Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coalition Deal Approval?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Coalition Deal Approval?

Recently a deal was struck by the Kurds/Iraq to free the remaining hardened fighter following the fall of Raqqa. I understand that the fighters numbered inxs of 400 and together with their families the number rose to 4000. Truck loads of ammunition were allowed to leave. Why did the coalition agree this?

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Coalition Deal Approval?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dixon View Post
    Recently a deal was struck by the Kurds/Iraq to free the remaining hardened fighter following the fall of Raqqa. I understand that the fighters numbered inxs of 400 and together with their families the number rose to 4000. Truck loads of ammunition were allowed to leave. Why did the coalition agree this?
    Jim, I would assume that money changed hands somewhere along the line, having lived in the M.E. I have learned that in that area money is a more treasured commodity than other peoples lives, and I doubt that will ever change
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 18th November 2017 at 11:04 AM. Reason: changed never to ever

Bengy Roberts Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dixon View Post
    easy guess who won

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in the OLD days of the crusaders hey would have been slaughtered , maybe we are becoming civilized
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will things ever change in the Middle East. You have a society steeped in a tribal culture whose values are so far removed from those we have in the west. I spent some five years working in the Middle East and witnessed Arabization of a Pilotage/Port service long held by Brit expats. The country in question had few of their own homegrown locals to even train to occupy the positions under offer so Arabs from everywhere and anywhere were imported. The problem was that Egyptians wanted to work with Egyptians and nobody else. This same philosophy applied to every other Arab nation. They wanted to work with their own. Problem is when you are working a rota in a port it is impossible to satisfy all. More often than not when a ship arrived for say an SPM the two Pilots joined were usually different nationalities eg., Iraq & Syrian, Egypt & Libyan etc, etc,. It was apparent that accidents were happening with the Pilot having the con accusing the Pilot on foc'sle of giving misleading info re distance an speed when approaching the SPM. This also applied to alongside berthing when say two tugs which may have had say Jordanian tug masters and the Pilot was not Jordanian. The point I am making is the nothing in the Arab world is straight and you can bet some insidious deal was struck where tribal interests played a part in the release of these jihadists and of course the inevitable cash will be lurking in the background somewhere. What was it Golda Meir said in the six day war when it was suggested that her annihilation of Egypt's war capability would bring her huge retaliation from the Arab world. Her answer was ' My problems will only start when you can get two Arab nations agreeing with each other'. She was right then and the same holds good today.

8. Thanks Captain Kong, Trader thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The answer is quite simple, Politics, the very thing that rules the lives of all on this planet.
    Somewhere someone has done a deal that will benefit a small number so they may do well and bugger the rest.

There are so many corrupt politicians in all govs across the globe that no one should have faith in any of them.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Roger Dyer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder how many of the Isis fighter's who were freed from Raqqa were involved in the Egyptian atrocity today. When, will they ever learn.

12. Likes Red Lead Ted, vic mcclymont liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis, you are correct there, in some circumstances it takes very few to create a blockade when placed in a significant situation.
    Closing the canal, or Panama one would not take a lot to do.
    Couple of ships in the lock then disable the lock and there it is.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 'backbone' in the fight against ISIS, name the Kurds, have now been denied support of weapon supply by Trump. Why, because Turkey has branded the Kurds as terrorists. Again a typical example of Arab logic.

15. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

jim I think we all know were the money is coming from to pay isil when other countries start bombing countries that back isil stop the money start there no money no fighters they don't get weapons on tick.. we will give you money but don't invade our country? how many Arab princes would still have a head on their shoulders if the money stopped their motto not in my backyard at any cost? jp

17. Likes Ivan Cloherty, Captain Kong liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast