Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Prisoners allowed the vote.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

convicted prisoners are automatically banned from voting in Armenia, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Luxembourg Romania, Russia and the United Kingdom. In Australia, prisoners are only entitled to vote if they are serving a sentence of less than three years. Eighteen European states, including Spain, the Netherlands and the Republic of Ireland, place no formal prohibition on prisoners voting. In practice, however, it is often difficult for prisoners in some of these countries to vote: in the Republic of Ireland, prisoners have the right to be registered to vote in their home constituency, but have no right to either a postal vote or to be released to cast a vote at a ballot box.. This whole debate was caused by a convicted murderer John Hurst , when you look deeply into it , this like many things is not about Human Rights , it is about getting Compensation for being denied Human Rights . I have one thought , when you go to vote , remembering that most of us have only ha this privilege for the last century , let the voter show proof of citizenship , not just electoral registration , that will reduce the voter numbers and maybe the members of parliament , , UK Citizens , not Aliens , no Irish who work here and still have roots in Ireland , no immigrants who have not served their time here to be a citizen , let them show citizenship to get the right to vote for our government , I'll show my passport any day to maintain my right to pick the pig who eats at the trough in my name . We need to stop the compensation culture , too many people with too many Ambulance chasing lawyers are too ready to sue anyone for anything when the smell of money is there , When I stub my toe on a pavement my knee is my worry , not the lawyer and the need to sue the council , I will repeat the cause of this yet again , a Convicted murderer , is trying to get compensation for his loss of human rights whilst in jail , I wish that , IF he ever succeeds that his victims family get every penny for the life that he terminated and denied the right to live to .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With referance to #26, Eifion before I went to sea I was called up for Natoinal Service. We had to fill in a form to state whether we were a. British (Scottish), b. (British Welsh) c. (British Northern Irish) or d. (British English). I remain, and always will, loyally the latter, no matter what the E.U. tells me who I am! Regards T.G.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

once you are taken into prison all rights you have on the outside should stop we have prison visitor organisations to stop abuse in prisons. more rights should be for victims they are the loosers{but like everything else} we will put it to europe we can't sort our own lives out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the Politicians and Lawyers cared more for Victims Human Rights then we may have a better society.
    Victims have no choice, they do not choose to be Victims.
    a criminal has a choice. They do not have to be criminals,
    So give them Nothing,
    If eUROPE Says give them compo, give them Nothing.
    What is Strasbourg going to do?? Bomb us??
    tell them to get stuffed.
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would let them have the vote, as has been said before few would use it. As for any that might choose to go down the compensation path would it not be simple for a law to be passed disallowing any person to profit from their incarceration however caused, including lottery wins, by the simple expedient of any monies having to be paid into a compensation pot for victims of crime. I would go further and charge any that could afford it for their board and lodging.

Regards
    Calvin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with that Calvin, If any prisoner gets any compensation he has to pay back the costs of his arrest, trial, legal aid and imprisonment including, food, electricity, heating, and laundry. also the use of any fascilities, such as the Gym , I have to pay here, he should have to pay the same. Cost of playing Pool , you have to pay in the pub. and the Library and TV licenece fee for each cell.
    That should discourage them. Why should the Tax Payer have to pay twice to keep the bums in comfort?
    Failing that start to execute a few murderers that should keep the numbers down.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problems that I get are with the words "beyond Reasonable Doubt " in a trial , and the fact that not all our policemen as Captain Kong has testified here , are truthful and honest , but in a reasonable country , I think we have to assume that a man found guilty by twelve of his peers is more likely to be guilty than innocent . In that case , I would only allow an appeal to be against the verdict if there was new evidence , and I would take the stance taht as they chose to remove someone else's rights , either human or properety , they should forfeit their rights , and in the case of a crime that reflects a sentence of over three years I would remove their right to vote for ever . Let honest citizens vote and the rest get nothing . There is one exception that I see , and that is where a remand prisoner is denied his right to vote , as he has not been tried and found guilty , I would allow him a postal vote .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rights

I still do not want some toerag who has been incacerated for raping, abusing,thieving, murder or any other offence against the many law abiding members of this nation, having the vote. Human rights! What human rights surely they should forfeit rights except the right to make restitution to the law abiding members of this nation. T/V's would be out, radios out any form of entertainment they have would be out. Food would be basic but nourishing and exercise would consist of a montiored walk round and exercise yard, preferably in leg irons. if they want work give 'em work on a chain gang. ( God knows where 'coz we 'ave very little industry left in this country, it's slowly been shipped out since the end of the 70's)
    No, prison should be hard with no fringes and be made to be an experience you wont want to repeat. I might upset a few of the do gooders but no do gooder looks after my W.R. and I.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4