Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Work for the money

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Work for the money

Where to start on this thread. With the Boy Scouts, Patrol Leader of the Curlews 16th Aberdeen, all the useful things you were taught. knots, tracking. living under canvas, cooking your food on an open fire and much more happy days. I also try the Life Boys not to my liking. The Army Cadets was run by a sadist so no go. It is strange I never went near the Sea Cadets but as they were on the opposite side of the river and the two communities had a long running mistrust of each other it might of had a bearing on it.
    A paper round was much sought after but you had to be 14 years of age and it required a licence from the local authority. When I as about 10 years old I would help an older lad deliver the Saturday night sports paper he received half a crown and gave me a tanner to deliver the ones which were on the out-skirts some distance away clever lad!
    On a Saturday morning I sometimes help out with a shipping butcher delivering the orders to the trawlers, many of the old steamers where you would bury the order under the ice in the fish room, very primitive no electrics.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There I was as a young almost innocent lad of 9 working weekends and holidays on my stepfathers pig farm. But it did me good as I spent some time as an officers steward.
    John. I have a hard time believing you were ever innocent.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#21... Did you have the old wooden floor boards with the bell tents. Never complained about them later in the Japanese Hotels, but did in the scouts. Forgot my groundsheet once and wondered what all the fuss was about as wasn't lying on the ground. All these youth groups did however instill some discipline in the youngsters, something which seems lacking today, however we are that far ahead in age, it is in most cases not the youngsters fault, but their parents who seem lacking themselves. Maybe going back far enough it was our fault. JS

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    in a second hand shop called honest jacks there was a knife with a deers hoof for a handle ....it was to me the biz sheath and all out of deerskin ....the owner was a old chinese ex seaman ...he lived in the back of the shop no running water no bog nothing .....he said if i came for 5 friday nights he would hold two bob a time for me till i had 10 bob ......the shop must have had 10000 items all to be polished and dusted and windows cleaned .....the old guy had TB and was coughing his lungs up ...he had a bucket to piss in and i had to takethe bucket of phlegm and the piss out to a drain.....i told my old man he went round and told him if i didnt get the knife he would put the bucket over his head ......i got the knife the next time i went but still did the 5 fridays.......had the knife for years much sort after by my mates.......honest jack long gone pigtail and all ......regards cappy

- - - Updated - - -

##think you told me once den were you lived in durham but have forgot ...wasnt shields was it regards cappy

- - - Updated - - -

think you once told me were you lived in durham Den......it wasnt shields was it ....regards cappy
    Hi cappy.
    House in Durham City under the railway bridge.
    Atherton st.
    Just up from the bus station.
    Couldn't get much more Durham City than that.
    Great place to grow up in.
    Still have fond memories.
    Had to hang on to the dishes when a train went overhead.
    The day of the year was the Saturday before July 20th. Miners Gala. Used to make a few bob one way or the other.

6. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGuckin View Post
    There I was as a young almost innocent lad of 9 working weekends and holidays on my stepfathers pig farm. But it did me good as I spent some time as an officers steward.
    John. I have a hard time believing you were ever innocent.

Well my mum told me I was a very good baby.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes N/A, Louis the Amigo, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Dennis, my wifes cousin was the mayor of Durham not so long back. He used to live in Shindcliffe, and right opposite where he lived was a former abode of Bliar, I went over to see the occupant to see if he had any dealings with the previous house owner, and if so was going to give him the black spot to pass on to him. As usual he said he had no dealings since buying the house. His wife Cherie or whatever they call her we practically bumped into her in the new Maritime Museum in Fremantle, going back a few years now, no one reconised her apart from my wife who drew my attention to, She was there with another woman of her own age and about 3 kids of about the years of 9 or 10. Trailing along behind them were two youngish men with haversacks and could have been backpackers. Putting 2 and 2 together later they were probably her bodyguard, and we did read in the paper later she was visiting an old school friend. He was PM at the time and was probably busy messing up the Middle East to what it is today. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th December 2016 at 06:21 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGuckin View Post
    Hi cappy.
    House in Durham City under the railway bridge.
    Atherton st.
    Just up from the bus station.
    Couldn't get much more Durham City than that.
    Great place to grow up in.
    Still have fond memories.
    Had to hang on to the dishes when a train went overhead.
    The day of the year was the Saturday before July 20th. Miners Gala. Used to make a few bob one way or the other.
    thats interesting .......gwen the lovely wife of JS had some relation to the mayor of durham ......does that mean JS is a Right honourable....have to watch our Ps and Qs now....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=j.sabourn;248034 no one reconised her apart from my wife who drew my attention to, JS[/QUOTE]

How could you not recognise that distorted mouth

12. Likes cappy, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dont know about the Right bit Cappy. The Honourable bit is a bit risqué as well especially after meeting one of your exes Sadjico in Osaka. The same cousin and his wife are now retired living in one of these retirement homes in Morpeth. Very nice couple with nice kids. He was in the Korean conflict as a National Serviceman and rose to be Colonel in the Durham Light Infantry before they were disbanded, in the Reserves of course. Used to be invited by South Korea along with hundreds of other British servicemen to South Korea, at least they appreciated the effort and the lives that were lost in this so called Police Action. It always seemed in the past that it was Foreign Countries that had to honour our servicemen, as said in a previous post they are much better looked after here than the UK and long may it stay. If you don't have the armed services as a deterrent you don't have anything. It is always the ordinary man in the street that takes all the slings and arrows. And has to pull governments out of the smelly stuff. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th December 2016 at 10:19 AM.

14. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#28... Ivan it was a Maritime Museum so there were all sorts of weird things in there. One thing that got up my nose in any Australian museum is that an object appears to be in the far distant past if it is over 40 years old. There was a set of indentures behind a glass case, and they weren't as old as mine, or yours. Havent been there since and the museum was fairly new then, so maybe bequeath some of my things to them when I go. Cappys seaboots would be a prize item and could also stand in a glass case. Cappy thinks indentures are false teeth, I have those as well but have my doubts they would put them on display. Cheers JS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast