Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Fuel Poverty.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Not For Me Lads

I prefere to boil my eggs on the cooker not the wash basin talk about {HOT WATER} The only good thing is the EARTH may move for you Terry.

Fracking causes flaming taps... should we be doing it? - Truthloader - YouTube
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default welsh coal was sold off

Hi Shipmates, Coal mines in Wales The old coal board last report. before the Iron lady closed the mines quote" we have enough coal for 500 years, without The new modern ways to burn coal without much pollution " The Chinese use rubbish brown coal to power industry and kill thousands every year, Welsh coal is still mined but only a small amount underground, opencast is much cheaper with bigger profits for the private owners

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

last report. before the Iron lady closed the mines quote Louis.
    ./
    .Hi Louis, The Iron Lady didnt shut the mines.
    It was Aurthur Scargill who had the mines closed.
    See my posts #104 and #120.
    Put the blame where it should be,
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Oz we have more brown coal than you can poke a stick at, but much of it is open cuut mining much easier then the conventional method. There are the usual bodies attempting to get it all shut down, global warming and all that, but the Chinese do not appear concerned as thye ae our biggest customers.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

.Hi Louis, The Iron Lady didnt shut the mines..
    ./
    . I have just been doing a `book` of my brothers life down the mines until the Strike of 1984 closed the industry down.

In 1967 the pit I worked at, Brackley Colliery in 1950 for six months, closed.

In December 1967, the pit ar`kid worked at, Mosley Common, in Walkden, Bolton, was the most modern mine in Britain, £7.5 Million had just been spent on Modernisation, The Duke of Edinburgh went down it to the coal face and spoke to ar` kid and his team.
    The Mine had reserves of 275,000,000 tons of good quality coal, and then Labour Prime Minister, Harold Wilson, ordered it to be shut down. The mine had been given impossible targets the same as most of the mines throughout Lancashire. 3,000 miners redundant from the Mosley Common mine. The Lancashire coal field had shrunk from 358 pits employing 100,000 men, down to 19 pits in 1968.
    So Labour did more damage to the coal industry and Mining than Maggies strike could ever do 18 years later.
    So I think with that record Maggie must be exonerated.
    Also Coal fired Power Stations were being closed down and smokeless zones came into force and so the demand for coal dwindled.
    On the news on AL JAZEERA TV today said that Queensland was now the biggest producer of coal in the world. Exporting 150,000,000 tons of coal every year. Most to China.
    We could not compete with that.
    I hope that clears up a bit of the myth.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 29th March 2013 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never understand why Mrs Thatcher gets the blame for the Demise of the Coal Industry , HAROLD WILSON did it , long before Lady T , The battle with Arthur Scargill was too late in the demise of the coal fields , he killed off what was left because of an undemocratic strike .

Open Cast is good but when coal is 800 metres below ground the hole you dig to get it out is two miles wide and in the case of some seams over ten miles long , that is a big hole , Open cast rarely goes below 100 Metre seams .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read that Germany has plans to build 23 new coal fired power stations, so they don't give a **** about all this "green" propaganda, they are looking to their future and just getting on with it.
    Nuclear stations are not the complete answer for many years till their safety record improves.

There should be more spent on cleaning flue emissions from coal stations and using district heating systems and this country could stick it's fingers up to the foreign suppliers of energy to this country.
    They say that gas rationing is probable in the near future due to colder and longer winters, what do we do then ?
    I am considering taking out my "living flame" gas fire, which is too expensive to run and opening the fireplace up again to burn fossil fuel as a back-up.

Incidently, when the old lady next door got a coal delivery she asked the coal man " how much is it now for a cwt ?" He told her and asked where she wanted it putting and she said " Put it in the display cabinet !"
    Cheers
    Kevin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My brother got a job at Parsonage Mine in Leigh, one year after his redundancy at Mosley Common., [ which affected his pension later]
    Parsonage Colliery was 4,000 feet deep at the face. Temperature there was an average of
    104`f.
    Terrible working conditions.
    He stayed there until he was redundant after the Strike.
    He also went to the Vindicatrix Sea School in 1947 and at sea on deck for four years.
    He always said he loved mining.
    He has just been taken to a nursing home to stay. hence the "book " of memories I have done for him. including photos of all his ships, dates and run, and also photos of his pits and coal face photos. I will get it to him on Monday in Blackpool.
    It has been an interesting exercise.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 29th March 2013 at 09:59 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    I never understand why Mrs Thatcher gets the blame for the Demise of the Coal Industry , HAROLD WILSON did it , long before Lady T , The battle with Arthur Scargill was too late in the demise of the coal fields , he killed off what was left because of an undemocratic strike .

Open Cast is good but when coal is 800 metres below ground the hole you dig to get it out is two miles wide and in the case of some seams over ten miles long , that is a big hole , Open cast rarely goes below 100 Metre seams .
    But such a big hole could be put to good use, housing for illegals springs to mind.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Mercer View Post
    I read that Germany has plans to build 23 new coal fired power stations, so they don't give a **** about all this "green" propaganda, they are looking to their future and just getting on with it.
    Nuclear stations are not the complete answer for many years till their safety record improves.

There should be more spent on cleaning flue emissions from coal stations and using district heating systems and this country could stick it's fingers up to the foreign suppliers of energy to this country.
    They say that gas rationing is probable in the near future due to colder and longer winters, what do we do then ?
    I am considering taking out my "living flame" gas fire, which is too expensive to run and opening the fireplace up again to burn fossil fuel as a back-up.

Incidently, when the old lady next door got a coal delivery she asked the coal man " how much is it now for a cwt ?" He told her and asked where she wanted it putting and she said " Put it in the display cabinet !"
    Cheers
    Kevin
    If I recall in about 1960 the gov passed the clean air act, brought in to stop the 'London fogs' that were attributed to coal fired power stations. Clean coa; burns well, gives good heat and there is plenty of it, a natural fuel source. As for burning 'fossil' fuel somehow I do not think the mother in law would be impressed.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13