Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New research on sea ice

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New research on sea ice

"In this warming world, some parts of the planet are warming much faster than others. The warming is causing large ice bodies to start to melt and move rapidly, in some cases sliding into the ocean.

This movement is the topic of a very new scientific study that was just published in the journal Earth and Planetary Science Letters. The Arctic is warming much faster than other parts of the planet and the ice there is showing the signs of rapid warming. This fact has serious consequences. First, melting ice can cause sea levels to rise and inundate coastal areas – it also makes storms like hurricanes and typhoons more destructive. Melting ice also causes a feedback loop, which can cause more future warming and then more ice loss.

It should be noted that there are different types of ice. Some ice floats on water and is called sea ice. When it melts, the ocean water level hardly budges because the ice is already in the sea displacing liquid water."...

Please Note: The above explanation of sea ice gives an answer to melting ice cubes in gin and tonic not raising the water level. The ice cubes are displacing the water, just in a different form and when they melt onto water it is just occupying the same space as the ice cube. It's land ice melting and entering the oceans, they do not displace they add to ocean levels. Further, ocean levels are not one even level all over the globe, they are variable, caused by prevailing weather, currents, tidal flow, land elevation, etc..

..."Other ice is on land and may be a large ice sheet or a smaller glacier. These ice bodies sit atop the land and “rest” there. In some cases, they extend out off the land and into the ocean where they partly float on liquid water. When this land ice melts, the liquid flows into the oceans and can cause significant ocean level rising

So, the importance of ice depends on what type it is, where it is located, and how fast it is melting."...

Yours, Rodney, the lonely canary in the coalmines.

For the complete article click on...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...cid=spartandhp

2. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Chris Allman, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New research on sea ice

I am still waiting for the excuse that the northern hemisphere was all jungle before the ice age? who is going to carry the can for that?? jp

4. Likes happy daze john in oz, AJ Hawker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This last March at the end of the Antarctic summer, the BAS, British Antarctic Survey Ship could not cross the Weddel Sea due to the ice being over Five Metres thick, Sixteen and a half feet, It will have to wait until next year to attempt to cross it.
    I was in the Antarctic recently, and was with a member of the BAS, and he told me that the ice is getting thicker.
    When the TV films show the ice breaking off into the sea it is because the Glacier is sliding down towards the edge of the landunder its own weight, and when it no longer has the land underneath to support it, it will snap off and fall into the sea., Not because it is melting.
    Whenever I see a newsreel of ice melting , it is always in mid summer when there is 24 hours of sunlight a day. They never show the Ice in mid winter when there is 24 hours a day of complete darkness and temperatures are way below 70c degrees below Zero,
    I never believe these people with an `Ology` but no worldly experience telling me on TV that we are facing an apocalypse due to global warming and I now have to pay £250 a year Green Tax on my little car that only does 2000 miles a year.
    Volcanoes increase global warming far more than any Human activity. What are they going to do about them???? put a Green Tax on them also?/ and what do they do with the £250 green tax on my car,??? how does that stop ice melting??? stuff it in a Volcano and block it up?? that is as daft as they are.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 26th September 2018 at 04:40 PM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of subsidies are available for green projects , the green lobby has a lot of influence , I am suspicious at the best of times when money is involved
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What about global warming from all the rockets being used worldwide ?, that we make and sell to them ?, kt
    R689823

10. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With people like Trump in power we do not stand an earthly trying to stop global warming. When I first visited the Amazon in the 60s, the tree felling business was ticking over very nicely but nobody then thought about ' global warming ' and the issues that the loss of vegetation in the Amazon Rain Forests would cause to our world.The effect of the total destruction of those forests in the Amazon Basin is now having serious consequences in the Atlantic and a similar destruction of forests in Malaysia the Philippines and Indonesia is causing mayhem in the Indian Ocean and Pacific. You have only to look at the increased intensity of both the Hurricanes in the North Atlantic / Caribbean and the Typhoons that are hitting Indonesia the Philippines and China to see this. The outcome can only be climate change for the worse unless something drastic is done and done soon.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nature seems to be ignored when any Co2 production is mentioned.
    A volcano in Iceland has been spewing copious amounts of Co2 and other gasses high into the earths atmosphere, volcanologists believe that the volcano is getting ready to blow.
    The last time she blew 100 years ago, it affected the temperatures over Europe by - 3degrees C.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last 20 years I spent in engineering spent an awful lot of time working on reducing carbon emissions using power inversion and controlling a waste to recycling mainly it save money as well as the environment we also avoided using the old are 12 and R22 refrigerant using mainly ammonia so I've sort of got it and trained in the brain and I do believe in conserving our energy and not doing things like landfill I am not so sure that the figures that you get from the green lobby are also always true 1 major project that was claimed to be totally Green with its whole of Life carbon footprint being 0 was in a Scottish island as a windmill Farm they forgot to include something like several hundred miles of copper cable when they did their carbon balance calculation to get the power back from the island to the mainland I think took many cables over 30 miles an awful lot of carbon used in the manufacture so until people start telling the truth about the figures I have a few doubts the principal though I think it the one that we should have to follow just to preserve something for her children and grandchildren
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You only have to go to our local tip to see all the containers nicely marked, timber, plastics, green waste etc, but it must be a trade off with the steady stream of cars and vans bringing the stuff to the site. Being an island, we do not have room for too much landfill, but then i understand a lot of the recycled articles are transported back across to the mainland, i certainly do not know what the answer is, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read years ago that the earth produces about 280ppm of Co2 on annual base. At that time it was calculated Co2 was about 330ppm.
    Scientists believe that the earth's Co2 levels have been as high as 600ppm.
    It's the same in Nottingham, installed a team system, much noise about Co2savings, non about the increased emission levels whilst under construction.
    Vic

16. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast