Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Conkers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Conkers

I for one miss the information generated on the political threads of past, about Oz, NZ and the UK, shame a few writing bullies spoilt it for those of us that enjoy politics and current events. Now I have to go to the other M.N site to get my info.

Cheers, Rodney

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Conkers

Colin,

I brought a bagful of conkers home, back years ago from my last visit to the UK, to show my sons how to play.

I left what was left over in a bag and realized that the rotten pest—Fruit-flies— we get inundated with had vanished. Fruit-flies are about a third the size of gnats and love lips, ears, nasal passages and bugging the heck out of one trying to read, eat, watch TV etc..

I used to have to go every couple of months to Paris on business, and in season there were heaps laying around the streets. I must have looked a bit strange in a business suit with brief case gathering a bag full of conkers...still being as I was born and raised in England, I qualified for "Mad dogs and Englishmen gather horse chestnuts in the noonday sun."

The conkers, hidden in corners etc. lasted for an annual visitation by the little barstewards.

My honorary adopted German son, sends me over a bag, or brings them when he visits.

They don't grow in South Carolina, thus are almost worth their weight in gold (to me).

Cheers, Rodney

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4