Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Royal Yacht Britannia.

When in service she was always manned by the RN, some I knew hated it

2. Thanks Fouro, N/A thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

The ship also carried a platoon of Royal Marines when members of the Royal Family were on board.

k.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#10.. That's because she was a Royal Navy Commissioned vessel Rodney. Manned by naval personel she was down as a Hospital ship. During the Falklands war there was a lot of talk why wasn't she used, there were various arguments for and against this. Coming back into the harbour one morning in Portsmouth I stopped and picked up a matelot who was off a naval survey ship, the name Bulldog sticks in memory for some reason. He was crowing that his ship would not be going down with the fleet. Getting alongside his ship they were busy painting a big Red Cross on the side, he stopped crowing and his only words were the baskets have got us. Ivan think it was new year 79 or 80 there were 3 or 4 taken off and court martialled and I think discharged from the RN for practising Sodomy, which today they hold Mardi Gras about. Times change. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th February 2017 at 11:04 PM.

5. Thanks Rodney Mills, Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The yacht's crew were all members of the Royal Navy, hand-picked from volunteers to serve aboard Britannia for one year. After this time they could ask to join the Permanent Royal Yacht Service. Some Royal Yachtsmen served over twenty years on the royal yacht. As for those who hated it, they learned the hard way by not heeding the old military saying- "Never volunteer for anything".

FOURO.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

And a platoon of Royal Marines when members of the Royal Family were on board.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To an outsider she was always beautifully maintained especially all the gold painting and crests. I had a couple of Zippo lighters off her, most naval ships with RN crews seemed to have a shop for souvenirs, even the ship I was on with about 15 regular RN personel had things could buy such as cashmere sweaters with ships name and crest and naval party number on the breast. Plaques and of course the ever present zippo lighters with badge. I tried my sweater on last winter and could only get one arm in so must have shrunk. JS

Keith at Tregenna Guest

DID NOT GO ABOARD BOTH TIMES THAT WAY, POS NEXT TIME.

Hope to book in soon to my favourite B and B in South Queensferry again soon.

Will look out for the red flag.

K.

10. Likes N/A, cappy, thomas michael liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

#13, Funny old world, isn't it John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18 Hilarious if it wasn't so serious Marian. What can one put it down to. Basic morality seems to have disappeared. Going back to 1942 when the japs attacked Pearl harbour, the screams of unfairness that went around the world that they hadn't declared war and were using a surprise attack. Which if one reads the real accounts leading up to, anyone with half a brain would have expected. Anyhow the morality of it was pushed forward over and over again. Today the same and worse is practised worldwide and accepted as the norm. The world has advanced too fast for any morality to keep up with. The Church which a lot of the western world took its examples from, is floundering like a stranded whale. The Press and media take every advantage to blow stories up to which at one time was the normal course of the world. Education for the masses including the west is not what it is made up to be. In general you have humanity looking for change, change to what? We had it all until people we wont mention started telling porkies and trying to change things. Children grow up today out of control which was partially started by the do-gooders who took the rearing of same out of the parents hands. Is it going to get better or worse ??????????????JWS

Keith at Tregenna Guest

[QUOTE=j.sabourn;255389]#18 Hilarious if it wasn't so serious Marian. What can one put it down to. Basic morality seems to have disappeared. Going back to 1942 when the japs attacked Pearl harbour, the screams of unfairness that went around the world that they hadn't declared war and were using a surprise attack. Which if one reads the real accounts leading up to, anyone with half a brain would have expected.

STARTED READING AND THOUGHT I WAS ON THE RUGBY PAGE.

Realise, better now. sorry I got confused.

K.

14. Likes cappy, thomas michael liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast