Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Merger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merger

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news my little Scottish Terrier but your Tory minister has been sitting on a Chief Fire Officer's report for 4 years advising sprinkler systems should be installed following a similar fire in a London tower block. When repeatedly questioned on when action would be taken he replied " We are looking at it."

This is not to score a political point as all politicians will only react after a tragedy not before.

2. Thanks N/A, thomas michael, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All those high rise building are supposed to have fire protected escape zones, leading to the stairs, the true facts are not out yet, but in conjunction withe above a fire detection system, serviced annually. There seems from the report that the fire alarm system was not working. 25 years ago all hotels in this country were inspected annually, a log book to show fire drills and evacuation and roll call drills carried out, this was done by the fire service, and if not correct, the hotel could be shut down until rectified.. The government at the time deemed that was just down to the hotelier, fatal decision. As an ex fire officer, the first thing i do on booking in is check the means of escape, i do not have faith in hoteliers doing the safe thing. How many hotels do you see the fire check doors propped open with the fire extinquishers. I will take a bet when the enquiry is finished, that glaring omissions were made, kt

gray_marian Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Marian, if John Major was weak he certainly pulled the rug from under labour in 1992 and snuffed out the fires of the Welsh Dragon Kinnock, who by the way I never had any time for him or his Mrs. If you think Blair lined his pockets those two did not do so bad either. All politicians are pigs at the trough.

A fair old percentage of Labour supporters in hindsight now regret voting for him?? as in this recent election with the Theresa May losing a lot of her seats and putting the country on the road to nowhere.

To be honest I would have thought that a sprinkler system would have a been a standard thing to have fitted in any tower block, not in the actual flats but at least in the public spaces such as hallway and stairwells so at least to give folk a fighting chance to get out in the event of a fire.
    Aye, The Right Honourable Lord Kinnock & family I will agree there.

Too early yet for me re Mrs May, will give her the year out.....

As to the tower block I would have thought like you and as Keith T says sprinklers and fire alarms at the very least in public areas. Don't know about the law down south but up here all rented property must have smoke alarms in each flat, any private property built in the last 20 odd years must have them incorporated along with the electrics, no battery ones allowed.

#11, Are you insinuating I'm like a dog with a bone Louis?
    Last edited by gray_marian; 14th June 2017 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is one bit of good news, Kermit has resigned as leader of the liberal party, he has been calling for another ref on EU, kt

6. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

We really need to start more threads. I am sure when the inquiry comes out concerning the fire in the tower block, it will come as no surprise that the likely cause will have been an electrical over load. This is the month of Ramadan 27th May > 24th of June. I watched the news like I am sure we all did. I did not see to many folk called Jones , Smith or Wheelwright. I did notice a lot of Abdul's, Mohamad's, Abbas etc. My money says they had just got up for prayer time. Also breaking there fast. Imagine 24 floors all hitting the power supply for cooking and making tea ,Inshallah. I am sure all were just innocent people but so where the kids at Manchester and also Westminster Bridge and London bridge. Perhaps God does work in mysteries ways after all !!!!! Sorry I know I am out of order here. Fajr
    04:24 AM
    Sunrise
    05:46 AM
    Dhuhr
    01:51 PM
    Asr
    06:08 PM
    Maghrib
    09:56 PM
    Isha
    11:17 PM
    Qiyam
    02:14 AM
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 14th June 2017 at 09:06 PM.

8. Thanks Captain Kong, thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes Louis the Amigo, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't bloody believe this post, my job for 30 years was to save live, these were kids and adults of whatever nationality, this post above should be removed immediately ,by moderates. Totally insensitive, kt

10. Thanks cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I reckon I"m pretty moderate I only have one whiskey at night now. Won't tell you the size of the glass though. Cheers JWS

12. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Dennis McGuckin, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thought that would also have been law by now Lewis, a sprinkler system, after all it has been on passenger ships since 1964 or thereabouts. At the piper alpha they were supposed to have a sprinkler system also but it failed to work, as I didn't go too much into the reports don't know the reason. However the fire there was continuously being fed by gas and oil for a period of hours, and no one had the balls to stop production it seems was the excuse so doubt if a sprinkler system would have done much to alleviate anything. I had the feeling also the way that fire was burning from the tv pictures that some accelerate had been added to cause the fire to move so fast. If it proves to be accidental or not accidental the actual causes will be shrouded in mystery for some time, unless any outside party claims responsibility. Cheers JWS.

14. Thanks N/A, Dennis McGuckin, thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes Louis the Amigo, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sectarianism between Catholics and Protestants doesn't appear to exist in England, but Orangeism is very much alive in Central Scotland. It claims an official membership of 50,000, many more than any Scottish political party. The figure doesn't include the many "hangers-on" who follow the marches and others who identify with the values of the Order. In evidence to the recent Revue of Marches and Parades in Scotland, the police stated that Orange parades had increased in frequency over the past few years and that some, at least, "caused significant concern, disturbance and intimidation.

FOURO.

16. Thanks N/A, thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fouro to a certain extent there was a lot of anti catholic feeling among the working classes during my youth. Not physical but more gossip than anything else. A cousin of mine married a catholic girl and to hear the rellies would think he had married satans daughter. The well known barbs thrown at Catholics was that the women were kept barefoot and pregnant, and that the priest told them how to run their lives. I knew and still do know a number of Catholics and they are as normal as everyone else. The church which was only catholic at one time, does not have a very productive past and a lot of misdeeds were done in its name, the same as today, but this happens in every walk of life, priests are not super beings but only normal people with the usual failings. I used to go to church but today have got out of the habit (not the one you wear). Cheers and may the peace be with you (not the piece I saw you with last night ) Cheers JWS

18. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Dennis McGuckin, thomas michael liked this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast