Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: landlubbers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default landlubbers

I hope all this cruise excitement re. the general public has given them a little knowledge of the ways and systems of which a ship is run. Before cruising became a national phenomona, the average persons knowledge of a ship appeared to be sadly lacking. How many can remember being asked what do you do at night, do you drop the anchor? There were other stupid questions that the average landlubber used to ask, but are probably too stupid to bring to mind. Maybe it is this lack of knowledge of shipping in general that produces this lethargic attitude when querys like the Arctic medal are brought up. This also applies to our politicians, a lack of understanding of shipping in general among other subjects of course. I hope at least that the re advent of cruising may bring back to the non seafarers a reminder of what ships are about, and what at one time what a great seafaring nation the uk used to be. Most of our present prosperity came from the sea and the more people are reminded of this the better. So the more ordinary people cruising the better. Regards John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So true if they where to actually get on a ship and not a floating hotel like the modern ones are. Not knocking your post mate just that it sounds like you are thinking of when ships where ships. Can not really comment because would not go on one of them if given a free cruise. To me the their are two differences between a cruise ship and a hotel. One, It moves but you can not on a cruise. Two, you move but the hotel does not if it is a crap one.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Travel

Can also think of better ways to travel than a cruise ship. To the average punter is a great adventure and must to some be a very adequate way of holidaying. They all have imaginations and can put their own thoughts to work. Cheers John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Landlubbers.

John,talking of stupid questions you would be amazed at some of the questions passengers asked at the Pursers Bureau.I remember when I was on the Emp.Of France one clown wanted to know why there was'nt a snooker table on board,imagine a snooker table on the Western Ocean.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Landlubbers

Actual conversation twixt passenger and cadet (PSNC) not me

Pass "what's that thing on top of the mast called?"
    Cdt "it's called a 'truck' madam"
    Pass "what use is it?"
    Cdt "It prevents water getting into the wooden topmast and prevents it splitting"
    Pass " I don't believe you, what's it really for?"
    Cdt " actually it's what we collect seagull **** in before we wheel it away"

The cadet was made to apologise to the woman, but the woman wasn't made to apologise for her stupidity

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the 1940s I told an old lady , I wanted to join the Merchant Navy when I left school,
    She said, quote, "What do you want to do that for? only thieves and murderers join that"
    I never forgot those words. it was just after the end of WW2. So even then, no one ashore knew what all the Sacrifices were for, if any. I still think of it.
    Brian.
    . PS, I enjoy cruising , after a lifetime at sea, BUT, I choose my ships wisely, with cruising I can get to see a lot of old mates around the planet.#I am off today to book a Holland America ship, STATENDAM, a well founded ship, with British and Dutch Officers and Masters, registered in Rotterdam, Dutch Flag. Next February.
    1200 Bloods, Not a BIG block of flats with 5000 punters on.
    It will take me to see Eddie Tom in Rarotonga, Cook Islands, to see Stanley, Elaina, and Manuraii Young in Tahiti, they are direct decendents of Mr Midshipman Edward Young, who took a Tahitian bride to Pitcairns Island after the Mutiny on the Bounty, Also to see Rico in Bora Bora and Tiko and Fifi in Moorea.
    How else is it possible to visit these friends if I dont go cruising. ??????
    This year, cruising let me have a few drinks with some good mates on this site,... John Adamson, in Long Beach on the old Queen Mary. Lou Barron in Dunedin, John and Neil in Melbourne, Vernon, Roger and Joe Doyle in Sydney, my old mate, Joe Finnegan, off the Empress of Scotland and Franconia in the 50s , in Perth. and so on.
    Cruising allows me to do all this, It is cheaper than flying it, more comfortable and more enjoyable.
    Now how could I do that if I sat in a hotel everyday?????
    For a holiday I could go to Benidorm, or Majorca with all the British Lager louts, or freeze my goolies off in Blackpool,
    Give me selective cruising anytime. Also you dont get mugged going back to the cabin after a night in the Bars.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 16th October 2012 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cruising

Send us an email if you call in at Fremantle Brian. The most cruising I do is on the canals at Mandurah and only then under sufferance. Regards John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John, I was in Perth and Freeo, and Rockingham in March this year for two weeks after leaving QE, before taking off for Albany, Esperence, Norseman, Kalgoorlie, and back. This time the cruise ship just does the Pacific Islands for 30 days . San Diego to San Diego, I did the same cruise last year.
    I usually try to do it every two years alternating.
    But will do,
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 16th October 2012 at 01:33 PM.

Gulliver Guest

Smile Landlubbers...

My 'very blonde' cousin,Chrissie worked in Hong Kong.When first visiting me at Kowloon container terminal she was amazed at 'all those TINS we carried on the ship'.Of course she also thought we stopped the ship during hours of darkness,and that the Captain was the only one who constantly conned the ship.Bless her !

Happy Wave.gif

Gulliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the mid 60s I took my new wife to the Isle of Man for a week. Half way across on a nice calm day and all the passengers on deck,we stood among a crowd on the after deck looking at the ships wake,when my wife noticed the ships Log Line streamed and spinning Whats that for ? she asked. So I said to her, when we get off in Douglas and the ship has to return to Liverpool they move that Line onto the pointy end,the Bow, and follow it back to L-pool, that way they wont get lost. My jocular explanation must have been overheard 'cos I could hear men explaning to their Families the reason ships can sail at night and in Fog without getting lost.
    ttfn.Peter.
    A Nation of Sheep will Beget A Government of Wolves. ( R625016 )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast