Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: look no valves

Bengy Roberts Guest

Default look no valves

been on the usual tankers rowbothams bp etc,RFA oilers are so different,the valves are below the main deck hidden away,,and the SGIA s do not touch any valves,as the ginger beers do the oil cargo work BENGY

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: look no valves

What is a SGIA? Bengy.
    I have never been on a Tanker , many years in Tankers from Everards to Shell and Exxons 300,000 tonners with valves below the main deck. and I have never seen the engineers discharging or loading a tanker, It is done by the Mates and the Deck crowd.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 6th November 2017 at 12:46 PM.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Cameron, robpage, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    What is a SGIA? Bengy.
    I have never been on a Tanker , many years in Tankers from Everards to Shell and Exxons 300,000 tonners with valves below the main deck. and I have never seen the engineers discharging or loading a tanker, It is done by the Mates and the Deck crowd.
    the thought of engineers handling anything to do with cargo must have half of the deck department reaching for the heart pills , you know we don't do trim , as far as the ,main deck goes , i would always regard it as the first watertight deck , whereas some RFA fleet replenishment have a deck above , i enlarged pic and I thiink it shows i
    wave.jpg
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

6. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

In NGSCO, LNG carriers the C/Off & Cargo eng do the cargo , the mates assist, they do the ballasting. We had UAE 2nd & 3rd mates they could not be trusted even with that task.

8. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    What is a SGIA? Bengy.
    Seaman Grade 1 A I believe Brian. New name for A.B.

10. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that, our Trader.
    BUT what a load of Rubbish. first we had ...GPs and now SFIA.
    A.B. = Able Seaman , says it all.

but again are they ABLE SEAMEN today??? not like us I guess.

Cheers
    Brian

12. Likes robpage, Bill Cameron, Trader liked this post
    Bengy Roberts Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bengy Roberts View Post
    been on the usual tankers rowbothams bp etc,RFA oilers are so different,the valves are below the main deck hidden away,,and the SGIA s do not touch any valves,as the ginger beers do the oil cargo work BENGY
    im talking about the seventies,when ABs used to swing valves.button up to manifold etc,but RFA oilers we did not even go near manifold,,nothing BENGY

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in the 1970s Gulf Oil , only the pumpman would connect to the manifold , and him and the mate ., did the cargo handling , not any other personnel
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tankers these days are in the main built with individual deep well submersible pumps for each cargo tank. The impellor (pump) and motor (mainly hydraulic) are a self contained unit situated in wells at the bottom of the tank. This means that all pipework for working cargo are situated atop of the main deck, which makes it easy to spot and fix any leaking valves. The required cofferdam between the cargo tank area and engine room is usually used as a ballast only pump room.
    Deepwell pumps are much more efficient than the old fashioned centrifugal pumps situated in the pump room and having their motive power situated in the engine room and connected by the drive shaft passing through the pump room/engine room bulkhead, with the pumps suction lines leading through the pump room/cargo tank bulkhead in a ring main system to the individual cargo tanks. In 67 on my first ship ( a crude oil tanker) the valves for the discharge/loading of the individual cargo tanks were hydraulically remotely controlled from the cargo control room but the separation valves for the ring main were hand operated from on deck with reach rods down into the bottom of the tank where the cargo lines and valves were situated.
    Cargo pump rooms were bloody dangerous spaces that could easily fill with flammable vapours if any of the seals on the valves etc. situated there were not gas tight and also the air would become oxygen deficient. There were a number of deaths caused by personnel entering a non ventilated pump room and also through fire and explosions caused by hydrocarbon vapours building up in the pump room. Ventilation of the space had to draw the air from the lowest point in the pump room as the vapours were heavier than air.
    Nowadays pump rooms, even ballast pump rooms, have to be fitted with interlocks such that two changes of air has to occur before the lighting will come on and be fitted with permanent gas monitoring systems.
    Don't think there can be too many single hulled tankers sailing around these days but if there are and they have a pump room then any bulkhead penetration for drive shafts and the pumps them selves have to be fitted with temperature monitoring devices to give warning of any over heating bearings.
    rgds
    J.A.

18. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Bengy Roberts Guest

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Tankers these days are in the main built with individual deep well submersible pumps for each cargo tank. The impellor (pump) and motor (mainly hydraulic) are a self contained unit situated in wells at the bottom of the tank. This means that all pipework for working cargo are situated atop of the main deck, which makes it easy to spot and fix any leaking valves. The required cofferdam between the cargo tank area and engine room is usually used as a ballast only pump room.
    Deepwell pumps are much more efficient than the old fashioned centrifugal pumps situated in the pump room and having their motive power situated in the engine room and connected by the drive shaft passing through the pump room/engine room bulkhead, with the pumps suction lines leading through the pump room/cargo tank bulkhead in a ring main system to the individual cargo tanks. In 67 on my first ship ( a crude oil tanker) the valves for the discharge/loading of the individual cargo tanks were hydraulically remotely controlled from the cargo control room but the separation valves for the ring main were hand operated from on deck with reach rods down into the bottom of the tank where the cargo lines and valves were situated.
    Cargo pump rooms were bloody dangerous spaces that could easily fill with flammable vapours if any of the seals on the valves etc. situated there were not gas tight and also the air would become oxygen deficient. There were a number of deaths caused by personnel entering a non ventilated pump room and also through fire and explosions caused by hydrocarbon vapours building up in the pump room. Ventilation of the space had to draw the air from the lowest point in the pump room as the vapours were heavier than air.
    Nowadays pump rooms, even ballast pump rooms, have to be fitted with interlocks such that two changes of air has to occur before the lighting will come on and be fitted with permanent gas monitoring systems.
    Don't think there can be too many single hulled tankers sailing around these days but if there are and they have a pump room then any bulkhead penetration for drive shafts and the pumps them selves have to be fitted with temperature monitoring devices to give warning of any over heating bearings.
    rgds
    J.A.
    sailed on mv forth bridge,,,had pump for each tank right enough BENGY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast