Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Communism

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Communism

Sorry to go against the trend, but I lived in Singapore for two years. In a Government 'new generation' two-storey flat opposite Bedok Reservoir. These are reserved for Singaporeans, so we leased in my wife's name, since she was a Singaporean born and raised. During that time I was personally robbed three times. I then moved across the Causeway, and had a nice terrace house in Taman Johor Jaya for three years. I wasn't robbed at all. Furthermore, I wasn't a 12 year old girl, but I could walk a Kilometre to whichever café was open, for a meal at 2 o'clock in the morning, with no fear of being attacked. Lee was a great statesman, but a ruthless one. He thought nothing of using the courts to get rid of opponents. He owned the Straits Times, and closed the Singapore Herald because he didn't like some of the things it printed. He and his cabinet members were about the highest paid politicians in the world - in order to 'keep them free of corruption.' Nevertheless, when the Bank of Brunei went belly-up, he sent his people from the Monetary Authority of Singapore to sort it out Government to Government, and try to hush it up. Because quite a few of his fellow politicians had money in Brunei they couldn't plausibly explain, as Honourable Oriental Gentlemen (HOG for short). Finally, Singapore is now one of the most expensive places to live in the world. Husbands and wives running ever faster in order to stand still. Some of them even with two jobs each. Yes, it's clean and usually safe, and the education system is top class, as is its integrated public transport system. But there's a price to be paid for everything, and personal freedoms are very restricted for ordinary Singaporeans.

2. Thanks j.sabourn, Captain Kong, N/A, cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There were other letters in the papers today Braid similar to yours, which were in answer to the one posted yesterday. Don't know about the politics but do know Singapore was not cheap during my latter visits there and was dearer than Perth. Knew of course about the chewing gum, and can also remember way back when the flower people and those with long hair were refused entry by immigration. Cheers John S

4. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember John. I once went to an Indian barber in JB before crossing the Causeway to Singapore. Told him "Short back and sides, but not too short." He gave me a crew cut! I told him I wasn't going to pay him, and he started a ruckus. So I told him "Okay, I'll pay you - after you sweep up my hair and give me it back." He settled for keeping my hair - probably had a buyer ready. I've always been a real blond - and taken some ribbing for it, I can tell you. As recently as ten years ago my son's wife, who is a professional hairdresser, told him after cutting my hair "David, your father has beautiful soft hair. I know women who would kill to have hair like that." A dark lady in Mozambique couldn't keep her hands off it, and told me "The sun comes down from the sky and shines out of your head." I thought when do the commercials start?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Braid Ive heard of the sun shining in other places, or should say out of. An old indian fortune teller told me I wouldn't live past 40, just to prove him wrong I'm going to. Cheers John S

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take a look at this object, He has ordered all citizens to follow his example and all grow there hair like his if you go through the pics a lot of them actually have...................Wouldn't You

Kim Jong-un in pictures: The bizarre photoshoots of North Korea's leader - Telegraph
    {terry scouse}

8. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What a nice man,.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Des Taff Jenkins;197957]Hi John.
    Crime seems to have climbed over in Western Aus, when I first went to Freemantle back in 49 it was a lovely quiet place. I agree with you on Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew was a benevolent dictator, but boy was it good to walk down a street without being molested or have chewing gum stuck to your shoes. There was no display of weeping from our politicians when they executed drug runners like the mob we have now, makes you wonder if they are involved and worried of exposure, certainly someone very big in Aus behind the drugs.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Alan whitlow; 26th March 2015 at 08:55 PM.

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Communism is great for the masses,as long as they do as
    they are told.
    Dave Williams

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no axe to grind against any communist or country run on Dictatorship levels. It is up to the populations of these countries to change and not outsiders. Our own governments of the past have proved how ineffectual they are in legislation in point where crime does indeed pay, and have been swayed all along the line by minority groups and probably with a bit of self interest thrown in for good measure. I do draw the line however where these minority groups try to persuade countries of the plight of these countries. We are all aware of human suffering in all its forms, and I am totally against admitting people whose aim in life once they have got themselves in the right position will then attempt to change values and bring in their own outdated and religious fanatical laws. If the answer to this is to appear to be heartless, then so be it. Most of us weren't brought up with a silver spoon in our gobs, like some of the so called gentry who think they sit in a parliament and are the right ones to make decisions for us. Politicians of any party have always been the cause of upheaval and always will be, we can ill afford to add religious beliefs to such a crock of #hit. JS

14. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some countries Need to be run by Dictators.

Saddam was a Dictator, Iraq was peaceful,
    But he kept the terrorist in check , none there when he was there. Our Pollies got rid of him to bring Democracy. Millions killed and full of terrorists now.

Ghadaffi was a Dictator, Libya was peaceful.
    No terrorists there but our Pollies said we will bring Democracy. thousands killed Now full of Terrorists,

Assad was a Dictator, Syria was peaceful.
    Our Pollies said we will bring Democracy, Hundreds of thousands killed and full of Terrorists.

and so on and so on.

Why are our Pollies so stupid.???????
    I have no democracy. My MP was born in Pakistan, no interest in me. my Town Councillors were all born in the same place, Not interested in me. So where is My Democracy. Will our Pollies get rid of my foreign rulers????
    Brian

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast