Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: .....of Cabbages and Kings

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default .....of Cabbages and Kings

Hello shipmates,

Can somebody tell me what it is that makes Donald Trump act the way he does? What is it that compels him to make frequent use of 'Twitter' to communicate with the American people or adopt a boastful, sometimes dismissive, but always 'father-knows-best' attitude, when confronting a television camera? Perhaps, he's simply an incurable egomaniac whose cringeworthy mannerisms he can do little to suppress. For whatever reason, he has a tendency to behave in a manner ill-befitting a U.S. President. He has developed an unfortunate habit of making hasty, erroneous, statements from which, soon thereafter, he seeks to distance himself. On occasions such as this, Donald, is able to call upon his Press Secretary, the hapless, Sean Spicer, to provide sufficient 'spin' or denial, so that he, the President, can avoid embarrassment. Of course, it's far better a press secretary be thought a fool or liar than a President of the United States. Poor Sean, I think he earns every cent of his per.annum salary of $176,461 for being Donald's official 'fibber'. However, he has a net worth of $14,000,000 so probably won't go hungry if he suddenly finds himself out of a job (which, if things don't improve he just might!).

While the overall conduct of the Trump administration has not filled me with great confidence, I have been impressed by the manner and performance of Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, the quetly spoken Secretary of Defence, James Mattis, and also Vice President Mike Pence who, I think, has now found himself with an unenviable duty to perform, but one that he has carried out with quiet dignity and great bearing. Unfortunately, it seems, not even the wise counsel of these three men can save Donald from himself. Personally, I don't believe Trump possesses the temperament or capability to maintain his presidency and, like others, I incline to the belief that he will not complete a four-year term in office. Whether due to impeachment, resignation, ill-health or for some other reason, who can say?

Now, as I write this, Donald is winging his way to Saudi Arabia, to commence his tour of the middle East, Italy, and Belgium, etc. Largely of his own making, he leaves behind a White House administration that is in disarray and a nation (and world) stunned by the recent revelations of a hostile media. He carries with him the knowledge that his performance during the next few days may well be his last chance to recover some credibility and save a presidency that appears to be teetering on the brink. What he is about to undertake would even seem a daunting prospect to the most competent statesman, but for a novice who lacks prudent diplomacy it may well be beyond his capability. This time he is burdened with great responsibility and will be under the scrutiny of the whole world. Although I don't particularly like the man, in this endeavour I sincerely wish him well.

I welcome the views of other members.

.....Roger
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 20th May 2017 at 01:20 AM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: .....of Cabbages and Kings

To be fair: Trump says no politician has ever been treated worse than him.

John F Kennedy
    Abraham Lincoln
    William McKinley
    James A Garfield

All shot dead, and that's just the Presidents, whilst in office, and of course just the Americans. According to Wikipedia, there are 117 world leaders, since the 19th century, assassinated whilst in office. That does not include, of course, those who survived the attempt, nor the hundreds in the previous millennia.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, David Williams thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The media can make or break a rising movie or musician star. Not as much as they were once able due to the convenience of the internet. Maybe he thinks he can take on the media at their own game. I have no love for the same media as know through experience most of what they put to air is twisted facts to suit their own convenience. They must be loving Trump in a distorted way as is always there to fill their pages with made up facts they know will appeal to some of the disjointed views of some of the public. Other countries in the likes of some African nations simply get round this just by making the papers illigitimate, and they still call themselves Democratic countries. Trump appears to most to be an egotist with little knowledge of politics , but he was duly elected by the people of his nation, and while the media push for his impeachment for giving information to Russia myself personally I think is a load of rubbish, and who says Russia is an enemy in any case, only those who have been brainwashed over the years. The only thing nearest to it in British News was the similar attacks the media made against the monarchy in particular against prince Charles, another load of codswallop as regards news made up to suit. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th May 2017 at 12:59 AM.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Keith at Tregenna;262058]To be fair: Trump says no politician has ever been treated worse than him.
    ..........QUOTE

Keith, that is simply Trump being Trump, what else could he say? Personally, I believe he's a very worried man with much to hide. If only half of the allegations levelled against him are eventually proven to have substance, then he has every right to be worried. He can bleat and plead innocence, but if his presidency should fail then, surely, by way of foolish decisions he would have been the architect of his own disgrace. The media now smell blood and will be ruthless in pursuit of a man for whom some have an intense dislike (even loathing, perhaps).

Keith, everything is possible (especially in the middle East), but your ominous allusion to the possibility of Donald's assassination is not how I would wish this comic/tragedy to end. It's far too interesting for that!

........Roger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A very interesting article in our paper today which puts much of this in context of how the world is changing.

Since the advent of Facebook and Twitter sales of newspapers have fallen quite dramatically, added to which the younger generation have little or no interest in them.
    The gov here has passed comment that without the press there may be no means of prosecuting the truth in many instances as investigative journalism is in decline.
    Fairfax media is a classic example of this with the company up for sale having sacked or retrenched many workers and our other national paper to do away with some70 photographers and journalists.

The New York Times and a couple of other well known USA papers are subject to this decline in sales so any item of news is now grabbed with both hands.

It has been suggested that the inference that Trump was in some manner involved with Russia has prompted a vast increase in sales of the daily papers. To the degree that one political commentator has accused them concocting stories in order to increase sales.

As he put it, 'how can any one be expected to believe that Russia, or any other nation, could have any say in the election of the President of USA'?

But for the record Trump is not a politician, but rather a business man who in my opinion thinks the country should be run as a business, and on that concept I totally agree.
    Not being a politician goes against the liking of many, particularly I would suggest amongst the opposition who are currently calling for Impeachment, before any credible facts are known.

Pence is doing the day to day work of running the business, whilst Trump contends with the day to day antics of politics. Twitter and tweet, agree or disagree, all the antics of day to day politics.
    I am convinced that he means to do well by the American people and may well have had conversations with Russians and no doubt many other nations, but that does not make him guilty of any crime.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, Roger Dyer thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A very interesting Subject and Post Roger (as usual where have you been)
    All I can add is that there are those sorts of people around the World some with Power and others not,it seems to be just something that various people are Born with, could be Ego or whatever one wants to call it but certainly something that is far from good as far as I am concerned!
    Talking only of Trump now I have always felt that he could cause more harm than good,but of course that is just my thoughts,and I could well be far off the mark!
    Power sometimes goes direct to the Brain I am sure,and is used as a sort of Weapon,against ones own downfalls,may be he has as said a lot to hide and acts so t smother all. ??? WHO KNOWS!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Thanks Roger Dyer thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

[QUOTE=Roger DYER;262063]
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    To be fair: Trump says no politician has ever been treated worse than him.
    ..........QUOTE

Keith, everything is possible (especially in the middle East), but your ominous allusion to the possibility of Donald's assassination is not how I would wish this comic/tragedy to end. It's far too interesting for that!

........Roger

I certainly was not suggesting any one should shoot the man.

More a mention of others that had it fairly bad. Mr Trump may possibly resign as a way out ?

K.

12. Likes Roger Dyer, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

whilst i would not suggest that trump be shot, this being America you can rest assured that there will be someone plotting to do just that. I cannot see him doing his full term, and i think he is ill equipped to be the most powerful person in the world, which the president of the USA is. The one person who is very happy with the situation is Putin, who is having an almighty chuckle. It is quite worrying for the rest of the world. Just my own opinion, which differs from many others, kt

14. Thanks Roger Dyer, Doc Vernon, Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Likes Roger Dyer, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    ...............I am convinced that he means to do well by the American people and may well have had conversations with Russians and no doubt many other nations, but that does not make him guilty of any crime.

Until anything illegal or improper is proven against him, I find I must agree with your comment, John. However, at the very least, he has been guilty of shockingly poor judgement, something we in the western world do not expect from an American President. During the four months Donald has been in office certain character traits have become increasingly obvious. He is an incorrigible braggart given to exageration, particularly when concerning his own perceived achievement. He is quick to see fault in others, yet seemingly unaware of his own human failings. He sometimes appears casual with the truth, which some have described in far stronger terms. Any accusation or adverse criticism levelled against him or his administration is immediately categorised as 'fake news'. Now whilst this response may be acceptable to most, I'm left to wonder if I'm the only cynical bastard left in the world who believes the Fourth Estate is sometimes capable of getting it right...not always, but sometimes. Use of the term 'fake news' in response to a sensitive or difficult question may occasionally save the need for further explanation and thereby avoid potential embarrassment, but use it too often and any credibility is replaced by suspicion. Strange that, isn't it ? Perhaps someone should tell, Donald. I've also noticed his reluctance to apologise or admit a mistake, but for a man prone to error that is probably wise practice. Consider the recent series of blunders and faux pas made by him and perhaps you will understand what I mean.

1. He dismissed, James Comey, the director of the FBI, whilst that governnment agency was conducting an investigation into allegations that Russian officials and members of his own administration had colluded to influence the recent presidential election - Whether Comey's sacking was justified or not, what matters is that it was not a good look and unarguably ill-timed. If I can see that why couldn't he ?

2. During the course of the abovementioned investigation he invited Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov and Ambassador Kislyak (himself a suspect under investigation) to a private meeting at the Oval Office (what on earth was he thinking ?). It has been alleged that whilst at this meeting, Trump shared highly sensitive information with the two Russians. Naturally, Donald has gone into denial, but hopefully truth will out.... eventually. At this meeting, Donald also refused entry to members of the U.S. media, but allowed a Russian photographer to attend and take some happy snaps of the jolly threesome. Later, to the acute embarrassment of the White House administration, the Russians used the pictures as a world-wide publicity stunt extolling the virtues of Russian diplomacy. At the present time Russia is still considered an adversary of the U.S. As the Yanks would say - go figure! Whether the meeting was for nefarious purpose or just a bit of fun amongst the lads. matters not..but why was Donald so brazenly irresponsible to allow himself to be seen in such suspicious looking circumstances. As Keith (Tindell) mentioned in his post, a delighted Putin must have p----d himself laughing.

3. As if, Donald, didn't have enough to worry about, James Comey, has since accused him of attempting to influence his investigation of former National Security Adviser, Michael Flynn, whom he had been forced to dismiss for lying to V/President Mike Pence. Tit for tat? maybe, we'll just have to wait and see.

4. Recently, the Donald said he would deem it an 'honor' to meet with Kim Jong-un, the world's foremost lunatic who is busily experimenting ways to obliterate the rest of the world.
    ........ an 'HONOR' ??????.... perhaps they're both crazy !

5. Also, recently, Donald extended an invitation to President Duterte of the Philippines to come to the U.S. and break bread in between rounds of golf, I'm sure Donald is looking forward to hear, first-hand, details of the somewhat radical but very effective way in which Duterte has reduced 'drug crime' in the Philippines. It's called 'Government Sanctioned Murder' and it really works !!! To date, more than 30,000 (and counting) drug pedlars and 'users' have been dispatched to pastures new (well, the ones that have been found that is). Perhaps, Donald should be a little more circumspect about the company he keeps.

Not exactly a litany of success is it? mate., Quite honestly I think Donald would have been better served flogging real estate. Being an astute and successful businessman is one thing, but politics is a whole different game and in spite of the hopeful expectations held by some, I think he is out of his depth. At the moment I feel a genuine sympathy for most Americans. They had an election in which they weren't exactly spoilt for choice, and now many of them must be feeling they've been 'conned'...perhaps they were. As elected leader of a deeply divided nation, it seems there is little Trump can do to alleviate a worsening situation. No doubt he still has a stalwart core of support, but I'd venture it has diminished somewhat during the past two weeks. They say lightning never strikes twice, but if I were Donald I think I'd stay well clear of Dallas.

.........Roger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one thing that is certain is somewhere there are the dreaded tapes of the meetings, and the establishment will not rest until they are found. The pressure that he is under, and in a situation that he has not dealt with before, must eventually begin to tell. There will be literally hundreds of people digging away into every aspect of his present and his past life. This, remember is in the course of a few months, maybe he will learn to be more cautious as time goes by, but I won't hold my breath, kt

17. Thanks Roger Dyer thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Roger Dyer, N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast