Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Strange times

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Strange times

I wonder if you guys agree with me that we have been living in a strange and confusing world in recent times.

At the moment ex employees of Rupert Murdoch's News of the World and Sun newspapers are on trial at the Old Bailey facing charges of phone hacking, if found guilty it could mean a prison sentence. Meanwhile our own government and the U.S. are spying on our phone calls, text messages and emails yet apparently this is perfectly O.K. although both are invasions of privacy.

Another subject.

The U.S. and its allies are not at war with Pakistan, Somalia or Yemen but drones enter their borders and kill their citizens. You may say they are only killing terrorists but when a person is blown into a hundred pieces in a missile attack how do know if that person was a terrorist or not?
    What happened to international law? What happened to a person is innocent until proven guilty?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Strange times

Louis
    Quite frankly I could not give a damm who those drones blow up as I consider 99% of the population of the countries mentioned to be terrorists, either religious, financial, illegal or any other way. In the main they are terrorising our way of life either from afar or internally, so the less of them the better.
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re. the anger by Indonesia towards Australia amplified by our own national network tv. As far as I am concerned the PM is doing the right thing and has no need to apologise to said country, every country has spies. I would withdraw the 55 billion dollars Australia subscribes to Indonesia and put to other uses. Any boats in distress in Indonesian waters let them give comfort to, as regards to the beef trade look for other markets. Let the said country stew in their own juices and for goodness sake make it law that news effecting the security of the country is not available to a non reliable press corps. Stick an M notice on certain items that are not for publication. Britain and most powers do it. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Shipmates,Hi Louis. The government spies on everyone in the U.K. only M.P.s are above the law .The rule of international law dont apply to drones every one is a terrorist??? who lives in any country but America ,you are guilty by going or being in the wrong place, at the wrong time men, women, or children ,the drones dont care they just kill ... No justice no trial no hope you are dead.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Louis
    Quite frankly I could not give a damm who those drones blow up as I consider 99% of the population of the countries mentioned to be terrorists, either religious, financial, illegal or any other way. In the main they are terrorising our way of life either from afar or internally, so the less of them the better.
    rgds
    JA

Haven't you learned anything from history. Actions such as drone strikes recruit more and more people to the terrorist cause, instead of solving the problem it encourages hate and fear and the call to arms. You cannot fight terrorism by being a bigger terrorist. The 99% of the population you mention would of course include innocent women and children. Sad world you live in.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the fly View Post
    Haven't you learned anything from history. Actions such as drone strikes recruit more and more people to the terrorist cause, instead of solving the problem it encourages hate and fear and the call to arms. You cannot fight terrorism by being a bigger terrorist. The 99% of the population you mention would of course include innocent women and children. Sad world you live in.
    well don't we get them on this merchant navy site if you don't like it here go and live in thingummieland

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is just the point. The only way to fight terrorism is by terrorism. The main maxim of any war fight fire with fire. No good sitting back like a big schoolgirl, although saying that some of the girls today are worse than the boys. John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only good terrorist is a dead terrorist.
    I wonder how many terrorist suicide bombers have blown themselves up since it all started.
    "What fools these mortals be"
    that should keep a lot of them off the streets.
    I notice that none of the chiefs blow themselves up.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Chiefs are members of the intelligence services, there not daft. John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As one Lou i agree with Lou

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast