Thread: CITY OF CAIRO Wreck Located

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default CITY OF CAIRO Wreck Located

The wreck of the ss CITY OF CAIRO has been located lying at a depth of 5150 meters. Deep Ocean Search (DOS) under contract to the UK Ministry of Transport began serious researching in 2011 and finally left site on 25th September 2013 after removing several tens of tons of silver and the end section of the second torpedo. A plaque was left at the site commemorating the visit.

The ship’s cargo included approx. 100 tons of silver which was loaded just prior to sailing from Bombay on 1st October 1942 and this was obviously the focus of the search. The dive was a world depth record at 5150 meters.

The dive appears to have been carried out professionally, however, it would appear that when gold, silver and the UK government are concerned then no wreck is off limits whether the ship is a grave or not.
    For the record there were just over 300 souls on board with one third of the complement lost at sea when the ship was torpedoed and sunk on 6th November 1942 by U-68 (Karl-Friedrich Merten). Lest we forget.

I have researched this ship for well over 10 years now and have a website dedicated to all who sailed in her: ss CITY OF CAIRO
    You can also read the story of the search by DOS and view quite a few photos on their site: Deep Ocean Search - Home

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: CITY OF CAIRO Wreck Located

It was very interesting to view the photo of City of Cairo its is amazing how deep they can go these days that would be in the area were we got sunk

3. Thanks Hugh, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What a very interesting and informative post Hugh, thank you very much for bringing it to our notice.

Chris.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

5. Thanks Hugh thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank You Chris.

I hoped that the post would be a topic for discussion on a few different levels. I have been aware that there have been feasibility studies on diving the wreck location since at least 1982 but due to the extreme depth that the wreck was thought to lie made it off limits at least until now. As time moves on technology evolves and although this dive was a world depth record it was very challenging by all accounts.

The UK government contracted Deep Ocean Search to recover the silver coins that were loaded into the holds just prior to sailing from Bombay 1st October 1942. One estimate in 1983 put the value of the silver at £20 million no doubt in 2015 that will be worth a heck of a lot more. There is no suggestion whatsoever that the dive wasn't carried out in a professional and respectful manor quite the opposite but there are in my opinion some questions that those of us who have a connection with the ship and indeed not just this ship but any ship that was sunk taking the lives of seamen and passengers are entitled to ask.

The dive was carried out in secret hence the information is only coming out now - the operation to find her started in 2011 and the last dive carried out in September 2013. The focus of the operation was clearly the silver.
    Are we confused about designated and non-designated war graves? Our government has dived on both and I cite the case of HMS EDINBURGH carrying gold bullion and a designated war grave but that wreck was also dived and the gold recovered by HMG or should we just accept that the money belongs to the country and would be better recovered and put to good use (or not) depending on your politics.

How much of the recovered silver went to the government coffers how much went to the contractors, is that any of our business?

I wish as much effort went into recognising our brave merchant seamen who sailed those seas in all weathers with the associated dangers of the time namely, unrestricted submarine warfare, raiders, mines, air attack in order to ensure the country was able to survive and also to continue the fight. It was a secret hush hush affair in and out, and not a cheap from the government about the 100+ souls who gave all.

Respectfully,

Hugh MacLean
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

7. Thanks N/A, eric fisher, Doc Vernon, cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hugh if it's any consolation all the people I have had contact with (supplying them equipment) who were or are engaged in recovering valuable cargoes from vessels sunk in the wars have shown the greatest respect for the vessel, the men who sailed on her and the site and some (if not all) have a commemorative plague made to place on the wreck when they have finished recovery operations. Naturally some of the value of the recovered bounty has to go to the contractors to defray their costs and allow some profit margin for upkeep and updating recovery equipment and location systems. They never ever reveal the Lat/Long of their operation, especially a war grave situation, alas it is becoming more difficult to observe secrecy with vessels these days having to carry transponders showing their positions and there are those who have no respect for the living or dead who are trying to trace these recovery vessels by fair means or foul. In most cases after the contractors have been paid the residue goes into treasury coffers. But as I said I have found nothing but respect from the operators and crews of these vessels for our forbears who have had to undertake the task of recovery.

9. Thanks Captain Kong, Hugh thanked for this post