Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29

Thread: Climate Change -Again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Climate Change -Again.

Living in Singapore and Jakarta for twenty years the length of days and nights varied by ten minutes. In Singapore the rules of the road required a motor vehicle from sunset to sunrise to have its driving lights on from 7pm to 7am year round. In Java, Indonesia our home was originally half way between Jakarta and Bogor. The nearby high mountains meant that the rainfall could be very intense. The locals said there were two seasons, the Wet and the Dry and as one old 'Bapak' said to me with a twinkle in his eye; "two seasons. Tuan, the Wet and the Dry. In the wet season it is always raining, and in the dry it sometimes doesn't".
    Whether it be a natural developing climate change, dramatic population increase, raping of our natural vegetation and wildlife, plastic misuse, volcanic emissions or whatever; accepting there was WW2 in between, I feel very privileged to have my mind filled with images, sounds and scents from days of yore.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

2. Thanks Keith at Tregenna, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Keith at Tregenna, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Woodard View Post
    Just get back to basics and common sense for a change. If the deniers are wrong then the end is not going to be pleasant. If the climate activist are wrong then in years to come we end up with a cleaner world and still plenty of fossil fuels to mine to bring prosperity to the population. Personally I am in the later camp and at least leave a clean and prosperous world to those that come after us. Anyone can go on the internet and drag up examples to suite their personal cause. Trouble is they stop looking once they find something to assist their argument unlike scientists that try to probe a bit deeper to prove that theory.

We owe it to younger and future generations.

Keith.
    "Our veterans did not forget about us .... Let's not forget about them." From Michael Levesque

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#281.. Richard thatís about the difference between Civil and Nautical twilights. Pity didnít have an almanac to check up on. You could say you were jumping from one twilight zone to another twilight zone.
    Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; Today at 08:38 AM.

5. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Likes Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#280 That’s very true John but doesn’t answer my problem about the appendix. If by any chance before I pop my clogs, I should suffer from appendicitis , I would hate to think I was parting with my boiler mounting the salonometer cock. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; Today at 08:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JS you've just instigated an interest that did not come to light between the ship's pantry and saloon. I am interested in the Civil, Nautical and Astronomical twilight as it applies, to say, Singapore - and of course Mandalay where the dawn comes up like thunder - and Perthshire, Scotland where I spent a few years. The difference in the morning and evening twilight, especially in mid-summer in our country situation in Perthshire was absolutely delightful compared to Singapore aprox 7am/pm Bingo! the latter accompanied with hoards of anopheles mosquitoes.
    I've got some reading to do.
    Cheers, Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

8. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You’ve really got me. Thinking now Richard. I know the twilight was the time you had to shoot what stars whilst you still had a horizon . Thinking back as to twilight time Civil and nautical would be the different times the sun was descending from the horizon and below. Forget which was which but think nautical would be longer maybe by the 10 minutes or so. Your twilight length would depend on your latitude and the time of the year which would alter the Suns declination. As you know in Northern parts of Norway for instance in summer time the sun hardly sets. Also going back to basics the earth moves at varying speeds around the sun , but we assume the sun is moving at varying speeds around us. When you get into celestial trigonometry you have to have a bit more open mind. For example if you asked how many degrees in a. Triangle most would say 180, if you asked someone how many could you possibly have in a celestial triangle the answer would be anything between 180 and 540. Sounds totally unreasonable I know. When you get into celestial navigation you have to change your way of thinking. Going back to basics again most people think there is only one horizon,there are 3. The visible which everyone knows , then there is the sensible horizon, and the rational horizon. It’s a lot of years now since I used so those statements are EOE, ( errors and omissions excepted ) may all come back to me after I have sent this. Regards JS. PS Today is proof of the varying speeds and time today is the 29 February. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; Today at 12:22 PM.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29