Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: looking for info on the ship sarawak

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: looking for info on the ship sarawak

Hi Marian
    What you found on Hugh Jeffreys born in Belfast could possibly be him,as I have just received this latest info from my cousin, this is what they have on Hugh. His name is JEFFREYS (at least spelt that way today) he was born (according to Find my Past Website - Merchant Seaman Transcription ) on 11 July 1835 in Antrim Northern Ireland ( I checked this is about 13 miles from Belfast. It would appear he joined the Merchant Navy as an apprentice. According to the 1851 Census (in which Hugh's age is listed as 17)and the Merchant Navy records 1851-52 he was a resident of Liverpool. In 1863 he married Elizabeth Rooney in Liverpool. He is still listed on the marriage certificate as a seaman. In 1871 Census Hugh (age listed as 36) is living with Elizabeth and Elizabeth's 12 year old son William.The next merchant navy record that I found was the record of his death on 13 December 1872. When he drowned aboard the SARAWAK. which had sailed from Liverpool His age was listed as 39 but I believe he was only 37). Also drowned that day aboard the same ship were, Jas Kelly, Wm O'Neill, Joh Murry, John Sullivan, Timothy Carthy, John Lea, W, McQuirk & Pad. Travis. All men died in debt and all belongings were lost. The deaths were not reported to the Board of Trade until April 23, I presume 1873, also found was an H.O. Jeffries who was indentures at age 15 on 19 Dec 1854, ship was the Buna Buna port of registry Liverpool year of birth abt 1839, here again is the different surname spelling's, the family today have used the spelling Jeffreys, but as we know spelling gets lost in transcribing, my own name I found was spelt 3-4 different ways over the years, and birth dates can vary 3-5 years, so this is all my cousins have found so far and not 100% sure on who is their g/g/granfather, again thank you for all your help
    AL Etherington-----------Canada

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, judith george, Doc Vernon liked this post
    gray_marian Guest

#21, Thank you Al for the update, appreciated. Sent email to Sandra [historian, at Inverclyde library] with new dates, will go back and search Ancestry again myself as they had nothing listed under Dec 1872.

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Marian
    Ok and thanks
    AL

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Marian
    My PC has been for a few day's, in my back log of emails was one from Rona about the Sarawak,saying you had found out everything you could on it, so thanks for all your help

AL Etherington -----------Canada

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3