Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change -Again.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Climate Change -Again.

I cant get one of those, I bought my little KIA car 14 years ago and cannot afford to change. it. All my moos lum neighbors have them,

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    Donald Trump told Prince Charles US has 'clean climate'

President blames other countries for environmental crisis, in long talk with prince......................

So that's that / all clear.

K,

Not to certain if the President is the best chap to sort climate change. All was clear yesterday and now he seems to be on another planet ?

Followers of astronomy were in for a surprise on Friday, when Donald Trump announced that the moon is part of Mars.
    In a tweet, apparently commenting on his own administration’s space policy, the president said: “For all of the money we are spending, NASA should NOT be talking about going to the Moon - We did that 50 years ago.”

He added: “They should be focused on the much bigger things we are doing, including Mars (of which the Moon is a part), Defense and Science!”

The White House did not immediately respond to a Guardian question about whether Trump’s statement should be considered official guidance. In ancient times the moon was worshipped as a god, while more recently some children’s stories have speculated that it is made of cheese.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...box=1559936659
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 9th June 2019 at 09:17 AM.

3. Likes Rodney Mills liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"THE STUDENT STRIKE"

Hello, hello, hello what a surprise.

Attention, students. Because so many of you missed Friday’s classes, what with your little climate party and all, today I’m assigning extra work.

Let’s begin with mathematics. 558,400,000 is a really big number. Can anyone here tell me what it might represent? No?

Well, that’s the amount in tonnes of carbon dioxide that Australia emitted last year.

I’ll just pause here for a minute until Samantha stops crying. By the way, Samantha, your sign at the climate rally needed a possessive apostrophe and “planet” was spelled incorrectly, so I’m putting you back in remedial English again.

Where were we? Oh, yes. 558,400,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide.

Let’s see how we can reduce that number. Ban coal mining? That’ll knock off a big chunk.

Ban petrol-powered vehicles? Good call. That’s another slab of emissions gone.

Does the class believe we should ban all mining? You do. Interesting, nickel or cadmium.

Good luck getting to school in electric cars without those.

And there’ll be no more steel wind turbines once the iron ore mines are closed. It’s just the price we’ll have to pay, I suppose.

Even with all those bans, however, Australia will still be churning out carbon dioxide by the magical solar-powered truckload. Cuts need to go much further.

More people means more human activity which means more carbon dioxide, so let’s permanently ban immigration. Is the class agreed?

Hmmm. You’re not quite so enthusiastic about that one. Come on, students. Sacrifices must be made.

Speaking of which, how many of you have grandparents? Not any more you don’t.

And Samantha is crying again. Can someone please take her to the school safe space and let her “process some emotions”, or whatever the hell it is you kids do in there? Thank you.

Sing along with Kim Carnes: “All the world knows of her charms / She’s got / Stop Adani arms”
    Who agrees we need to simplify our lives in order to reduce emissions? Returning to earlier times, when emissions were much lower, might help save our earth.

So goodbye to air travel, the internet and your cell phones. People got by without them in the past and they’ll survive without them in our sustainable future.

Still, those emissions will be way too high. Just for fun, let’s ban Australia and see what happens.

All factories, houses, streets, farms – gone. All people gone. Every atom of human presence on this land mass, completely erased.

At that point we’ll have finally cut our emissions to nothing. We’ve subtracted an annual 558,400,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

Congratulations, children. By eliminating Australia, you’ve just reduced the world’s yearly generation of carbon dioxide from 37,100,000,000 tonnes to just … 36,541,600,000 tonnes.

Still, every tiny reduction helps, right? Maybe not. Let’s have a quick geography lesson. Tyler, please point out China on this map. No; that’s Luxembourg. China is a bit bigger. Try over here. There you go.

Here’s the thing about China. How long will it take for China to produce Australia? One year? Two years? Five years?

Not quite. Start the carbon dioxide clock on China right now, and that one enormous nation will have matched our annual output by April 5. China adds a whole Australia to the global emissions total every twenty days.

For that matter, China will have added another 1,190,953 tonnes by the end of this one-hour class.

Even a tiny increase in China’s output puts Australia in the shade. Various experts last year estimated that China was on course for a five per cent carbon dioxide boost.

This would mean an extra 521,637,550 tonnes – or basically what Australia generates. Our total is the same as China’s gentle upswing.

So maybe your protest was in the wrong country. Here’s another assignment: write letters to the Chinese government demanding it stops dragging people out of poverty.

Make sure you include your full name and address, because the Chinese government is kind of big on keeping records. Send a photograph of yourself standing in front of your parents’ house.

You might repeat this process in India. In fact, rather than going to Europe for your next big family holiday, prevail upon your parents to visit India instead. The tiny village of Salaidih would be the perfect place to tell slum-dwelling residents they shouldn’t have electricity.

They’ll probably thank you for it. Or they should, if they aren’t stupid climate deniers. Indian paupers must avoid making the same tragic affluence

Can you imagine how terrible is would be for the earth if all of India’s one billion-plus population owned cars and air-conditioners? It really doesn’t bear thinking about.

One further assignment: tonight, locate a clean, green alternative source for $66 billion in exports. That’s how much was raised last year by the Australian coal industry.

Working it out won’t be too much of a challenge, I’m sure. After all, you know science and stuff. About half of your signs on Friday claimed you know more about all these things than does the Prime Minister.

Also, we may need to acknowledge that carbon dioxide is actually good for the planet. The plants are all thriving as a result of the current levels of CO2 – our scientists tell us that the planet has never been greener. Oh dear perhaps we should ignore this aspect as it doesn’t suit our protest argument…….

Show him how advanced your brains are by devising a brand-new multi-billion export bonanza.

Hey, look who’s back! Feeling better, Samantha? That’s nice. Feelings are the most important thing of all.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I first came to Australia to join the Bermuda Trader in 1960,the biggest continuing news was that the Great Barrier Reef was dying from Crown of Thorns and beaching and would be dead in 10 years. Thats close to 60 years ago!!.
    The other weather news was that the mouth of the Murray River was closing and they were considering dredging to keep it open. That was before 90% of the present irrigation was drained from the river.
    So whats is actually happening?

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not a lot, Colin.
    The reef is suffering from farmers spraying their fields and crops with Herbicides, Pesticides , Weed killers etc, this flows down the rivers when it rains and into the sea and then kills the reef, infects the fish etc..
    In March very heavy rain in Queensland by Cairns and flooding Townsville, when I was there a few months ago, thousands of tons of soil was washed onto the Reef covering it with soil.
    This also happens world wide and could possibly the cause of many Cancers and Dementia when all those Chemicals flow into the reservoirs. and we drink it, over the years this builds up in the body.
    If these Chemicals can KILL Insects, Kill Weeds, what are they doing to our bodies and brains when they are building up in our water and food chains.??
    I have water filters to try to keep the chemicals out when I make tea or coffee or drink the water.

Many small ports have closed so the dredging has stopped. so sand bars build up, river water doesnt get out fast enough and the rivers overflow and flood the land upstream.
    This is happening in Fleetwood causing floods inland, flooding the town of St Michaels last summer, The Idiots call it Global warming or Climate Change. All they need to do is dredge the rivers.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 9th June 2019 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats exactly what is happening here on the Island, in the potato picking season, the soil is washed down the Arreton valley. and into Newport harbour, once in the harbour the soil is contaminated with the salt water, and now needs a dredging licence to remove it, which the Council says they cannot afford, so the harbour is silting up.It was suggested that they assist the farmers to dredge the stream before it reaches the harbour, where it can be put back on the land, the answer to that was it would cost too much money, kt
    R689823

9. Thanks Captain Kong, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Prince Charles warns it may be too late to save the planet after challenging Trump on climate change

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/08/princ...hange-9871875/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We Just had an election which the Liberal coalition won, mainly in Queensland over the Adani Mine and jobs, 2,500 of them, that is until the election was over now it seems that the job market shrunk and disappeared somewhere, they now say that there could be around 100 jobs somewhere in Queensland, so what the four X is all the talk about climate change.
    Des

12. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

When it's sunny I think, 'Beer garden.'
    When it rains I usually go to the pub for a while.
    When it's snowing I like to sit in front of the TV with a case of beer.
    I'm starting to think I have a problem with the weather!

K.

14. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des mater it is like this.

The politician and others who claim to know it all about 'Climate Change' will only tell us what suits them.
    The results of computer conclusion based on what is entered into the system at the time.

Much of the influence is brought about by those with the most to gain from all of this.
    The man who invented the electric car, the wind turbine etc, they will get the most out of it.

We are told that burning coal or using conventional vehicle is bad for the planet, all again based on computer conclusions.

While there are many countries, mainly western, that are consumed by the matter, there are as many others who would not even know what it is all about.

We are told we must reduce emissions by a figure based on a previous figure from an earlier year?
    Why not ban all emissions?

But none of the experts take into account the global population, in 1980 it was about 4.2 billion, now close to 8.
    At that rate by 2040 it will be close to 10 or 11 billion.

All have to be fed, watered and housed, all of which will require power and somehow I do not see it all coming from wind and solar.
    Any system that has to rely on weather will always be unreliable, just like the weather forecasters.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast