Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Warming

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Globle Warming

Johno.

We (in South Carolina) usually have a magnificent fall season from mid Oct. to mid Dec and sometimes stretching into early January. We are freezing! It was 38°f almost zero Celsius. It's been cold, and raining, most days. I've pulled out all my winter clothes already and this morning I wore long underwear, two pair of winter socks, Long sleeve undershirt, Royal Navy sweater, balaclava, scarf, heavy down filled parka, under gloves and mittens. I looked like Nanook of the North on a bicycle. I did my ten miles, my fingers were frozen and so were my toes. I should be wearing a long sleeve under shirt, and lightweight zipped-up jacket and ordinary gloves.

We in South Carolina are not used to arctic conditions, but neither is the arctic used to getting warmer. Global warming doesn't matter about changing weather patterns and the interference to old bikies in S.C. or how hot it is in Cairns. It's the poles what count. Continue to lose the ice there and there's nothing to radiate the suns heat out to space and the world, not South Carolina, will heat up and the problems grow, as the mass of water in the form of LAND ice adds to the worlds oceans and raises.

I'll still be bloody cold tomorrow though.

I ain't preaching Johno (well much anyway), I do enjoy you posts, you do toss me some red-meat, thanks.

2. Thanks N/A, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Antarctic is still Freezing NOT Melting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whether global warming is real or imagined I was out in Denmark a few years ago and they were having an awful lot of problems with the Forestry there was being destroyed by acid rain from British power stations emitting sulphur which was being turned into sulphur trioxide in the exhaust gas and when mixed with water with dropping over Sweden and Denmark as sulfuric acid so despite whether the planet is warming up or cooling down I must admit that I am in favour of reducing pollution in the atmosphere particularly what we were referred to as Sox and nox . Coal fired power station output in the UK is less than 9% of our electricity needs but I would follow what was recommended by the Institute of electrical engineers many years ago and I would switch over the nuclear which of course would not be popular with anybody who thinks Green
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

5. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    Whether global warming is real or imagined I was out in Denmark a few years ago and they were having an awful lot of problems with the Forestry there was being destroyed by acid rain from British power stations emitting sulphur which was being turned into sulphur trioxide in the exhaust gas and when mixed with water with dropping over Sweden and Denmark as sulfuric acid so despite whether the planet is warming up or cooling down I must admit that I am in favour of reducing pollution in the atmosphere particularly what we were referred to as Sox and nox . Coal fired power station output in the UK is less than 9% of our electricity needs but I would follow what was recommended by the Institute of electrical engineers many years ago and I would switch over the nuclear which of course would not be popular with anybody who thinks Green
    Has the UK not recently signed a contract with the French company EDF along with China to build a Nuclear power station?s Um!!!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a8654371.html

7. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yesterday in Sydney 12 months worth of rain fell in four hours, the heaviest rainfall in one hundred years, severe floods, trains, buses unable to operate, high winds bringing down trees a 14 year old killed in a crash that possibly could have been avoided, despite the warnings people drove at speed through it and were swamped putting emergency workers at risk as there were falling power lines in the way.
    In Queensland the fires there as as bad as California, three thousand people told they must evacuate or they WILL burn to death, 300 have ignored the warning.
    Des

9. Thanks Captain Kong, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodders, I can agree with some of the comments by scientists and others, but also have serious doubts about some of it.
    We had the chief scientist here retire a couple of years ago and he wrote a very long article in the paper about the work they had been doing.
    He said the figures produced were far beyond the realms of possibility and if even half true the planet was doomed, but it was the figures the gov wanted to use as information for the people.
    He also indicated that the majority of scientists who made such claims as he were all employed as government scientists.

Today a scientist from Denmark was on our radios, he told us the Methane emissions could never be stopped as long as the planet had mammals. He also went on to say that the mounds built by Termites absorb Methane at a very high rate!!

As to the fires and floods, as you will know from your travels here it is quite normal.

Have a friend down in Gippsland, her family settled there in the early 1880's as cattle farmers, they began to keep records of sun, rain, temperatures, and a few other bits.
    There are over 20 books of which I have looked at many, the records show that conditions now are little changed over that time frame.

RLT was speaking about the California fires, if I am correct Australia, particularly Victoria and NSW are the worlds leading bush fire places with California not far behind along with some parts of France.

No matter what facts are produced there will be no final solution to this as long as man is on the planet.
    Heard today that the UK is to build five more Nuclear power plants to replace the coal, I do not have a problem with new forms of energy as long as they are efficient and we are not given the mushroom treatment by the gov.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Rodney Mills liked this post
    middlemount and bundaberg queensland australia
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the fires up here in sunny queensland, while we cannot say they were started by the green slime, the general consensus is they are to blame for the extreme severity of the fires because of governments pandering to their lock it up and don't touch it national parks, and their idealogical tree/brush clearing legislation.

13. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j hardy View Post
    the fires up here in sunny queensland, while we cannot say they were started by the green slime, the general consensus is they are to blame for the extreme severity of the fires because of governments pandering to their lock it up and don't touch it national parks, and their idealogical tree/brush clearing legislation.
    That I can well believe, they do far more damage than any bush fire with their stupid concepts and ideology.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The contract with EDF I believe it's for 3 power stations in conjunction with some funding from China I think that is 2 at Hinkley Point in one at Sizewell as well as an additional gas powered station 3 nuclear power stations are about half the projected requirement although my understanding is that there is a power station in France I believe it's called flamville where EDF are having some serious over budget and delay problems
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Lewis McColl Guest

Yes Rob, Flameville is well behind schedule and also well over budget. But this is also having knock on effects all over the world.
    https://www.burnham-on-sea.com/news/...erns-11-04-18/ One has to ask who the hell signed off on this deal in Government. Just shows how far the UK has slipped behind the rest. At one time we were world leaders in Nuclear power stations.

17. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast