Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Stupid Trump'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 'Stupid Trump'

#15. Hi Keith,My previous post was not to bring up past grievance, Just a remark on a part of Ian's post.
    Like Kong says. It's all past and in the history books.
    However, if I may answer your question.
    The Irish at that time, were serfs under English rule.
    Therefore, treated no better than slaves.
    One thing though that has puzzled me.
    Why was there a need to bring seed potato's from Peru to Ireland?

2. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apologies. That should read Ivan's post.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

To be honest, I would look at the Spanish first.

But.

Nowhere was dependency on the potato more widespread than in Ireland, where it eventually became the sole subsistence food for one-third of the country. Impoverished tenant farmers, struggling to grow enough food to feed their families on plots of land as small as one acre, turned to the potato en masse, thanks to its ability to grow in even the worst soil. Requiring calorie-heavy diets to carry out their punishing workloads, they were soon consuming between 40 and 60 potatoes every day. And the potato wasn’t just used for human consumption: Ireland’s primary export to its British overlords was cattle, and more than a third of all potatoes harvested were used to feed livestock.

What happened after was TERRIBLE.

K.

5. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16. Couldn't agree more Brian,
    Drives me nuts when 'the First Nations' start screaming about the wrongdoings of the past.
    I wasn't with Capt, Cook when he landed on our west coast. He supposedly took some advantage of the locals.
    Also The Hudson's Bay Fur Company were to blame for past aggression's.
    As the saying goes.
    Am I responsible for the sin's of my father?

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Guess it was not really an invasion?

Similar to the Spanish, they did it Juan by Juan.

K.

9. Likes Dennis McGuckin, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18 Des maybe those whose ancestors were imported as criminals should get on the gravy train and kick up. When I first came out here in November 1953, no aborigines were allowed in pubs, the all the equal rights people got into the act and today you see the results of their outcries. Most of the shouts of unfair to aboriginal culture comes from those with very little aboriginal blood in them, believe up to one eighth aboriginal blood and can claim their benefits. no need to work. The lost generation of children, I often wonder if those same children today who are refugees out of the middle east, in years to come may be calling themselves the same. The people of the day assumed they were doing them a good turn, and in a lot of cases were no doubt doing so. Sometimes on doing what one thinks are kind acts are just the opposite. Cheers JS

11. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many long centuries past governments came into being to raise an army to defend the nation and protect the borders. To pay for this army they then raised taxes and wrote the laws under which the nation would operate.

Had the EU and the UK shown the same balls that Trump is now showing, by using those basic duties of gov there would not be millions of refugees and illegal migrants in either. The UK has now I am informed around 2 million illegals in the country. Previous govs and PM's did a great job, NOT.

This man will raise the hackles of many, and may well be challenged by the law, but the fact is he is doing nothing wrong.
    All countries should be able to determine who comes to their country, when and by what means.

The lawyers in USA say he is in acting in an illegal and unconstitutional manner, how? By saying that any one who enters the USA must have a valid visa and be vetted before entering, how is that unconstitutional.

The responsible nations, Australia, NZ, Canada, Singapore, Cambodia, Vietnam and Indonesia require all who enter or visit to have a valid visa.

I can travel to, on my Australian passport, to any EU country without the need for a visa, what security is there in that?

Love him or hate him Trump is his own man, a man who wishes to see the law used in the correct manner and ensure the nation is safe.

May not go down well with the left wing or the PC brigade, but to any sensible thinking person he is on the right track.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qnFh18c7oo

Latest news from USA regarding this matter.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

15. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jeez, all I did was comment on why Obama was anti British in an answer to Fouro, let it rest, my father was Irish as were his six brothers and sisters who all served in WWII in the British Armed Forces, some with distinction, one with a portrait in the National Portrait Gallery in London, 2 worked in MI5 and all held no hate for 'The English' five married English, one an Australian and one an Irishwoman living in England who served in the British Army, none of them hated the England or its past, because as they said you cannot change the past, its already happened, work to the future

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

we could all look in the mirror in every country the list would go on and on of what we have done to each other for greed land or wealth no one has clean hands.. jp

18. Likes N/A, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast