Thread: Penalty

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Penalty

Here in Oz we have a wages system known as the award system. That is terms and conditions for a number of industries, mainly what were at one time known as Blue Collar along with Hospitality and retail.

The penalty rates for working Saturday, Sunday or public holiday were punative to say the least. Double time Sunday, time and a half Saturday and public holidays for some at double time and a half.

Employers have long complained that our wage system constricts employment and expansion of business. Our system is also out of kilter with any other across the globe making it hard for some companies to be competitive with overseas companies.

We have a 'Fair work commission' that overseas the system and today announced some changes to the rates of penalty pay. Stating that the world now operates on a 24/7 basis such rates no longer justifiable.

Sunday will now be at the same rate as Saturday and generally all rates will drop by around 25%.

Last year the Labor leader said he would comply with the results of the findings. Now they have come out he is saying he will do all he can to stop the changes. Typical of our Labor party who have little or no experience when it comes to matters financial, most as ex union generals or staffers.

Are there penalty rates in UK, USA, France or any other country you are aware of, and if so what are they?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Penalty

John for a short time before my demise from the UK oil Industry I worked for Harrisons of Clyde and if I remember correctly for Xmas day if at sea got 3 days pay and the same for New Year. This however was not a penalty rate but just a payment from the owners. Was very nice of them, however others didn't pay this, but shows there are good people in the working world today its just a matter of finding them. The Bosses in the shipping world lost most of their loyalty when they sold up with little thought of those left stranded, I would imagine was the same shoreside. As said I survived at sea but was nothing to do with the benevolence of the British owners. Working conditions out here in the maritime industry were far in advance of Britain in 1991, and think if I hadnt made the move I would of gone under. The only reason those conditions were there were because of the unions. Now that the unions have very little pulling power those conditions have already started to go down. To have people working on holiday seasons without being reimbursed, are going to say no I don't want to work on a Sunday, and the boss is going to fire them. Then the trouble really starts. People who work in shops and such may not appear to be doing much, but they put in long hours and work with sometimes churlish customers, so they deserve to be paid properly. Knocking back their take home pay is not going forward. Maybe for starters maybe the government should make them exempt from all taxes. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Penalty

##always fund in life as i grew up john people who were fair minded got the best out of me ...i guess most of us are like that ....it surely helped when i started my own factory and i gave many bonus type schemes.....some times they got it some times they didnt ...but although it cost the people nothing but a good days work for a good days pay ....there where still the whingers and carpers who wanted it every time .....and of course i was king or xxnt.........but the best accolade i ever got was hearing the girls after a dispute on working over .....a loud yorkie voice saying he is a geordie cuxx.......but another girl chipping in and saying yes he is a geordie cunx.....but he is a fair geordie cxxt.......am putting it on my gravestone .....loved its meaning .....regards cappy