Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Travel Insurance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Travel Insurance

Hello everybody
    We are going on a 18 night Cruise on Fed Olsens "Balmoral" to the Canary islands, Madeira and Cape Verdie Islands, which means World wide cover for Insurance
    OK I have the odd illness the main one being Chronic Pancreatitus ( nautical good times and self inflicted) also the wife has high blood pressure (mild )
    The cost of our travel insurance for the 18 nights (Bloody Diabolical) in my opinion £ 1058. 00 with SAGA
    (Send All Grannies Away) Insurance Company
    No way would I have agreed to it but then thought about what happened to another member on here on a cruise in Hawaii ,
    I soon changed my mind and paid up. It seems nowadays if you don't declare ALL medical conditions your insurance could be invalid. I suppose if you don't declare all its not worth taking out Insurance at all.

Your thoughts Gentlemen,

I'm sure I overpaid BUT.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was quite a discussion some time back on this subject, Kong Brian, made a lot of enquries and came up with a good deal, and whats more his paid out on his cruise. I should think as soon as he reads this post he will let you know what company, but it was much cheaper than you have paid as i recall. I use my account with Nationwide insurance, free for europe, and a top up fee for worldwide, includes the other half, regards KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is the trouble with travel insurance the oleo you it gets more expensive it pays to shop around but it is a must to have it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Insurance

I have always found SAGA a rip off on all their insurances, car, home, contents, travel etc etc. My worldwide with Staysure is £310 a good deal considering I am over 75, have high blood pressure, Asthma. I found that once I had reached over 65 I somehow became a liability to myself, my country but most of all to Insurance Companies. Ran my own business until I was 73 but insurance companies were loathe to insure me or my company once I'd reached what they considered the age of sensibility, every premium triples once you reach that magic figure even though I am much fitter than my 40 year old neighbours, who go to bed at 2130 on a Saturday night because they are worn out (he's a photographer, she's a clairvoyant, both very demanding occupations!!) at 2130 on a Saturday we're just leaving the house for 3 hours rock n roll, salsa and other dances, as we do on Fridays, we also do 8 mile walks, they cannot walk 800 yards, but their insurance is still cheaper than mine. Insurance companies look at numbers not people.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

try age concern, very reasonable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Graham.
    I cruise world wide every year, from the States to the Pacific Islands and Australia. I am 78, she 74.
    I have high blood pressure, controlled by tablets. She is not on any medication. Thats it.
    I am insured by Royal Bank of Scotland. They have a scheme, Royalties Gold. costs £12.95 a month.
    It also includes many other benefits.
    On travel World Wide under the Royalties Gold , It is free up to age 70. I pay an extra £50 for the two of us because we are older than 70.
    I pay an extra £50 because of the high blood pressure.
    That is up to 30 days away. I can go several times during a 12 month period for that.
    because I always do six to 8 weeks away I pay an extra £50,
    So for a trip all around the world it costs me £150 for two of us. This is for one year.
    Now this year, I only did 6 days of a six week cruise to the Pacific, and paid off in Hawaii with severe Pancreaitus and a gangrene gall bladder.
    Two weeks in Honolulu, she in a top hotel , me 8 days in the Queens Medical Centre, two operations to save my life, they gave me four days to live without treatment.
    and then me in the hotel for another week resting. then First class air from Honolulu to Manchester, chaufer car waiting to take me to our home in Bolton.
    Total cost £55,000.which included, $51,546 US. for the hospital, $3,000 Hotel bill, £12,000 for 1st class air fares,
    refund for the cruise we missed. and other incidentals.
    So that was a good deal. Cannot complain about that.
    My insurance is still valid to 31December. Then I will need another one for next year, I do not know if my ilness will go against me or not, but the cause of the illness, a gangrene gall bladder can never happen again, it was removed and binned.
    So there you have it.
    I believe other Banks have a similar scheme. So it is worth while checking it out.
    Hope this information is of use to you. What you paid sounds like a rip off to me.
    Always declare any medical treatment you had had during the last six months, it is important, it may cost £50 extra but you could end up in debt if you dont.
    Cheers
    My deal sounds very similar to Keiths Nationwide one.
    Brian.
    PS Graham the Balmoral is on TV every week on her world cruise check out the TV Times.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 30th July 2013 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Graham
    The Balmoral is on at 8,30PM on BBC2 tonight. Tuesday.
    Brian,
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 30th July 2013 at 05:38 PM.

gray_marian Guest

Default Insurance

Is 'fire walking' included? :
    Last edited by gray_marian; 30th July 2013 at 11:52 PM.

gray_marian Guest

Default Insurance

In 2005 I tried arranging Insurance for my father to visit me in Palma. After reciting his medical condition, heart transplant years before, skin cancer twice,and thrice weekly dialysis sessions and everything that went with that, some companies were either aghast that he would even contemplate the trip or other's wanted to charge extortionate sums. He previously had to cancel numerous other holiday's in Europe due to his health so thought "what the hell" with one provision. If anything "happened" I was to have him cremated and delivered home as soon as...

This I promised, so on collecting them from Glasgow, traveled with mum & dad & wheelchair. We wined & dined every night for two weeks, whilst I monitored his fluids! siesta's for him in the afternoon, even managed the odd excursion, shopping trips and his favourite down at the Port checking out the Ship's. Great time had by all, thank goodness. Brought them home safely.Three weeks later went for his morning snooze and passed away peacefully in his sleep. His mantra always was "It's just your Donald Duck!" Not for everyone I agree. Would I do it again? You bet.
    Last edited by gray_marian; 31st July 2013 at 01:10 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI All.
    Well I must be crazy or just an old salt, don't know what to call my wife! We have never had personal insurance in our life's. We have traveled to the UK twice, back and forth across the Tasman more times than Union steam all without insurance. I looked at it if the plane crashed you were a goner anyway the same if the ship sank and I think that if you have no insurance you are to afraid to be ill. Still, simple minds I suppose got us through.
    Cheers Des

mouse.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast