Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DRINK UP LADS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default DRINK UP LADS

I have this day read with some interest the UK government proposal for minimum pricing of alcohol, proposed at 45p per unit.
    I follow it with interest as a similar proposal has been suggested here in Oz.
    I am fully aware that there is a section of society, for whom the consumption of alcohol beyond a certain level will cause problems. I am also aware that certain outlets will use preditory pricing in order to gain sales.
    Whilst I am also aware that there is for some in the community dangers in over consumption, this is an attempt by this government to crack a Wallnut with a sledge hammer. Those who will be most effected by this are the persons who enjoy a quiet drink at home and are of no danger to the community.
    Cast your minds back some fifty years and consider how much we consumed, and the type of alcohol it was in many cases. Yes there was the odd guy who went a bit mad, but generaly most of us filled up to the gills and often then fell asleep, no problem to any one.
    Why then are there so many problems today with the younger generation when it comes to the consumption of alcohol?
    There is one major difference, attitude and drugs.
    The attitude now is to get as drunk as possible, very often leading to violent behavior. Many of the problem drinkers will fill up before going out, then when they do it is drugs mixed with alcohol that is the root cause of the problem.
    The do good brigade however do not see it in this manner, rather they see a problem for all of society in the sale of alcohol and would if they could have it totaly banned.
    But now the Scottish parliament, the first to consider this approach, are to challenge the EU as they consider it to be a non competitive solution to a problem that only affects a few.
    Once again the minority are making the rules, rules which infer that we are all bad persons.
    In my opinion the only bad persons in this are those who hide behind such actions, which are not to address a percieved social problem , but rather as a means of raising additional tax.
    What do the members think of this?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I Fully agree John
    Just another way to increase Taxes.
    Why should I have to pay more for a bottle wine with my Saturday and Sunday dinner at home because some lunatic kids cant take it and cause trouble.
    These bastards lie awake at night trying to find ways of hitting us with more Taxes.
    They said it costs £1.2million to treat people with alcohol related injuries in hospital every year.
    Make them pay not us.

Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 28th November 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Drink Up Lads.

I wonder how much per unit the MP's will pay in the Commons bars ??
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John & Brian
    I think you both hit the nail on the head, Iv'e got to agree with both of you.
    Jim, good question, I bet it won't affect them, if it does they will just vote themselves a BIG payrise anyway.
    Last edited by Graham Payne; 28th November 2012 at 02:19 PM.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good one Jim,
    Their Bar is subsidised by the Tax Payer.
    There should be NO Bar there. On the ships the bars were taken off for Health and Safety.
    These people make life and death decisions in Parliament, can they do that with a belly full of ale?
    On the ESSO Tankers we had Breathelizer kits, the same should apply to these animals.
    Cheers
    Brian,................about to burst a gut.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 28th November 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Drink up lads.

I am a man who likes a drink, but have cut back
    drastically in the past couple of years because of the expense.

I now drink only at home and always after 22.30 hrs.

At that time I have two large G&T's.

Now, as you guys have already said, my couple of scoops
    will cost more.

Why should I be charged for the bloody idiots who cannot
    hold their drink.

If, as often happens, they end up in A&E in a drunken and
    damaged condition, make the buggers pay, and if they don't
    have money with them, send them a bill which, by law, they
    will be forced to pay.

Mind you, having said that, there is not a politician in this
    country with the balls to pass such a law, so there we are
    shafted once more.

Pat Baker.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i said it before. take the licence away from supermarkets and others. off licences only to sell beer, wines and spirits. cameras to record sales. its the parents who buy it for thier underage kids to get them out of thier hair. i'm sure anyone wanting a bottle of wine will not worry where they get it from, and would rather go to a reputable place. and know what they were getting. the government will tax it whatever you buy.
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This from MSN News.................
    .................................................. .........................................
    The Government believes imposing a 45p minimum unit price will reduce total alcohol consumption by 3.3%, and cut the number of crimes by 5,000 per year and hospital admissions by 24,000. There will be 700 fewer alcohol-linked deaths annually, according to the predictions.

The department's impact assessment suggests moderate drinkers will spend an extra £7 per year as a result of the plans, while harmful drinkers - defined as more than 50 units per week for men and 35 for women - would need to find an extra £118.
    The public purse will lose around £200 million in duty due to falling sales and there would be a £500,000 bill for enforcing the rules, plus up to £16.6 million in "transitional" costs for the industry. But it estimates the health benefits are worth more than £400 million annually and the reduction in crime nearly £13 million.

The consultation says banning "two-for-one" and other multi-buy offers "would be expected to result in an overall reduction in alcohol consumption and its related harms" - but admits there is not yet enough evidence to assess benefits properly.
    .................................................. ..............................................
    . So it will cost the drunken yobs another £2 a week to get drunk on. That is a deterrent????
    Who does the Maths in the Government?
    They should go back to school to learn how to do sums.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the only comment i can make is i packed alcohol in 17 years ago now but i still have a bottle of 50 year old single malt as a reminder but may be it is a good thing that the price from super markets go up its a pity many pubs are closing down there are a lot of young kids drunk every weekend in the parks to cheep to get drunk thees days.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default How many pub have gone so far?

Hi shipmates, I sometimes have an odd half of beer with my rum, I am not worried about this latest scam to make us small time drinkers pay more tax, as The lords and masters of The E.U. will not allow this to happen it breaks' so many trade rules ? wine, port, brandy, and many more drinks are from the E.U as soon as the supermarkets pubs, clubs, and the brewers lobby get they act together this will go out the back door double quick The supermarkets make big profits out of takeway booze and many brewers will closed down without this trade The U.K. government will have to pay a massive fine again to the E.U.for trying to stop free trade between member countries, and it will cost them much more in legal cost if they dare to bring this unfair scam. { if they jump into this with out permission from the E,U} By the way in the short term this will make booze shopping trips to france worth-while again, and the eastern europeans gangs can supply a very cheap vodka made on back of a lorry { Dont drink it shipmates it taste like nail vanish remover}but very good to start a cold engine{ Marine or van} in the winter. Cheers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast