Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: floods

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They could build a few Monsoon Ditches, it sure would make my locals feel at home.
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Floods.

I recall a documentary on TV some time ago about reclaiming mud flats and marsh land on the Thames estuary,it was to be used for agriculture.The land was all dyked off,it did the job all right and kept the reclaimed land nice and dry.The only problem was when the tide came in the billions of gallons that would normally flood the plain had only one place togo and that was up the Thames which obviously caused flooding upstream.The dykes had to be breached and given back to nature and the sea.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Gulliver Guest

Thumbs up Floods..or Not.....

BEWDLEY BRIDGE WEBCAM
    (Click 'Newest Image' when Cam opens)

I can see (from my desk!- I'm not daft,I'm a sailor and don't like to get my feet wet !) the Bridge webcam down the hill from me about 1/4 mile away.The level looks O.K. so far and appears to have peaked here on the upper Severn,although levels may increase again from all the rain from the Welsh hills.

The defence system which cost £7 million after the disastrous flood in 2000 doesn't look much (you can only see the demountable quayside barrier in the webcam,but much of the work is underground).

History
    In November 2000 Bewdley suffered serious flooding and 140 properties were affected. After the flood, the aim was to construct an effective flood defence for Bewdley, which would also enhance the Georgian town and its 18th Century quay.

The Environment Agency consulted local people about the best solution to the flooding problem. They decided on an innovative demountable aluminium barrier system called 'the invisible defence'. The barrier works with a below-ground wall, which acts as a cut-off to underground flow during flood events. About 450m of demountable flood defence was built, with 150m of permanent flood defence wall.

The conflict of building a 21st Century flood defence system along an 18th Century listed quay, next to twelve listed properties and a Thomas Telford Grade I bridge has been solved. There was the added bonus of a new open space with handrails, steps, ramps and walkways, which conceal the line of the flood defences, but give easy access during flood events.

The scheme cost £7M. The first part of the system was proved in real flood conditions in February 2004. Once the Severnside North section was completed, work started in March 2004 to build the larger Severnside South section and complete protection of the town. Construction work was completed in time for the system to be live tested in November 2005.

In the major flooding of July 2007, the barriers were put in place before river levels rose and the town was saved from serious damage.

Gulliver
    Canoeing.gif

Last edited by Gulliver; 27th November 2012 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Floods

That's an excellent outcome, Gulliver. In your situation common sense has prevailed.
    Richard Q
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Floods

Des and John,

Now they can't build schools or fit insulation. Wait 'til we get the National Broadband Network. If it is anything like the old PMG setup we had here we'd better get a loft of carrier pigeons. Or in the case of the NSW Northern Rivers carrier, ducks. Or in their case of the new Super (medical) Clinics - quacks.

Richard Q
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    I recall a documentary on TV some time ago about reclaiming mud flats and marsh land on the Thames estuary,it was to be used for agriculture.The land was all dyked off,it did the job all right and kept the reclaimed land nice and dry.The only problem was when the tide came in the billions of gallons that would normally flood the plain had only one place togo and that was up the Thames which obviously caused flooding upstream.The dykes had to be breached and given back to nature and the sea.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    Jim I am sorry to tell you but you may be in contrvention of political correctness. You cannot get the land dyked off, sold off yes but not dykes!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Quartermaine View Post
    Des and John,

Now they can't build schools or fit insulation. Wait 'til we get the National Broadband Network. If it is anything like the old PMG setup we had here we'd better get a loft of carrier pigeons. Or in the case of the NSW Northern Rivers carrier, ducks. Or in their case of the new Super (medical) Clinics - quacks.

Richard Q
    Knowing thisa lot mate I suggest you brush up on your semaphor 'cos I think that is what we will end up with.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Floods

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    .The dykes had to be breached and given back to nature
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    The first reported case of lesbianism was in Holland when it was reported that a young boy stuck his finger in a dyke. Probably get into deep water for this one

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

has anyone noticed in new buildings such as hospitals were do they put the emergency power sources in the basement why? were is the first place that will fill up with flood water. look what happened in japan when the nuclear power plant they could not cool the reactor because the emergency power generators were bellow ground. we must have a rethink about this.you think?jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool FLOODS

Hi John.
    Here in South Wales,we have been very lucky
    with the resent weather,just a couple if inches
    of rain,but I bet that we complain more than
    those poor people who are flooded out.
    Dave Williams

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast