Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Merger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merger

# 40. Was mossies I was referring to re. Thinking or being told the world was flat. Cheers js
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th June 2017 at 04:41 AM.

Lewis McColl Guest

Thanks for posting this , sad but so true of things that did and still go on in Ireland today certainly not to the extent now as used to.
    My wife is a Catholic English, but Irish on her mothers side. I'm a N Ireland prod, we have been married 35 years. When I told my mum we were getting married she was delighted as was my Grand father. On my side of the family at the wedding was my mum, my Grand father, my brother & wife, my Dad's oldest brother. The rest of the family refused the invites, there loss not mine. On my wife's side all that were invited came.

3. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many can remember going to the Stella Maris in Buenos Aires in the 50"s. They even had beer. Don't think the Flying Angel did. All used to make for there on a Sunday night for the dance.
    The Irish padre there though used to demand as price of admission you visit his Church service. He was a fierce little Irishman and wouldn't allow the girls to leave with a seaman, they had to meet around the corner. It was immaterial of what faith you were most seamen couldn't have cared less in any case. He was a proper fisher of men. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th June 2017 at 07:52 AM.

5. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember that priest john, he used to stop the dancing for about 5 minutes whilst he said a few words and said a few prayers,he always finished off with "and the girls walk home alone".I remember one night this guy was barracking him whilst he was saying prayers a Lamports ships cook Charlie Jones went over to this guy and told him to shut up and the guy did immediately I believe he was a hard case Charlie.Some on here may remember Charlie he was a black scouser from Toxteth.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

7. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim think the first time in B.A. Was 1954, he was there then. There were still pictures of Eva Peron all over the city even though she died a couple of years previously. Was there again when 3rd. Mate and was cleaned out when came back to ship and turned in. Pleased I didn't wake up as would probably have had throat slit. Nearly another 9 months on ship with only a couple of shirts and a pair of grey flannel trousers and whatever could borrow. Ivan's better class rag bag would have been useful. Was notorious for ship thieves in that south dock. Trust you gave your son all these things to look out for before he started on his Sea career. Cheers JWS.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady, thomas michael, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    True so why is it there is a lot of moaning about the mozzies and immigrants backing up the NHS because of the need for interpreters? I see as usual Cappy is back on the moral high ground. It really surprised me as he usually has something to say about all the bums and stiffs, claiming benefits for this and that. Still not seen to many posts from the usual folk calling for me to be kicked off the forum??
    hi lewis McColl
    we are all entitled to express our personal point of view, to a point, I myself have a terrible wicked sense of humour and as my protestant wife always tells me no one is laughing except you, I just think it was her austere and severe orange upbringing that is at fault, see I cannot stop even now,
    but as cappy points out there is a point of no return, and we all reach it at some time or another, as for the fire I am not completely without humanity, and I think it was a terrible thing to have happened.
    at the same time when you see the tenants of those flats are ninety nine percent foreigners, in such a small tiny part of London you cannot but relise that this country and especially London as a city is being lost to too much immigration
    tom

11. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John I was there twice in 57,first on the Millais L&H and then on the Eastbury Houlders.I was in the mission there was a young priest there as well as the old priest,I don't know how I got involved but the young priest said he would like to say mass aboard the ship on Sunday,it was agreed he would and that he would bring his vestments down to the ship on Saturday and leave them in my cabin overnight ready for early mass Sunday.I was knocking around with a girl who worked in the fairground,i used to meet up with her taxi to hotel ( or rooms of some description) and taxi back to ship in the morning,how did I do that on galley boys money ???.Back at the ship the priest was in the alleyway waiting outside my cabin,what an embarrassment,anyway we had the mass and over a dozen attended some a little bit worse for wear but turned to anyway.Talking of the girls walk home alone me and my mate used to meet two sisters up the road they were from Patagonia they could speak Welsh and had a slight Welsh accent.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

13. Thanks Captain Kong, thomas michael thanked for this post
    gray_marian Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Thanks for posting this , sad but so true of things that did and still go on in Ireland today certainly not to the extent now as used to.
    My wife is a Catholic English, but Irish on her mothers side. I'm a N Ireland prod, we have been married 35 years. When I told my mum we were getting married she was delighted as was my Grand father. On my side of the family at the wedding was my mum, my Grand father, my brother & wife, my Dad's oldest brother. The rest of the family refused the invites, there loss not mine. On my wife's side all that were invited came.
    Lewis, my parents had no problem whatsoever in 1956, same again for me in 1978 and again now for my son and and oldest daughter. As FOURO's post illuminates, love should conquer all and families that don't embrace are foolish in the extreme, their loss. ............Remember the term ''mixed marriage''
    Last edited by gray_marian; 16th June 2017 at 09:28 AM.

15. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin, Evan Lewis liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    Lewis, my parents had no problem whatsoever in 1956, same again for me in 1978 and again now for my son and and oldest daughter. As FOURO's post illuminates, love should conquer all and families that don't embrace are foolish in the extreme, their loss. ............Remember the term ''mixed marriage''
    Marian sitting here chuckling to myself , The first time I brought my Karen over to meet my mum & Granda our next door neighbour was in for a cup of tea and Karen was introduced by my mum. My mum says Alice this is Lewis's fiancée , Karen Marie Theresa, as you will guess it will be a mixed marriage. Karen god bless her felt the need to point out that she was not of mixed race she still brings that up now and again. My Granda was the one I was worried about as he could be an old bigot at times, been in the Orange, been in the Black and was also an Apprentice boy. He was nearly stone deaf but he looked her up and down and says she'll do !!!!.My Granda loved my wife and she was heart broken when he crossed the bar. He would write to her and give her the low down on the family history, she would relay his news on to me while I was away and always wrote him back.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 16th June 2017 at 10:08 AM.

17. Thanks thomas michael, Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Evan Lewis liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    John I was there twice in 57,first on the Millais L&H and then on the Eastbury Houlders.I was in the mission there was a young priest there as well as the old priest,I don't know how I got involved but the young priest said he would like to say mass aboard the ship on Sunday,it was agreed he would and that he would bring his vestments down to the ship on Saturday and leave them in my cabin overnight ready for early mass Sunday.I was knocking around with a girl who worked in the fairground,i used to meet up with her taxi to hotel ( or rooms of some description) and taxi back to ship in the morning,how did I do that on galley boys money ???.Back at the ship the priest was in the alleyway waiting outside my cabin,what an embarrassment,anyway we had the mass and over a dozen attended some a little bit worse for wear but turned to anyway.Talking of the girls walk home alone me and my mate used to meet two sisters up the road they were from Patagonia they could speak Welsh and had a slight Welsh accent.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    jim
    it costs nothing to stroke a pussy
    tom

19. Likes Jim Brady liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast