Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Prisoners allowed the vote.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Prisoners allowed the vote.

Sorry Rodney you have left me completely confused same as the curly brackets,please explain!!!
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regarding a referendum on Europe or any other subject. A referendum does not bind Parliament in this Country. Back in the days of Mrs.Thatcher's Government,there was a lot of talk about a referendum on restoring the Death Penalty.The Lady quite rightly pointed out that the Nation would very likely vote overwhelmingly to bring it back. Parliament would discuss it and on a free vote they would reject it by a huge majority.I imagine she would likely have voted to restore it but the majority of the wimps would have opposed it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jim,

(1) I was unable to post a "like" to Captain Kong for his post re. the poem about England By the Queen's Own Lancers.

(2) "Fritz" is colloquial for broke, not working.

(3) "Nit-picking" again is colloquial for picking at something small.

(4) I still retain a fondness for England having been born there, and get very peeved at England perpetually being portrayed as a villainous country and the English as villains.

(5) The flavor of the poem being pro English appealed to me,

(6) The author erred by slipping a famous Irish writer into a complementary article about England and the English.

(7) Sorry you didn't get the "curly bracket thread" the Captain certainly got it, perhaps he can explain my sence of humor.

P.S. In the States convicted felons lose their voting privileges. Voting here is considered a privilege and not a right.

Cheers, Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Writers like Shakespeare, Milton and Shaw
    The pupils don't learn about them anymore

Hi Rodney,
    I would suspect that he used the name `SHAW` to rhyme with the word `anymore`.
    But again, how many school Children know anything of Shaw or any other great writer today.?
    Tho` when my son did English Literatuire at School many years ago he had books on GB Shaw. Maybe the `English` was meant to be `English language` as opposed to English Nationality.
    Please excuse the `and `. I never did learn English at school I had to teach myself after leaving. Didnt learn to read and write until I was Eleven years old due to WW2.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 23rd November 2012 at 09:32 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

COLLIN that's all it was talk we want action we have been promised by every party so why has it not happened is it a snout in the trough thing the right people and laws could get this country up and running again within 2 years we are looking out for to many and we are going down the pan for the sake of stupid red tape by foreigners remember the keep Britain tidy add on the telly well its time to clean up the country and clear it out.jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Few would argue with the logic of your proposition, Jim, it would, indeed, be the ideal solution, even though it would, I think, go against the grain for some. Many would regard it as further evidence of Britain's subservience to Brussels, those faceless fuhrers who, already, have done much to dismantle the British 'way of life'. Did we really need their advice on how Britain should be run? In post #4, Tony (Morcom) made the point that membership of the EU does have some benefits for Britain and that may well be the case, however, it is my belief that any benefit is, overwhelmingly, outweighed by the increasing disadvantage that Britain is made to suffer for the dubious pleasure of financial (Euro aside) and political alignment with most of Europe.

Foolishly, I always believed that the British were a free people, free to conduct their domestic affairs in a manner that preserved a culture, tradition and 'way of life' that was the envy of many throughout the world. Then along came the EU, an organisation (forgive the misnomer) that Britain eventually decided to 'jump into bed with'. At the time, there were those who voiced their misgivings, but it must be said, many believed that it was the way forward, that such an association might bring eternal peace and prosperity to Europe and, in time, the rest of the world. Now, in hindsight, it is easy to mock such optimism, but for many they were the hopes and ideals of a people for whom the experience and horror of WWII had not yet been forgotten. The original concept of a united Europe may well have been lauded as noble and far-seeing, but what of it now? Somehow, I do not see in it any part of the 'bright, sunlit, uplands' that Churchill may have once envisaged and referred to in one of his many notable speeches during the war. Ironically, there is a possibility that unless Britain withdraws from the EU, it will ultimately be in thrall to a German-led Europe, an existence that so many Britons fought and died to prevent from happening. The magnitude of their sacrifice should not be demeaned or wasted by the incompetence, indifference or, dare I say it, self-interest of a select few within the 'corridors of power' in Britain. Believing they know what is best, some members of the Government continue to treat the British public with the same disregard some adults reserve for small children. Undemocratically, by denying Britons a referendum on the question of continued membership of the EU, they deprive the people of an opportunity to decide for themselves what is best for the future of Britain, not just in this lifetime, but for generations to come. (Remember! that numbered amongst this coterie of 'wise' men and women who would deny their countrymen the right to decide their own destiny, are the very same exponents of statesmanship and political astuteness who dither over a simple, common sense, long overdue, decision to afford recognition to a diminishing group of elderly Arctic heroes who fought so that these overprivileged, overblown, gong-beaters can strut their stuff so ineffectively. Doesn't really instil a feeling of trust, does it ?). There are those in power, both in Britain and Europe, who will say it's too late, there is no turning back. Perhaps they are the same ones who fear a withdrawal by Britain would rock the foundations and bring the whole edifice tumbling down, so destroying what for some has become a 'milch cow' (or golden goose, if you prefer). Why not let the voice of the people be heard ? I do not sanction anarchy, only democracy. Let us hope that sanity and wisdom will overcome the shortsighted self-interest attributed to some and to others who jockey for position at the European trough that is Brussels.

(That's all for now said Roger, stepping down off his soap-box)

P.S. Understandably, some would feel that as an Englishman permanently resident abroad, I have relinquished the right to comment on affairs in Britain today. In my defence I can only repeat the old chestnut - 'You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy'
    Last edited by Roger Dyer; 24th November 2012 at 11:54 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default post 16

Well said Roger. John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I could not have said it better myself Roger.
    Adolf Hitler tried to make a United eUROPE under German control, they are now trying again.
    We do not need eUROPE, we managed without them for a thousand years and we were great, now we are reduced to a small province of eUROPE, They dont give a damn about us, only our Tax Payers money they give away to the eastern eUROPEAN Bums.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if control is taken away from the voters and we have no say in any matters isn't that classed as Communism? today 3 kids were taken out of foster care becuase the family voted ukip who are thees been counters???jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if control is taken away from the voters and we have no say in any matters isn't that classed as Communism? today 3 kids were taken out of foster care becuase the family voted ukip who are thees been counters???jp .
    John Isnt that "Democracy" eUROPEAN style.??.
    sounds like a page out of the Hitler Youth Manual,
    Inform the authorities of your family and neighbours actions and movements.
    Thought Control.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Last edited by Captain Kong; 24th November 2012 at 10:54 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast