Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tube Drivers Strike.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Tube Drivers Strike.

Whilst I am in no way affected by the strike of Tube Drivers in London, who have been offered up to £50,000.00 per anum ,which equates to £320.00 per HOUR, yes that is PER HOUR for a 30 hour a week, and they say they are not satisfied and want more then I would do what Ronald Regan did with the Air Traffic Controllers when they went on a smilar strike in the USA a few years ago. He gave them the ultimatum to either report for work on the following Monday or be sacked. Then he went ahead and sacked all those who did not report for duty at the given time. It took only a short while to replace and train their replacements but the world did not come to an end. Do the same here with the Tube Drivers and I bet there is no doubt any number of existing Railway workers who would willingly replace the drivers who didn't report for work. It will no doubt cause a very big row BUT its not the end of the wold and it wil not ffect the Leaders of the Union who are on about £128,000. per anum plus expences.

John Albert Evans

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Tube Drivers Strike.

Good one John Albert
    and we used to drive BIG ships for peanuts and be away from home for months with out a whinge.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I also believe that the drivers are being offered up to £200 per night for their night shift, a grand a week on top of their salaries, not bad.
    You can always tell a bank holiday is nearing, RMT and the other rail unions always go on strike. Or threaten strike action.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that's nearly as much as an asylum seeker gets?? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I look at it this way, they, the drivers are offered a huge amount of money to do the job they are being paid for, so it would be a matter for them to decide wether to carry on and earn £1000.00 + per week or go back to looking for new employment. Can you imagine telling your wife that your not gong to be having £1000.00+ per week any more my love while I'm looking for a new job paying the living wage £280.00per week.
    Its a play off between the workers who say they are just doing what the Trade Union Bosses reccomend them to do and the Trade Union Bosses stating they are acting in the best interests of their members.
    See what happens when real reality strikes and the actual driver has to decide do I want £320.00p per hour or the dole and then face the wife telling her its a matter of principle.

John Albert Evans.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apparently the tube is nearing the stage that it can be fully automated (no drivers), I thik the rail unions could be in for a surprise in the next few years.
    As an aside one of the Mainline train Company staff are going on strike because of the new Hitachi Trains that are coming soon. The strike is over who should open and close the doors.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many years ago nobody wanted to be a tube driver it wasn't a very nice job to be in.However men and women took on this job that nobody wanted and over the years through negotiations they have got to where they are now.I must admit that the present salary that they are on I would consider very lucrative so what there present grudge is I don't know,I realise more money is part of it.When you way it up they are on peanuts to people in the City and nobody worries about the vast amounts of money that these people who put the country on it's knees are earning.I don't think anyone on here would refuse the tube drivers earnings and when you consider the way in which we were ripped off at sea.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In Singapore the trains do not have drivers, it is all computerised, they do over 100 miles an hour, and stop exactly to the inch at the platform doors, All the platforms are covered in with a door that opens to the train door.
    A fantastic experience to be on them.
    Brian
    If that system arrives here then they will be out of a job.

9. Thanks David Williams thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Apparently the tube is nearing the stage that it can be fully automated (no drivers), I thik the rail unions could be in for a surprise in the next few years.
    As an aside one of the Mainline train Company staff are going on strike because of the new Hitachi Trains that are coming soon. The strike is over who should open and close the doors.
    Vic
    Yes that's our SouthWest trains, not the most reliable in the country and going on strike for four days over Bank Holiday and blatantly state that they are doing it at that time because they know it will cause the most disruption to families trying to get their children back for the new term, it is their idea of beating the bosses with a big stick and do not have the common sense to see that they are cutting their own throats, and not only that they say that the public are behind them, in their dreams. We depend on tourism down here, people will cancel their breaks if they are unsure of getting back, so they are affecting thousands in the tourist industry and costing the region millions and they are stupid enough to think the public support them!! Not a great believer in automation, but the sooner the better!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8.... sorry Brian, the Singapore MRT trains do nowhere near 100mph. They are good, they are clean, they link up with the buses, in a highly efficient public transport system, but at 100mph they would soon be literally joining the buses on the roads!

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast