Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kindles

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now I know why you always have dark glasses on!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Gulliver Guest

Red face The Devil makes Work for Idle Hands.....

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Now I know why you always have dark glasses on!!!!

...and My favourite song was always Max Bygraves... ♫ 'You Need Hands' Piano.gif ♫ ♫, preferably with accompaniment on the one-eyed piccolo...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Hawken View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but what's a kindle?
    i think he means read it with a candle regards cappy

Tony Morcom Guest

Default Respect

Out of respect for Neil Morton whose thread "Drifting Beneath the Red Duster" got somewhat hijacked I have moved all these posts here as a separate topic.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just been out and bought some 3d kindles for presents yep modern tech sure is great you guys have all seen them thousands of times made of paper and called BOOKS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Get with it

Hi from an old fogey
    But yes I do have a kindle, along with a laptop, desk top and tablet hah hah.
    The kindle I think is great, you can go onto Amazon and down load some really good books for FREE. Only wish they had been around when I was sailing as it would have done away with having to have 4 or 5 hardback/paperbacks in your luggage for voyage reading.
    With the kindle you could join your ship with a collection of hundreds of books for voyage reading.
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All very interesting.I think I'll stick with a proper book.I'm just another dinosaur really.However I haven't bought a national paper in years.Read them on the computer. Several different nationalities Aussie, NZ occasional American ones. So perhaps I'm not such a dinosaur after all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All tis talk of tablets and the like. Doc told me to take one tablet twice a day. How do i do that without a piece of string/

Tony. you say you down oad a kindle on to your PC for convinience. How convinient is it to carry a PC around with you just to read a book?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default KINDLES

Although I, too, much prefer a printed book to e-book, the latter has values which have not been mentioned on this forum.

Publishers do not accept books for publication on their merits, but on what will sell and make a profit. Consequently, trivia is more likely to be accepted than good stuff.

If an author cannot then find a conventional publisher, he can resort to publishing his/her work as an e-book and, if he/she has not the technical skill to do this, he/she can employ someone who does.

Another thing in the e-book's favour is that out-of-print books can sometimes be found in e-book form, and, of course, Amazon Kindle is by far the most prolific.

Best regards

Ian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is also worth mentioning that Kindles and Nooks etc are much more than just e-readers. They function just like I-Pads in that you can use them to browse the web and do just about anything a computer will do. And, if you have a wireless printer you can download the particular printer's app to the tablet and print direct from it. I do this regularly, and the app even gives me a graph screen showing ink capacity etc. Plus there are literally thousands of apps that can be downloaded, a lot of them free or for as little as a couple of bucks. My TV cable company provides an app that allows me to watch TV on the tablet. I frequently sit on the back patio on a Saturday morning a watch a couple of live Barclays Premier league games on it. I bought a new Mac computer about a year ago and now rarely use it, I do everything on the tablet including email and even this post. Just thought I'd mention this for those unaware of their functionality.
    Duke Drennan R809731

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast