Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Farming / environment

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Farming / environment

Although I can defend farming in that more land is required to feed the UKs rising population there are one or two ways they could at little cost to them,firstly why do they cut hedgerows every year not only bird life depend on all the fruits and berries to survive throughout the winter months also providing nest sites but many small mammals have the same needs .Cutting them every two years would certainly help,really I don't see why the cut them at all.Ask any farmer why they cut them ,they will reply it tidies them up this reply I have Han many times .If they let a strip of of land say about two or three metre wide in each crop and planted species of plant tha attracts insects as in my opinion this is the reason why many species have been decimated ie,birds and small mammals including Hedgehogs .One farmer has already somewhere in the UK actually done this and the results in attracting wildlife has been unbelievable .Id love to see this happen with the farming community but. Something tells me it won't.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Farming / environment

Quote Originally Posted by dave moore View Post
    Although I can defend farming in that more land is required to feed the UKs rising population there are one or two ways they could at little cost to them,firstly why do they cut hedgerows every year not only bird life depend on all the fruits and berries to survive throughout the winter months also providing nest sites but many small mammals have the same needs .Cutting them every two years would certainly help,really I don't see why the cut them at all.Ask any farmer why they cut them ,they will reply it tidies them up this reply I have Han many times .If they let a strip of of land say about two or three metre wide in each crop and planted species of plant tha attracts insects as in my opinion this is the reason why many species have been decimated ie,birds and small mammals including Hedgehogs .One farmer has already somewhere in the UK actually done this and the results in attracting wildlife has been unbelievable .Id love to see this happen with the farming community but. Something tells me it won't.
    Have just spent the day on a friends farm.

Do you live in the city/town or countryside where ever you live influences your views.

I think farmers know best how to manage their farms, with crop rotation, lay fallow, etc, as far as hedges are concerned they are not allowed to cut between May and October, those farms with hedges bordering public roads have to cut them every year, although that doesn't always happen when there are verges. In Devon most of our road structure is narrow roads and single track roads, these have to be cut back every year. The height of the hedge depends upon locality, the prevailing wind direction, the lower the hedge the more chance of wind borne soil erosion, the wind factor also influences the depth of hedge to be left. Farmers are well aware of the best factors in their areas to sustain and encourage the wild life which is beneficial to their particular land. They are also business people and require their acreage to be productive to sustain their farms.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having had family involved in farming and having worked for over 25 years in food processing I think that you need to realise that farmers with current land prices are very asset rich but have a poor realisation on their assets. If a dairy is paying them 30 pence a litre for milk they are making around 1 pence per litre of the milk produced any less they are making a loss. They keep going because they will have a bigger loss by getting out of the market. Average herd sizes for milk producing cows has gone up 10 fold in the last 20 years. I think people want to realise the farmers have a hard time I'm making a good living. Particularly this applies when they're dealing with livestock. In the interest of supermarket getting the cheapest meet the cheapest milk and products on the shelf the Farmer really has his back to the wall. So to talk about what they should do brilliantly to help the environment would be a wonderful idea ear all they have to do is to be able to afford it
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe at he present time farmers are paid a subsidy where areas of their land are set aside ,could not a similar scheme be applied in just for providing a tiny percentage of their land to give a great help to wildlife.One very small strip multiplied by thousands farms would amount to acres upon acres for wildlife.One of the problems of present schemes is that when first seeded with flora to encourage wildlife is allowed to be overgrown with couch grass and not re-seeded,I have personal experience of this .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They are not allowed to cut hedges from 1st of March to 1st of September

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dave moore View Post
    They are not allowed to cut hedges from 1st of March to 1st of September
    I have no intention of getting into a tit-for-tat Dave, but different Councils have different rules depending on local climatic conditions, I have had first hand experience of our local rules and living in a conservation area. We have farmers who do leave areas for wild life and also meadow plants. In fact our local Council has a programme of sowing meadow plants on all wide verges along the A38/A383 and other main routes where the planting does not interfere with vision and road signs. That's all from me on the subject as I can envision this going round in circles

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The dates are countrywide ,for your information most species of birds begin breeding in hedgerows from early in the year ,Robins Thrushes and Blackbirds are early breeders ,soif you know of any councils that begin in May they are breaking the law .I rest my case.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Councils here in the north east also have seeded roadsides with wild flower species, problem is roadsides are one of the most polluted areas in the country ,the environment is continually under attack from emissions from traffic.i am an avid collector of wild fruits and areas by roadsides I wouldn't touch where bramble bushes grow as they are coated in emissions from traffic and have areas that bushes have died off.it is my opinion that the planting there of flora is appearing to be doing the right thing on behalf of the them.i know ot areas that look fabulous during flowering then the bloody council have cut them down,what a waste of time and money .The flowers benefit insects and butterflies but the most important part are the seeds the sustain wildlife during the winter months.My first post was I think mis- understood I was not meaning that the farmers paid for it themselves but the government subsidised itWhere I live right out in the sticks all the lanes are narrow and have never experienced any danger in driving along them with reference to uncut hedges,the only danger is of drivers speeding along them having no respect to others.,the same ones who through the litter out of their car windows.if we don't do something trying to help our wildlife it I'll disappear in time and I honestly believe what I have stated doesn't happen our grandchildren will experience an environment with very little wildlife and I am not a Swampy who superglued himself to cars etc I just love the countryside and dont want to see it damaged beyond repair.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Farmers here in Oz have two matters to deal with, drought, which currently is extremely bad in some regions.
    The ridiculous price they receive for their milk.
    They sell to the big conglomorates who then package and market it to supermarkets.
    Supermarkets sell at $1 a litre as a loss leader.
    Customers say the supermarkets should pay the farmers more many not understanding how the system works.

As to hedge rows, very few here, but in Ireland there are plenty and like UK must not be cut between March and October.

Fine but the problem is many are never cut, try driving along some country roads there and see what I mean.
    Hedge rows over three meters tall on roads that in many cases are little better than cow tracks.
    Surfaced by so windy it is hard to see the next corner.
    But when driving on them you need to do at least 80kph as the local behind you is traying to do 90kph.
    Great fun, I think not!!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Farmers here in Oz have two matters to deal with, drought, which currently is extremely bad in some regions.
    The ridiculous price they receive for their milk.
    They sell to the big conglomorates who then package and market it to supermarkets.
    Supermarkets sell at $1 a litre as a loss leader.
    Customers say the supermarkets should pay the farmers more many not understanding how the system works.

As to hedge rows, very few here, but in Ireland there are plenty and like UK must not be cut between March and October.

Fine but the problem is many are never cut, try driving along some country roads there and see what I mean.
    Hedge rows over three meters tall on roads that in many cases are little better than cow tracks.
    Surfaced by so windy it is hard to see the next corner.
    But when driving on them you need to do at least 80kph as the local behind you is traying to do 90kph.
    Great fun, I think not!!!!!
    some supermarkets here offer milk a few pennies dearer which goes direct to the farmers, which may go a little way to helping them.

12. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast