Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Elections

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Police Elections

I keep hearing the odd piece about these elections so having done a quick google I fetched up at the site where you can compare candidates for your region. Nominations close on the 19th October so I cannot understand how it has arrived at this late stage with so little fanfare

It would appear there are six candidates for my region two of whom are not interested enough to fill in their particulars. Hardly surprising as the position only pays between £85k per annum. Anyway, that takes away the conservative candidate and one indepedent. The other independent appears to be a professional student with little experience of the real world, the labour guy is a barrister so disqualifies himself under the old cronies act and the liberal democrat is a magistrate so probably not even on the same planet as the rest of us. The UKIP chappie says he has absolutely no experience whatsoever of the criminal justice system so it looks like I shall have to go with him.

Regards

Calvin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I heard that our John Prescott was after the job in Hull. 85 grand on top of his MP Pension plus another Pension on top of that when he retires from this new Job.
    I guess he needs all that money to keep him in meat and pototo pies.
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Police Election

I keep seeing this advert on the TV regarding elections for the position of what I believe is a Police Commissioner,who the candidates are and how the vote is to be carried out I have'nt a clue.I cannot understand why we need to appoint somebody without a police background is beyond me what is wrong with the present situation where we have a Chief Constable who has come through the ranks and knows the job from Ato Z.The money to pay this person will most probably come from the money that they are about to rob from OAP's and other less fortunate people.!!!!!
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am unsure of the actual job description for this post but think having someone at the top who is not involved at an operational level nor in bed with the constabulary can only be a good thing. Hopefully cover-ups such as Hillsborough will be a thing of the past. The pay scale seems to be bordering on the obscene as no doubt they will also be padded by a very comfortable expense allowance. The question is "How long they can remain independent and keep their noses out of the trough". Assuming that is they haven't already got said head in trough.

Regards
    Calvin

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find this a bit odd as here in Oz the cheif of police comes from the police ranks. Each state has a police minister in the government so do not quite undestand what this one is about!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Police Elections.

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    I find this a bit odd as here in Oz the cheif of police comes from the police ranks. Each state has a police minister in the government so do not quite undestand what this one is about!
    Not many people here know what its about John.It looks like each police force will have one i.e. Merseyside Police,I notice that London will not be having a vote for one I wonder if this means that Boris Johnson the mayor is in charge there.Did we not have what was called a Watch Committee at one time,these were local councillors who got an extra few bob for the different committees that they sat on.Many commentators think that due to voter apathy,a lack of understanding what the role entails will result in a turn out of of around 15%.What amuses me is the money that has been cut back from the police has resulted in many job losses both back office and the bobby on the beat the salary to this person could pay for three bobbys on the beat thats where we need to spend the money,what this commissioner will contribute to keep us safe on the streets I dont know.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Tony Morcom Guest

I agree Jim. Seems to be very hush, hush except for a few tv ads. I have seen absolutely nothing about who we are supposed to vote for or why we should vote for them. I think at current rate they will be very lucky to get a 15% turn out. Consequently the whole thing will be a complete farce which is so unusual for the present government!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The thin edge

Hi Shipmates, As you allready know part of the rates or { councill tax} is payed to the police, this new local police and crime system is in the future to take the police bill off the council tax, and make it a form of local tax on business and house-holders every one will pay extra .The real police will only do they job,{ crime } no form of crowd control or street patrols or parking tickets all local police work this will be done by others {see website} allmost anyone can join and help out, very low pay this will be the new form that the police force will take. The vote is to make everyone aware that you are now in charge of your area not the council or government and its up to us to support this system, as the police force numbers are beening cut everywhere due to cuts and increase costs in Cardiff we had 5 main police stations ? now we have two , and 6 locals now 4 only not open full time if you need to see a policeman urgent best of luck ??? this is the cheap new way?{ The Tough on crime conservative mandate} the small time crooks will have a easy time in the future with no one with the power to stop or arrest them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Id like to be told the real reason why we need a Police Commissioner.
    Is it a purely Political Position or an Operational One. I do not know.
    My own opinion is that The PM is copyinmg the idea from the USA and that he will have a 'Yes Man' in place.
    Speaking as a retired Police Officer I see no useful purpose that will be served by the person elected but ,and mark my words, just watch the costs escalate. From day one he will want/need a deputy, two or maybe three assistant rank personal. All of which will, have a secretary and a PA, an office for each of them which do doubt will be in a new building with all the ancillary paraphinallia that goes with it in order for it to function.
    Now that our Overseas Aid is higher than the entire Police Budget as a whole, will the position be offered to foreign nationals.
    I live in Powys and have no idea who is being considered for the post with the exception of the conservative candidate who is I believe a retired army person. The reason I know that is that he placed a small advert on line that he is freely available to visit any meeting, fete or other occasion to discuss the post.

John Albert Evans

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just put in your postcode and it will tell you who the candidates are in your area.

Your Candidate Guide for the Police & Crime Commissioner Elections 2012 - PoliceElections.com

If any of you feel like running you've still got a couple of days to get your application in!

Regards
    Calvin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast