Thread: Climate Change -Again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Climate Change -Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    I could be wrong but, believe that climate change is more
    about trends over long periods than personal observations.

Keith.
    Alas without personal observations the trends wouldn't be recorded

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Personal as in tourist etc / rather than personnel.
    No one would see climate change on a day trip for example.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 22nd February 2020 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How I spent my doctor free morning.

I typed in:

Evidence against climate change?

"Evidence Mounts Against So-Called Climate Change Hiatus ...https://www.livescience.com/61010-ev...ge-hiatus.html"

Just charges against, no evidence against, opinion only, waste of time.

https://www.livescience.com/61010-ev...ge-hiatus.html

More of the same example: "Many scientists dispute global warming..." no who, what, when, graphs, diagrams, names, etc.scientific back-up.

5 Scientific Reasons That Global Warming Isn't Happeninghttps://townhall.com/.../5-scientific-reasons-that-global-warming-isnt-happening-n1796423

There hasn't been any global warming since 1997: If nothing changes in the next year, we're going …
    There is no scientific consensus that global warming is occurring and caused by man...:

(Question3 of 5) Arctic ice is up 50% since 2012: The loss of Arctic ice has been a big talking point for people who believe global warming is occurring. Some people have even predicted that all of the Arctic ice would melt by now because of global warming. Yet, Arctic ice is up 50% since 2012.

No facts, no names of scientific organizations or scientists, documentation, just some guy said. waste of my time.

Between question 2 and 3 was the following survey question.

Click Yes or NoDoes Trump deserve a 2nd term as president?Vote here Right Wing ** Yes or No

The Site then advertises for Fox News...enough said.

Only three sites plus three FOR global warming, guess they have to fill the page.* It would look a bit barren with just three.

I then typed in:

Is there evidence of climate change today?

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/How do we know the Earth's climate is warming?

"Thousands of land and ocean temperature measurements are recorded each day around the globe. This includes measurements from climate reference stations, weather stations, ships, buoys and autonomous gliders in the oceans. These surface measurements are also supplemented with satellite measurements.

These measurements are processed, examined for random and systematic errors, and then finally combined to produce a time series of global average temperature change. A number of agencies around the world have produced datasets of global-scale changes in surface temperature using different techniques to process the data and remove measurement errors that could lead to false interpretations of temperature trends.

The warming trend that is apparent in all of the independent methods of calculating global temperature change is also confirmed by other independent observations, such as the melting of mountain glaciers on every continent, reductions in the extent of snow cover, earlier blooming of plants in spring, a shorter ice season on lakes and rivers, ocean heat content, reduced arctic sea ice, and rising sea levels.

Global average temperature is one of the most-cited indicators of global climate change, and shows an increase of approximately 1.4°F since the early 20th Century. The global surface temperature is based on air temperature data over land and sea-surface temperatures observed from ships, buoys and satellites.

There is a clear long-term global warming trend, while each individual year does not always show a temperature increase relative to the previous year, and some years show greater changes than others. These year-to-year fluctuations in temperature are due to natural processes, such as the effects of El Niņos, La Niņas, and the eruption of large volcanoes.

Notably, the 20 warmest years have all occurred since 1981, and the 10 warmest have all occurred in the past 12 years.

Global mean sea level has been rising at an average rate of approximately 1.7 mm/year over the past 100 years (measured from tide gauge observations), which is significantly larger than the rate averaged over the last several thousand years.

Since 1993, global sea level has risen at an accelerating rate of around 3.5 mm/year. Much of the sea level rise to date is a result of increasing heat of the ocean causing it to expand. It is expected that melting land ice (e.g. from Greenland and mountain glaciers) will play a more significant role in contributing to future sea level rise.

While ocean heat content varies significantly from place to place and from year-to-year (as a result of changing ocean currents and natural variability), there is a strong trend during the period of reliable measurements.

Increasing heat content in the ocean is also consistent with sea level rise, which is occurring mostly as a result of thermal expansion of the ocean water as it warms.Warming temperatures lead to the melting of glaciers and ice sheets.

The total volume of glaciers on Earth is declining sharply. Glaciers have been retreating worldwide for at least the last century; the rate of retreat has increased in the past decade. Only a few glaciers are actually advancing (in locations that were well below freezing, and where increased precipitation has outpaced melting).

The progressive disappearance of glaciers has implications not only for a rising global sea level, but also for water supplies in certain regions of Asia and South America Climate change: evidence and causes...."

Royal Societyhttps://royalsociety.org/topics-policy/projects/climate-change-evidence-causes/basics

"Scientists have examined greenhouse gases in the context of the past. Analysis of air trapped inside ice that has been accumulating over time in Antarctica shows that the CO2 concentration began to increase significantly in the 19th century (see Figure b3), after staying in the range of 260 to 280 ppm for the previous 10,000 years.

Ice core records extending back 800,000 years show that during that time, CO2 concentrations remained within the range of 170 to 300 ppm throughout many ‘ice age’ cycles - learn about the ice ages - and no concentration above 300 ppm is seen in ice core records until the past 200 years.

Climate records show a warming trend Estimating global average surface air temperature increase requires careful analysis of millions of measurements from around the world, including from land stations, ships, and satellites.

Despite the many complications of synthesising such data, multiple independent teams have concluded separately and unanimously that global average surface air temperature has risen by about 0.8 °C (1.4 °F) since 1900 (see Figure b4). Although the record shows several pauses and accelerations in the increasing trend, each of the last three decades has been warmer than any other decade in the instrumental record since 1850.Weather shows evidence of climate change every single day"

...https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...2020/01/...Jan 16, 2020*·

"Children born in 2012 haven’t lived a single day unaffected by climate change. ... Weather shows evidence of climate change every single day since 2012. ... “Today, what’s normal was Climate change - Evidence for climate change...." |

Cheers Rodney
    Last edited by Rodney Mills; 22nd February 2020 at 06:21 PM.

4. Thanks Les Woodard, N/A, Trevor Bodiam thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    Personal as in tourist etc / rather than personnel.
    No one would see climate change on a day trip for example.

K.

Keith I know you like the last word, but my point was it was a personal record of a temperature, nowhere did I mention climate change, I have tried to steer clear of this merry go round which is only bound to end up at the same destination as the Dodo Bird

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Initially, under the thread title Climate Change -Again you mentioned trends wouldn't be recorded,
    which I had mentioned: trends over long periods also this is not just temperature. I do agree that
    not only this thread but the previous are going around in circles and clearly if there is no climate
    change why all the discussion. Best clear information has been provided by Rodney #248.

K.

7. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes Trevor Bodiam liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I rest my case !!

9. Likes Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree too

11. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is unfortunate that there are so many old geezers around about our ages that are making decisions about climate change. Reading the posts on this subject I feel for the likes of Rodney that are trying to argue with facts against a deluge of fiction and as has been proved in the past? If you keep repeating a lie long and often enough it soon takes on the appearance of a fact. Our man in power (Scotty from marketing) and his merry men do not believe what the scientist are saying on the subject but do believe the scientists when it comes to the Coronavirus and acts straight away. He would be well at home on this thread for sure. Just thankful that the younger generation and over 70 countries have seen fit to act on this. As said before? Even if they have it wrong it can not do the climate any harm in reducing our input can it. One bit of information that was on the TV and seems to have disappeared from the airwaves is that they have found seaweed will soak up more CO2 that trees and Australia having such a large coastline could be a life saver to the world by generating its growth. Then again it could just have been some one with a pet theory pushing their barrow. All I know for certain is that I will not be around to see the outcome of all this so why the feck should I stand in the way of those that will. What advantage is for any of us at our ages to ridicule those that will be.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The main problem as I see it is this.
    We as mere mortals have only what we read or see in the media to guide us, and that is often distorted to suit the media source.
    As Rodders shows there are many stories out there about this and even more theories, which is correct is up to personal interpretation.

Then the hyporcay of so many nations on this matter, Norway is an example, wants to be zero emission but continues to export oil and gas.

It was announced today that the emissions from Oz have dropped by 2.5%, but we continue to export gas and coal which add to our emissions target.

There is talk about zero net emissions, which many will see as no emissions what so ever, nothing could be further from the truth, but why stand in the way of a good story.
    Total zero emission means no living life on Earth.!

The fact is no matter how much man talks about it the eventual outcome will all be around the mighty dollar, which reins supreme.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes Rodney Mills liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Agree with:

The fact is no matter how much man talks about it the eventual outcome will all be around the mighty dollar, which reins supreme.

The fossil fuel industry, political lobbyists, media moguls and individuals have spent the past 30 years sowing doubt about the reality of climate change - where none exists. The latest estimate is that the world’s five largest publicly-owned oil and gas companies spend about US$200 million a year on lobbying to control, delay or block binding climate policy.

Their hold on the public seems to be waning. Two recent polls suggested over 75% of Americans think humans are causing climate change. School climate strikes, Extinction Rebellion protests, national governments declaring a climate emergency, improved media coverage of climate change and an increasing number of extreme weather events have all contributed to this shift. There also seems to be a renewed optimism that we can deal with the crisis.

But this means lobbying has changed, now employing more subtle and more vicious approaches – what has been termed as “climate sadism”. It is used to mock young people going on climate protests and to ridicule Greta Thunberg, a 16-year-old young woman with Asperger’s, who is simply telling the scientific truth.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 24th February 2020 at 05:51 AM.

16. Thanks Rodney Mills, Trevor Bodiam thanked for this post
    Likes Rodney Mills liked this post
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast