Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 72nd Anniversary of D Day Landings.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 72nd Anniversary of D Day Landings.

Quote Originally Posted by FOURO View Post
    Re #12.
    After reading thro' your thread Ivan, may I ask why all of you on this site " forgot to remember " that Monday 6th June was the 72nd anniversary of D-Day, one of the most important dates in this country's history. Rather than shoot yourself in the foot, don't you think it would have made more sense if you had written :
    We on this site will ALWAYS forget and will NEVER remember, so lets draw a line under it.FOURO.

Sorry to say that the above posting shows your true colours and that humility appears to be not one of your attributes, who are you to say who remembers or forgets what happened during WWII or any other conflict. You felt aggrieved like a spoilt child that you didn't get 10,000 likes or thankyous for your post and had the audacity to assume from that, that others didn't care.

I would venture to suggest that I and many others on this site have done far more than yourself to keep alive the memory of those in our service who served and sacrificed for their country. So be a man, man up and apologise to all on site you have undoubtedly offended and then let it rest, rather than retorting with another insulting reply, it will earn you more respect

2. Thanks Keith Tindell, Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many of us remember in private, I lost a family member at D Day
    So Fouro if you want to complain about D Day memories, get onto the Prime Minister, The Minister of Defence, The BBC, THE News Papers,
    and your MP and get them to remember.
    IT IS THEY WHO DO NOT REMEMBER.
    They do Not want to offend the Germans, The Men who gave their all will be horrified that the Government of Today does Not want to know what they did, that they sacrificed their lives for NOTHING.. It is Not even taught in schools as it is now offensive or never happened,
    But do Not make Snide Remarks about members on here. We all have our own ways

NOW FOURO IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO WRITE TO CAMERON and ask WHY????
    THEN LET US KNOW IF YOU REALLY ARE DEDICATED TO THE CAUSE.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

its us that are being invaded? by all the dross that wants to drop their hooks here for an easy life we will pay the price big time? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In May last year i was on holiday in St Mawes Cornwall, and found the site on the river, a couple of hundred yards from the King Harry ferry, where the American 29th embarked for the invasion, it is down a very narrow lane purposely built to take the armoured vehicles etc, and at the end of the lane you walk down to the actual site of embarkation, the concrete mooring posts are still concreted into the bank, and there is a plaque commemorating this occasion. You immediately think of the troops leaving this most beautiful English countryside, and a few hours later into a situation of hell, a large proportion of them lost their lives, its a very thought provoking site. perhaps you should visit it sometime Fouro, it might teach you a little humility !!! kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hasten to get too involved however as one who didn't respond I take this opportunity to give my thoughts.

Sometimes I put up posts on this site and indeed others remembering my own father - especially around the anniversary - and what he and his shipmates went through after being torpedoed. I wanted to do a bit more so made a website about it as I had the skills. Sometimes people respond sometimes they don't. I don't expect members to like it or say anything and I don't take any offence if some don't but I know that most think about it - we are after all ex-seafarers and have a common interest and bond. One of the reasons I got involved with this site was to help those seeking information on those very same seafarers, this I am glad to do - many others do the same. We do remember, we do it in many different ways we don't bang any drums but do it quietly and that is fine too.

So, yes, remembering D Day is very important, I know, and I have read countless survivors reports and pointed individuals to the many COMNO pouches of those who served.
    From my website
    "The merchant seaman never faltered.
    To him we owe our preservation and our very lives".

The Right Honourable Alfred Barnes,
    Minister of War Transport - July 1945.
    As I said I have no wish to get too involved as I have no reason to apologise to anyone - but those are my thoughts for what it is worth.

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 9th June 2016 at 06:18 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
    John ,I feel that you might have missed the gist of our rhetoric against Fouro. Read the thread from the beginning.
    That we do not remember our history is not in doubt, because all of us on this site certainly do.
    What is disrespectful was his unwarranted outburst against we members of this site,calling it shameless and us disrespectful just because he didn't receive any Thanks or Likes for his post. Therefore ,in his own mind, we weren't remembering D-Day and therefore we deserve to be insulted by him..
    Like Hell we do !

Yes Gulliver on that I agree. It is often a case of private remembrance and not something we go around shouting about. But we must do all we can to ensure future generations arte aware of the sacrifices made on the behalf of future ones.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re #18.
    I'm not responsible for any wording in this thread, so why have I been so grossly insulted?.

FOURO.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Furious.
    My brother who died some years ago in NZ was on a merchant ship at the D day landings, he told me all about the terrible things that happened. I visited Dunkirk many years ago and only wondered how some of those men survived. I have seen many many docos and films of D Day and I will NEVER EVER forget the sacrifices of those men of all Nations who took part, as I will NEVER EVER forget the men of the MN, Air forces, Navies, and ARMIES and all the civilians who helped take down the Nazi regime. I do not attend any marches or memorials I don't need to.
    I can only assume that you are disappointed in the replies to your post, I for one have been off color for a few days at 85 that's not surprising, and not on the site, and at our ages I suspect others may be in the same boat.
    Cheers Des

redc.gif
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 13th June 2016 at 01:17 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FOURO View Post
    Re #18.
    I'm not responsible for any wording in this thread, so why have I been so grossly insulted?.

FOURO.
    you made a silly statement fouro .....its done and dusted forget it mate ...we all make them best wishes cappy

12. Thanks Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If Cameron takes us into Europe then All those Brave Men would have been Sacrificed for nothing.,
    bRIAN

14. Likes Dennis McGuckin, vic mcclymont liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast