Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Age

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Age

It’s not a military village as such Fouro. Being partially subsidized by various people is a non profit organisation unlike being there for too much commercial gain. Although saying that the beer isn’t very much cheaper. When my mother was in her eighties I remember her saying she had never been so well off, subsidized council rent, no TV licence, she reckoned she was better off than when the old man was alive and struggling to make a living. People of past years didn’t ask for and expect charity. However whenever I go back to UK it is easy to note the difference in people’s attitude to life as of then and now. I have given up arguing with my wife, she always wins. But want to make sure she is looked after if left alone. As well as amything else I can’t do the garden now either. Just want an easier life. Cheers JS....
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th November 2018 at 12:06 PM.

2. Thanks Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###a sensible move no doubt john .....it is no good waiting till its to late ....as for older persons of yesterday and today ....there is no comparison....my mother in law passed away some 5 years or so ...worked all her life ....also in a munitions factory during the last war in chorlton come hardy .....then the cigarette components factory in shields .....later a domestic in the shields hospital .....in her final years she said with all the old peoples benefits she had never been better of in her life ....she finally passed in the british legion care home in ripon ....an absolutely ist class establishment for old armed forces or there wives to spend there final days with excellent accom food and nursing second to none.....born in the 20s one of seven children her father a riveter in shields through the 30s and then the war years....she had seen hard times ....never heard her moan in the years i new her .....a fine old girl ......sadly missed.....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#10... Now Cappy she might just shock Fouro and say I ken what you mean but my ....... This May then develop into an argument , at least it might get him out of his ennui, you can see I try and do crosswords by all these funny words I remember. You probably thought I was referring to his kilt. Cheers JS.

5. Likes Fouro, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #10... Now Cappy she might just shock Fouro and say I ken what you mean but my ....... This May then develop into an argument , at least it might get him out of his ennui, you can see I try and do crosswords by all these funny words I remember. You probably thought I was referring to his kilt. Cheers JS.
    aye but i ennui what ye meant jimmy.....cappy

7. Likes j.sabourn, Fouro, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I fully concur with this post and as a retired shipmaster reaching the end of my “allotted span” I have decided to write a biography covering my experiences from sea training school until retirement. This was mainly for the benefit of my two sons, grandchildren and many friends.
    I did quite well in my career ending as a Marine Casualty Investigator.

My children and grandchildren have had excellent educations and done well at their chosen professions; they have been astonished to learn of my lowly beginnings and the conditions of my early life.
    I suspect they find it difficult to believe.

So far, I have written four articles about my early days and in addition to posting them to my family and friends have posted them to this forum.
    All is truth as I remember it and all those Articles which follow will be the same. A good memory jogger is my discharge book.

The best responses so far are from my wife of 58 years and my family which boil down to:
    “Dad, this is wonderful history!!”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think a lot of us would have bit the dust a long time ago JT if it hadn’t been for our wives. Going to sea would have been a disaster as it was for many if married the wrong one. As regards Discharge books have 3 full ones plus paper ones which have got lost along the way. The big thing I found in the earlier years was the job satisfaction, looking at the job today I don’t think it could ever match earlier times. But to the new generation they might find different , I certainly hope so. At the end of the day that is all that we have and that is memories and hopefully not too many regrets. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th November 2018 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fouro have you forgot the two magic words YES DEAR. Den

11. Likes Fouro, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by osheadenis View Post
    Fouro have you forgot the two magic words YES DEAR. Den
    No Den I haven't, especially when she asks me if I fancy a 'Wee Dram o' Bells Afore Ye Go'.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a wee doch an Doris afor ye gan awa. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At 86 going on 7 I find that we have to be careful with the money, living solely on a pension, we have a little bit in the bank for emergencies , the problem is how much longer will we keep going,we are both reasonably fit and healthy; which means do we spend up a little or do we keep being a little tight. We play the old TV series Golden Girls now and then and in one; Rose's boy friend was a tight ****, she was puzzled until he told her he was in his 80s and had to keep a watch on his money as he didn't know; but that he might live until he was a hundred. Never thought that when I was at sea; thought then I would live forever.
    Cheers Des

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast