Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Puddings

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Scottish for me?

Good mouth watering string this is.
    Scottish Black Pudding is the one for me and its sold in most Morrison’s up and down England, it has pearl barley instead of great lumps of fat. Morrison’s also sell Lorne Sausage (Square type) nothing better to accompany it but Staffordshire Oat Cakes.
    Do they still sell Black Peas in Bury Market?

Steve R770014 South Derbyshire

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Towns noted for their black pudding

Towns noted for their black pudding include Clonakilty, County Cork in Ireland's south west, Bury, Lancashire (now Greater Manchester) in northern England, and Stornoway, Isle of Lewis off the west coast of Scotland.

Black and white pudding, as well as a third variant from Fife—red pudding—are served battered at chip shops in Scotland and England as an alternative to fish and chips. SCOTLAND IS ALSO FAMED FOR THE DEEP FRIED "Mars Bar" and fish supper.

Edward Twomey's recipe for white pudding has been handed down in secret for over a century. Making this one of the most famous white puddings in the World. Clonakilty pudding white & black received gold and bronze in the great tastes awards in 1999, in the sausage category

Some say the French have the best discuss !
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 27th July 2009 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks again everybody for all your imput, very much appreciated. I have already set the ball in motion for trying the scottish variety . One of my mates as got a three month contract in Dundee , so the orders are in for local black puddings. I dont know how they will compare to the ones on your 3 sites Bill which where all mouth watering . Its like the quest for the holy grail. Yes Steve they still sell black peas on Bury market , I was going to get some but I was full of the warm black puddings they sell there.
    Here's to tall ships
    Here's to small ships
    Here's to all the ships on the sea
    But the best ships are friendships ..
    Here's to you and me .
    Mick. R832100

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith Ref your post about Scotland being famed for the Deep Fried Mars Bar, I have to say that I have never seen a chip shop in my part of the Capital or any other part of the East Coast serve such a thing. I may be wrong, but I am not a conusour (sp) of such a terrible sounding item, maybe they eat that on the west coast

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Mushy Pea Fritters

Have never seen a deep fried Mars Bar myself and been advised they do occur, but not in every chippy or chipper if your Irish. National press have a lot to answer for. But Mushy Pea Fritters are the real deal and Cod's Roe. Yummy. Irish potato pie's are also lovely and anything on chips: Cardiff CHICKEN CcURRY OFF THE BONE, Cornwall / Devon cheese etc. Holand mayo. Whats your favourite chip topper ?

Any modern recipes welcomed for the black stuff: EG:

Clonakilty Chicken

Supreme of chicken with Clonakilty pudding filling,wrapped in hickory smoked bacon,colcannon mashed potatoes,roasted root vegetables & scallion cream sauce.

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 27th July 2009 at 10:34 PM.

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Mort

Now then I know its a long way to come for 99% of you fellas but I have to tell you that down here on the Mornington Peninsula there is a butcher shop where they buy black puds in from a back yarder in Dandenong together with gammon, and pork pies.I have to say its passable any resident of Melbourne viewing I will give them the good oil.Mort
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Mortnj we get down to Dandenong a few times a year so if you know of somewhere as good as you say then please let us in on the secret. Heard of a chippie ;last year selling deep fried pizza!!!!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Black puddings

Hi Shipmates' Hi Tiger 1 Jean, Black Pudding is french, was brought to britain by the Normans, it is still made in france they have a ancient society, who make sure that the quality is up to the mark, The Farmers have it for breakfast cooked in red wine .Hi Tiger Jean hope your tests' are all finish and you are well. Haggis Tatties' and neeps {Burns. Night}Have you andress the Haggis and stabb it with a dirk? I have been to many burns' night over the years allways a great night in my club, we would only allow a proper scots' man or lady to andress the Haggis, brought in with Lone piper on sliver plate, and would finish the andress with a wee dram. The haggis is scottish not any other country can claim it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim, sorry my google search has no mention of Stornaway being the home of Black pudding, the history of black pudding goes back to before the Romans, but i have tasted the "Marag Dubh" from Stornaway, and I like it.
    I think you should apologise to Tiger, your statement that she may be gullable was not very nice or polite

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default black pudding

Can't understand all this fuss about black pudding, which in my opinion ranks alongside tripe and haggis as one of the gastronomic disasters of these islands, YUUUUUK.

Mike
    [SIGPIC]R704799[SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast