Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: PAST FANTASIES

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fantasies

Jim, I think we could all live with his stupid remarks, tongue in cheek or not, but it was his besmirching of the Merchant Navy and those who died that got up our nose

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Must be old now?

Hi Shipmates, How about this one? I remember beer at 2 bob a pint { old money} now I am in Cloud- Cuckoo land !!!! Trolly bus for 2d fare and horse carts on every street selling milk salt, fish and rag and bone men shouting for trade. Police man , did they live in blue boxes?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Past Fantisies.

Ivan,dont you get the title Past Fantisies.He is on about old people fantasising about the past and did'nt we do that to "here we go here we go" when some old guy started telling us some yarn about his past."We only had cold running water you know and a toilet down the back yard"
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Or when I was sixteen I'd been half way round the world
    Last edited by Jim Brady; 8th February 2013 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can't understand any logic in the letter supposedly being a wind up. To me the man, whatever age sounds like what he says, stupid to a new degree of stupid.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now it is printed out it seems more like someone making a sarcastic response to someone else. I think it is someone much older and possibly also ex-seaman. I'll just sit here quietly and wait to be proved totally wrong.

Regards
    Calvin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Actual Print out

Posted by Admin Manager on behalf of Ivan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sarcasm

Obviously written in sarcasm, and not trying to disprove any of the statements, just referring to others who might. The line about shopping trolleys I found to be out of tune, as dont think they existed during the war years, unless they had them at Harrods. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let us go through this post from someone that will not be an oap for about another 15 to 20 years probably die of old age before then :P

I do not remember 3 posts a day mind you was young and never noticed these things was always up to some form of mischief but i do remember morning and noon deliveries

I do remember seeing police walking the beat it was fun to shout cops legit and laugh as the slowest runner was caught and given a free of charge clip round the ear hole not to be confused with a kick up the well we wont go there but that happened as well

I have seen old newsreels in documentaries and old movies showing people of all ages with the gas-mask and what looked like a prototype space suit for newborn babies everyone had them and never left home without

I was not at sea during ww2 but i was still 16 when i got home from my first trip in 1981

and also remember going to buy cigs in singles which you never see anywhere now

I have no idea how much the fish and chips were as there was a kebab shop across the road from my local in them days but change from a fiver for night out was pretty good value with lager at 49p and bitter at 48 drunk and full of kebab

All them schools teaching German french and Spanish was a waste of time should have taught Urdu Arabic and a mixed selection from eastern Europe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Be it a wind up or not much of it is in bad taste. Supermarkest first appeared in small form during the early 50's. His commenst will offend many an older pesron who may not see it as a wind up, but as an afront to what they know to be true.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Roll On !

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    Ivan,dont you get the title Past Fantisies......
    Aargh! Jim lad! I honestly do think I'm intelligent enough to tell the difference between a 'wind up' and 'fact'

Cold water, Well jim again until I was 12 years old I never lived in a house that had taps inside cold or hot, our water was from a pump in the yard and later a stand pipe ..FACT

Our toilet was in the back yard and bloody cold it was in the winter......FACT

I switched on my first electric light in a house I lived in when I was 12 .........FACT (previous to that it was paraffin lamps and candles.........FACT)

In my 16th year I hadn't been half way around the world, but had visited 10 different countries travelling as far south as I lived north...FACT

I carried a cardboard box with a gas mask for a number of years..........FACT

My entrance fee to the cinema WAS empty jam jars and a few pence........FACT

Anyway could go on but what's the point, as Billy pointed out Mr Reynolds may have intended it as a 'wind up' but when you do that don't insult the dead who helped give you freedom of speech, as I said before had he left that out it could have been amusing and not insulting.

But that's all from me on the subject, I've made my feelings known to the Daily Mail about their lack of judgement

Kind Regards

Ivan

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5