Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Work for the money

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Work for the money

I stand corrected Ivan. Your pay would have been the experience gained, I guess.
    KenT

2. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Your probably thinking of the old museum Cappy. This one has been built since I came out here, there was only the small one when we first arrived. They even have a submarine in this one, outside the building of course, but the building is in the harbour confines in any case. Anyone coming out here with memories of 30 and 40 years ago would get a shock. I can remember flying into Perth yonks ago and was only a field with a transit hut on it. Today they are going to start non stop flights direct to London next year. When we arrived there were less than a million people living here today believe there are over 2 million. The largest amounts of people however are over in the Eastern States. To get the title of City in WA had to have a population over 20,000. Don't know if they still cling to that ruling or not. There was more than twice that amount in Whitley Bay when I left. The old English rule of having to have a Cathedral to be called a city does not apply here Cheers JS

Perth is the most iosolated capital city in the world. It is farther from any other capital city than any other.

Those teeth in the museum are the same ones Mary, she of the wooden leg lost some years back. Cappy knows the story but will not say what happened, but we do, wink, wink.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Trehearne View Post
    I stand corrected Ivan. Your pay would have been the experience gained, I guess.
    KenT
    Thanks Ken, although I received no pay, the tips from the deckies and mates were usually very good and if you were not afraid of hard work, and of course a lot depended upon what the fish made when you arrived back in Hull, good market, good tips, poor market but still usually good tips, sometimes got tips from the firemen when you went down in the stokehold bunker and shovelled coal towards the firemen for them to fire the boilers, never afraid of hard work, to me it was all an adventure and prepared me for deep sea which was easy by comparison plus the bonus of girls in Havana and numerous other places

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re .post 32.
    Today they are going to start non stop flights direct to London next year.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Yes a Few days ago. John.the Newsreaders ,on all Channels round here were announcing It.Like as they'd just discovered sliced Bread.
    Can't understand ,Why? As in the early seventies. Think it was a British Airways.
    Joined it Melbourne,called at Perth,thence to Heathrow.

Recall ,the flight well.Had given-up smoking some months previous, Couple hrs from Heathrow.
    Went to stretch the legs.
    Got in to conversation ,with a ship's engineer,He'd boarded at Perth.Whilst talking He offered a cigarette. What the Hell! .Hadn't touched one for months, got it beaten,thinks I. Purchased a pkt. .returned the gift. So what ,only two !.

Brother is waiting ,on arrival. Get in his car .On the way on the M.4.Talking , automatically pushes a Cig. over to me. That was it Curtains, Hooked !
    Had the Habit for some year and half, again, though ,well over thirty years now, Nada! Hate the Smell of Them!

6. Thanks cappy, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The non stop to UK from Perth may not be what it appears.
    Five flights a week from a city as small as Perth will not pay them.
    Friend of mine in ravel industry says they will fly into Perth from Melbourne or Sydney, then non stop to UK.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pert to Heathrow is 17 hrs non stop, not for me in cattle class anyway, and most certainly not with Quantas, the last time I flew with them it was diabolical. The first time I flew with Quantas they were brilliant, that was 25 years ago, the last time 7 years ago, never again, kt

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quantas is certainly not as good as it was, First flew with them in 1975 in a 747, very good,
    Sydney to London

Last time 2012 in one of their Big Double Decker Jumbos, , It was horrible, squashed up with knees under the chin, no room at all, The woman in front put her seat back, hit me in the face and cut my nose and broke my glasses, I very near ripped her seat out,
    2015 flew with QATAR, Perth to Doha and then another one of theirs to London. again the worst flight ever, full of `moos`, never again.

I now pay that little extra and go Traveller Plus, far better. Never go Cattle Class again.

After my operation in Honolulu in 2013 the Insurance Co. flew us both home First Class, fantastic Service and comfort. only one problem
    SHE wants 1st Class every flight now,
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Queer And Nyphomaniacs Taken As Stewards has a reputation of having the most possible legal number of seats in cattle class as they can.
    Last time I flew with them was a good few years ago, but never again.
    We were coming back from Bali and had a stop in Sydney. On the way over hit a storm off Darwin and the windscreen damaged.
    They had to wait for a new one so we were told we would be going onward to Melbourne on the next available international flight.
    Seven hours later we were put, along with 18 others, onto a QUANTAS aircraft, empty going on to Melbourne for a flight to UK.
    As the 20 of us were the only ones on the plane we were told to sit any where. We were up at the rear end about two rows from the back.
    With my seat pushed back I was enjoying the flight when the trolley dolly came along with coffee and sandwiches for us.
    You will have to put your seat up sir she said, must consider the ones behind you.
    Problem was there was no one behind me so I said no!
    Like a red rag to a bull, she went off like a two bob watch saying I was being very unfair to the passengers behind me.
    When I asked her to show me where they were she stormed off and the steward in charge came along to tell me the same thing. Must put your seat back up for the comfort of the passengers behind or I would not be able to have the coffee.
    I told him to go away as I had no one behind me so was not doing any harm.
    He then told me he would report me to the company when the flight arrived. Be my guest I told him.
    Good friend of mine was a travel agent at the time and told me if he had a dollar for every one who said do not put me on QUANTAS I would be a rich man.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John if Cappy reads that post , he is going to go around tweaking everyones backside and saying I'm a nippomaniac. Cappy doesn't care male or female emu or parrot, the cat is now among the pigeons. JS

15. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5