Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change -Again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Climate Change -Again.

Very interesting reading there.

In the news last week it would appear there has been a change of opinion as to how the earth came about.
    Gone it appears is the 'big bang theory' gone the 'ball of gas theory', replaced by the theory that small particles of space rock slowly bound together over time.

As to the 'tilt' of the earth.
    This was a not a reference to the normal tilt.
    Rather to the comment of a Magnetic Compass Adjuster friend of mine who is convinced that magnetic north has moved by over 1 degree.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Mills View Post
    "How Does the Tilt of the Earth Effect the weather Sciencinghttps:// Sciencing.com/tilt-earth-affect-weather-8591690.htm

"Earth's axis is tilted by approximately 23.5 degrees. In other words, Earth's daily rotation is shifted by 23.5 degrees with regard to its yearly revolution around the sun. This axial tilt is the reason why Earth experiences different seasons throughout the year, and also why summer and winter occur opposite each other on either side of the equator -- and with greater intensity farther away from the equator." How Does the Tilt of the Earth Affect the Weather? | Sciencinghttps://sciencing.com/t

The Weather Channel

"Over the past century, Earth’saxis –the imaginary line that passes through the North and South Poles –has drifted about 4 inches, and adecrease in Greenland's ice mass isthe main contributor to the wobble, the space agency has announced.

As temperatures increased throughout the 20th century because of humans, Greenland's ice mass decreased."A total of about 7,500 gigatons — the weight of more than 20 million Empire State Buildings — of Greenland's ice melted into the ocean during this time period," NASA said in a press release. "This makes Greenland one of the top contributors of mass being transferred to the oceans, causing sea level to rise and, consequently, a drift in Earth's spin axis.""

I found this by googling Has the world tilted more? And does it effect climate change. Their are many articles in the same vein and none refuting it.

I would be interested in reading articles, be an identified reputable scientific source, refuting the above claims.

Please post same. A guy talking recently on the radio, no change in my back yard, or I felt a bump when I crossed the equator does not qualify as a reliable scientific report.

Cheers Rodney

Rodders,
    Rising waters, I was always of the opinion that water if it rises will find a level.
    Here in Melbourne I can see that there has been no change in water levels anywhere along the coast or in the ports.
    Despite what many scientists say I find it fanciful that melting ice in Greenland would move the earth that much.
    Greenland was in the time of the Vikings just that, a Greenland.
    Somewhere over the past 800 years or so it became what it is today.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Captain Kong, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

The Vikings arrived in Greenland at the end of the 10th century. They were led by Erik Thorvaldsson (c.950-1003), known as Erik the Red because of his red hair. Erik first sailed to Greenland about 982 and he like what he saw. Erik the Red is said to have given the country its name 'Greenland' hoping it would attract settlers. At any rate around 985 Erik led the first Viking settlers to Greenland. He set out with a fleet of 25 ships but only 14 of them made it.

The Vikings were able to live in Greenland because at that time the climate of was milder that it is today and the settlers were able to live by farming. The Vikings made two settlements in Greenland, a Western and an Eastern settlement. Eventually the European population of Greenland rose to over 3,000. In 1126 Greenland gained a bishop and in 1261 Greenland became part of Norway. Then in 1380 Norway was joined to Denmark and Greenland came under Danish rule.

Throughout history the climate of the Earth has varied. In the 10th century the Earth was relatively warm. That allowed the Vikings to settle on Greenland. However in the early 14th century the Earth cooled spelling doom for the colonies in Greenland. The Viking settlements in Greenland died out in the 15th century.

K.

4. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Isn't that the nub of the matter regarding climate change, the Earth over the years has had hot and cold spells, as the planet moves through its cycles.
    Vic

Keith at Tregenna Guest

As Earth’s climate has constantly been changing — even long before humans came into the picture but, scientists have observed unusual changes recently. For example, Earth’s average temperature has been increasing much more quickly than they would expect over the past 150 years.

Some parts of Earth are warming faster than others. But on average, global air temperatures near Earth's surface have gone up about 2 degrees Fahrenheit in the past 100 years. In fact, the past five years have been the warmest five years in centuries.

Many people, including scientists, are concerned about this warming. As Earth’s climate continues to warm, the intensity and amount of rainfall during storms such as hurricanes is expected to increase. Droughts and heat waves are also expected to become more intense as the climate warms.

When the whole Earth’s temperature changes by one or two degrees, that change can have big impacts on the health of Earth's plants and animals, too.

K.

7. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Johnno, just a quickie,

In answer to the levels of the world's oceans:

The waters of the worlds oceans are not level. The are governed by enormous currents that are like roads running through the country side.

* There is a current that runs over a great part of the eastern seaboard of North America that when the level of that current raises causes flooding and will cause even greater flooding if it continues to raise, of course in conjunction with the level of the land.* Land outside the area within the currents will not be flooded.
    Also. the East coast current will not effect the West Coast (They have currents that effect various areas too) of North America, but not Europe or Australia, they have their own currents.

England has a current that runs down it's east coast which effects Norfolk, but not Boltonistan, and so on around Europe, India etc.

The worlds oceans are not "a level playing field".

As for volcanoes, they have been here forever and were factored into the climate equation, including the ones under the oceans.
    The weather too has always been cyclical, it's the changes that have happened since the Industrial Revolution that have progressed climate change.* Adding to the pollution that was always a natural occurrances, i.e. volcanoes, bushfires etc., but not plastics, internal combustion engines, coal fires, etc..

Got to run, Doctor's visits (twice today)...Yes dear, coming....Cheers, Rodney

9. Thanks N/A, Les Woodard, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, N/A, Les Woodard liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John seems to me people don’t know the difference between climate and weather, a bit akin to ass and elbows. Climate is totally due to the tilt of the earth and gives us our seasons which to me means climate. Weather is come about by local conditions aggravated by monsoons etc. The sun is the predominate factor as regards both weather and climate , our distance from which varies day by day has different aspects to the cooling and heating of the different parts of the earths surface. The 23.5 degrees which marks our Tropic of Cancer and Capricorn has been known since man studied the heavens. Any alteration from the present or near past conditions of any orbital path is going to have affects on changes to a greater or lesser degree, to change such Dan Dare would have to be resurrected to find the little green mekon who with that little body and huge green head which I assume would be full of brains , could be consulted. All the best brains in the world cannot see into the future , and at present with all the meteorological instruments available to man which should make weather reporting a doddle , I feel sure they don’t always get 10 out of 10. As said before your compass adjuster who will know well the variation as to the magnetic property’s of the earth has changed over a period of time and will have his own views on what people are screaming about climate change and to what degree they are possibly correct. However if he is an ex seaman he will know by his own experiences , that a lot of the slaver is just that slaver. I mentioned to someone they should bring into the equation a Sidereal day or better known as a Star day , which used to be 23 hrs 56 minutes and 27 seconds. Any change to this would be a certain indication that the earths orbital path and its relation to its natural satellites had changed. On the other hand maybe better not to know. For those not navigators the 23.5 degrees is when the sun reaches its furthest N or Sly declination. Cheers John S.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey John
    You should have been a Scientist on Weather issues and Climate change mate!
    LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

13. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Climate activism! What about something that is really related to human activity. PLASTIC. Its use should have been very restricted and disposal carefully controlled as with the nuclear industry. When I took this photo in 1947 half way between Fremantle and Durban these magnificent albatross would not be chocking to death leaving their chicks waiting for but dying of starvation.
    Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

15. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My son and his family have just returned from Lapland , Arctic Finland,
    on a Photo it shows a sign showing the temperature, , MINUS 26 c.
    so I would assume that it is normal for the time and place in this world.
    So where is the climate change ????

Keith at Tregenna Guest

I could be wrong but, believe that climate change is more
    about trends over long periods than personal observations.

Keith.

Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast