Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Role model

gray_marian Guest

Default Role model

Any views on whether Ched Evans is a decent role model for youngsters?

2. Thanks Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Role model

Marian, I follow the beautiful sport of football all over the world, If you work for the Crown example the Royal Mail, Her Majesties Royal Navy, Her Majesty's Customs, Her Majesties armed forces, And where convicted and served time for committing rape drunk or not. You would be kicked out for good never to return. Why should this lad get his job back kicking a ball and getting paid in excess of £25.000 a week. In my opinion he should never kick a ball again and you are quite correct if he does what message does this send out to todays youth. Enough said Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

4. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Lou Barron thanked for this post
    Likes Braid Anderson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Up here in the hills of PNG I have no idea who Ched Evans is, and actually I don't much care.

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never heard of him. But this week they gave us the result of a match with Man Unt in it. Things must be bad there as the commentator said, Blind scored an equaliser. Never knew they played with white sticks now.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For those who are in the dark, Ched Evans, {where do you get a name like Ched from?} was/is a footballer for Championship outfit Sheffield Wednesday. He was apparently quite a decent footballer who had a promising career ahead of him but like many of hid fellow footballers allowed what little fame he had, go to his head.
    He was accused of raping a young girl in a hotel in North Wales, was tried, convicted and spent some time in jail. He is now out of jail and wishes to resume his career with his club. Throughout all he has protested his innocence, despite being convicted by a jury of his peers and has never apologised to the girl in question, saying that the sex involved was consensual. His wanting to resume playing at Sheffield Wednesday has resulted in a large online petition against this due to his refusal to apologise for any of his actions and his club are still considering their actions as he is still under contract to them.
    He has acted in a similar manner to a long line of footballers of both the premier league clubs and players from the lower divisions, who think that just because they have a talent for the game and in many cases earn obscene amounts of money, that they are beyond the law and when it comes to women they expect them all to fall into bed with them despite their {the footballers} obvious lack of manners, charm or even looks. Regretfully and I say this without any meaning to disparage the fairer sex, there are a number of them who seem to think that being the trophy asset of one of these numpty's is their passport to 5 minutes of fame. Just go to any nightclub in a city that has a half decent football team and watch the actions of some women when these footballers appear in the nightclub and they act like flies round a jam jar. I am not condoning or disparaging their actions, just stating the obvious. These women are like many of todays younger generation who will do anything for a few moments of so called fame. The problem is these footballers are also so enchanted by their own minor fame that they willingly take advantage of these women.
    As to the question of whether he should be a role model, can anyone name a modern day footballer who could be classed as a role model? I very much doubt it. I know that many clubs do have community projects where their players visit hospitals, day care centres and community projects but a lot of this is to promote their club and consists of a few hours with the press in attendance to show how caring the club is. I cannot think of one player who devotes large amounts of his spare time and money to good causes without having the press in attendance.
    So Ched Evans a role model? I think not.
    rgds
    JA

9. Thanks Braid Anderson, Captain Kong, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

one honest straight forward guy .....a true decent man .......eddie gray ....ex leeds united....no show off what you see is what you get...regards cappy

11. Likes Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    Any views on whether Ched Evans is a decent role model for youngsters?
    #####not a role model for anyone or anything ......but still think any female who gets picked up by a ....footballer of any note then goes back to a hotel with him .......must know what is in store for her .....if every girl who cameaboard a ship and didnt know what was going to be on the list shouted rape half the merchant navy would have been banged up......its like jumping in shark infested waters.....losing a leg then blaming the shark .....a stupid girl .....but there will be many more yet .....i have a couple of good mates decent guys and the offers they got were unbelievable.....both ex england players.....having said that they were both happily married........there fun was laughing at the antics of the females trying to attach to them.....laughable to look at......a silly girl ......regards cappy

13. Thanks Braid Anderson, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy
    Eddie Gray.... not to be confused with that numpty Gray who used to work at Sky Sports and who made disparaging remarks regarding fellow women workers.
    Agree Eddie Gray is doing sterling work and avoids showing his work to the press and promoting himself.
    Used to watch that Leeds team he was in and boy where they a hard and often dirty bunch of players. There Manager Don Revie was a bit of a weirdo and he was one of the first managers to embrace the "win at any cost" ethos. If you ever watch old footage of Eddie Gray going past his opponent you will see he often used to lightly catch his opponents heel as he went past him. This was his trick and over the course of the game this would slow his opponent down. In that era of football the players were much tougher and got away with a lot of things that these days would result in a yellow card.
    Looked him up on the net and he is running football schools these days.
    The one player I would put forward as a role model is Bobby Charlton, who also started football schools.
    Of the recent modern days players I would put forward David Beckham who when he was playing for England wore his heart on his sleeve. Although he has made a fortune out of not only his playing career but also from his career after football, he appears to be a dedicated family man who devotes a lot of his time and money to good causes.
    Yes there was a hint of scandal when he was playing in Spain but that appeared to be more of someone telling porkies in order to gain some fame. Maybe there was a hint of truth in it but who amongst us all can claim to have led a blameless life, not even the Pope I guess.
    rgds
    JA

15. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

john Jamie caragher does a hell of a lot for the local area in our city and is never after any publicity parks youth clubs play areas fund raisers a real down to earth young man and all for nothing and is always willing to help and although he is worth a few bob not like some has stayed in the area ..jp

17. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A, John Gill liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have to agree with cappy on this one,if a young lady agreed to go back to a hotel with a young man would he think rightly or wrongly that she is coming back for one purpose.A good case here a couple of weeks ago gave the lads in the pub a good laugh after reading the sunday paper.A local girl here was invited back to a recent Liverpool FC signing ( a guy with a funny haircut).Her and a few mates were told tobe at the local train station to where the footballer lived,they were told that they would be picked up by car and taken to his house.I don't know if they were expecting a stretched limo but they got picked up by some lad in a banger.Back at the house the footballer told his mate to show some of the girls the swimming pool whilst he showed this girl upstairs.Once he had his wicked way he ordered a cab and sent them on their way with no offers to se her again.She gave the story to the paper because she thought that he had just used her!!!!What would've been the situation if she had cried rape.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

19. Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast