a real benefit to insect life that is now sadly lacking in the UK.

- - - Updated - - -

Excuse my ignorance but what does the term paste refer to?
    it stinks as well; twice in the season, once when in flower and again when the stalks and seed pods dry out prior to harvesting. I regularly have a field full of it 100 yards along the street.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also grows like a weed, quite a bit grown here on the Island, and the seed spreads to all the grass verges alongside the roads, so in the flowering season we have pretty much yellow roadside verges everywhere. kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    Glad you changed your original post from the earlier, headed by you as: what a load of crap.

canola
    [kəˈnəʊlə]

NOUN

Oil seed rape of a variety developed in Canada and grown in North America, which yields a valuable culinary oil.

K.

Not quite sure where you are coming from that one, casting dispertions maybe??

There are those of us who do not rely just on cut and paste, we go out and seek alternative answers which are plentiful.
    Relying on just one source gives a stinted view of the situation.
    The fact is that when Canola first came to Australia over 60 years ago the nation was a very conservative one and the name Rape, even with seed on the end was not acceptable to the population.
    I do not need to provide evidence of this, living in the country I have learned enough to understand the manner of how the people think about such matters.
    I do not pass judgement on other countries such as Wales, a country I know little of.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith @ T - Doc mentioned before the extremely large amounts of ' cut & paste ' submitted by you in another Thread ( the Rugby one I seem to remember ) As I see it, speaking as a long standing member of this excellent site and not as a Moderator, it spoils completely the whole essence and sentiment of this site with its original and often off the cuff conversations, being one of the pleasures of passing the time with members and friends alike. One might as well buy a newspaper or watch television when forced to read obviously ' cut & pasted ' entries. I am pretty sure, most of the members prefer to read genuine remarks and conversations taken from personal knowledge and beliefs, rather than read an obviously copied passage taken from some educational source, just to make a point. I had enough of all that at school, and college and certainly do not see the need for it here. I would suggest a little more personal knowledge or experiences rather than unwanted cut and pasted tutorials and news bulletins, would be a lot more welcome. Thank you.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 19th October 2019 at 02:16 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dave moore View Post
    Oil Seed rape is one of the fastest growing plants in the world ,sown in Autumn in the UK and survives winter no problem ,come spring when the weather warms up it grows at the rate of a foot a week,hay fever sufferers hate it because of its high content in pollen ,making it a real benefit to insect life that is now sadly lacking in the UK.

- - - Updated - - -

Excuse my ignorance but what does the term paste refer to?
    Dave, it is a term used to describe cutting out some text or a picture from one document and then inserting it in another document, but electronically. Basically same as cutting an item out of a page e.g. newspaper and pasting it into another place like a scrapbook

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tony ,Thanks for that info.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Chris,thanks for educating me I only have an IPad and I'm not very good at modern technology with respect to the member concerned I have often wondered how they could have so much knowledge on so many subjects .i go along with your comments wholeheartedly

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allman View Post
    Keith @ T - Doc mentioned before the extremely large amounts of ' cut & paste ' submitted by you in another Thread ( the Rugby one I seem to remember ) As I see it, speaking as a long standing member of this excellent site and not as a Moderator, it spoils completely the whole essence and sentiment of this site with its original and often off the cuff conversations, being one of the pleasures of passing the time with members and friends alike. One might as well buy a newspaper or watch television when forced to read obviously ' cut & pasted ' entries. I am pretty sure, most of the members prefer to read genuine remarks and conversations taken from personal knowledge and beliefs, rather than read an obviously copied passage taken from some educational source, just to make a point. I had enough of all that at school, and college and certainly do not see the need for it here. I would suggest a little more personal knowledge or experiences rather than unwanted cut and pasted tutorials and news bulletins, would be a lot more welcome. Thank you.

Chris, speaking to you in your capacity as just a member thank you for that.
    You have put it so well, yes we are all human and this site allows us to relate to previous experiences and to pass comment on every day subjects.
    Yes we may not know it all and at times may make mistakes, but that is the beauty of this site, members are willing to accept that and from my experience of the site when some one has made an error and it is corrected by another it is done in a spirit of friendship.
    This is the skill we learned in our time at sea and for those who never sailed it may be hard to understand.

This is not a cut and paste but my own words.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was once going to be a Farmer, then a Seafarer, it we a toss up which way I went.
    I went to a Boarding School in Cheshire, near Congleton. It was mixed, boys and girls.
    It was owned by Bolton Education Committee, to give us a wider experience of education, this was in 1948, it cost our parents 15 shillings a week, [ 75p today]
    Any how, we had our own Farm both arable and animals, and we became members of the Young Farmers Club, also we had the Royal Horticultural Society membership.
    The whole lot was a very interesting experience, We would be taken to the Royal Agricultural Shows and so on,
    In the Autumn term the local farmers would hire us to work full time Potato picking, and pay us £1 and 5 shillings a week, not bad pay for a lad in 1948.
    I loved the life out in the fresh air instead of the smoke filled atmosphere of a Mill town where everyone coughs up their lungs.
    So we had a chance of going to the Royal Agricultural College to learn more, I had my name down for that, Then my brother came to visit me, He had just returned from his first trip to sea, a 12 Month voyage, on the ZUNGON, of Elder Dempsters, with tales of West Africa and the U.s. and New York, sounded more exciting. He brought me a Coconut and an American Candy Bar,
    I changed my mind and went to the Vindicatrix instead. and here I am , instead of writing to Farmers Weekly and am writing it here.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 21st October 2019 at 09:35 AM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Been a bit bewildered over the weekend as to remarks made in this thread and can see a little of
    how the error was made following #38, it would appear possibly, in haste that John took my own
    post #23 in the wrong way. I was trying to assist just adding relevant information re: "I think in
    Europe and UK it is known as Rape seed. "

The reply: Well what a load of cr?p was not appropriate, although removed.

Thanks to Captain Kong for #39 above and hope things can move on now
    in the same sensible way.

Regards,

Keith.

12. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4