Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lucky

john sutton Guest

Default lucky

Dont you all think that we are all very lucky people.
    I am 78 at present and I,m sure that many of you are of a similar age or older.
    When we think of the past.The dangerous times at sea and on land.The risks we have taken.The stupid things we have done in foreign places and in the way of earning our livings.This illnesses and accidents that have taken our friends and aquaintances.The amount we have drunk,smoked and the women we have associated with that were probably a danger to our health.Arent we lucky to be here?.I think I am .
    Personally I believe that somewhere there is a guardian angel especially for me and I try to keep on its good side.
    Live long and be lucky
    john sutton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

john if a doctor told you you have 1 year to live you would be surprised how many funerals you would go to in that time of people you would never think would go before you? i personally are one of the luckiest people here only a matter of circumstances on one day that changed my life forever and you are right there is someone looking out for you? i have done many things in my working life many very dangerous things worked away from car crashes the lot then at the young age of 55 life hit me like a hammer and again little insignificant things on that day like a jigsaw kept me alive?jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lucky

John and John, couldnt agree more. Cant really believe I am just about 76. Feel very sorry for those who have had their lives shortened and die much earlier. Have had a few extremely close shaves in working life and often feel privilged to still be here. The people who made an impression in earlier life are all a long time dead, they still live on though in our memorys. Even the ones who didnt make a very good impression. Cheers John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

every day this side of the sod is a good one? my dad always told me {treat every day as if its your last} one day you will be right life is to short enjoy itjp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lucky

Quote Originally Posted by john sutton View Post
    Dont you all think that we are all very lucky people.
    I am 78 at present and I,m sure that many of you are of a similar age or older.
    When we think of the past.The dangerous times at sea and on land.The risks we have taken.The stupid things we have done in foreign places and in the way of earning our livings.This illnesses and accidents that have taken our friends and aquaintances.The amount we have drunk,smoked and the women we have associated with that were probably a danger to our health.Arent we lucky to be here?.I think I am .
    Personally I believe that somewhere there is a guardian angel especially for me and I try to keep on its good side.
    Live long and be lucky
    john sutton
    Done all the above John (apart from the smoking) in addition was hit by over 3 tonnes of grab nearly 26 years ago quite a few broken bones and should not be here, spent 22 months in plaster, everyday after that event is a bonus, so don't now complain about much not even the weather, although the wet cold weather does affect the old bones that were broken, just glad to be alive

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lucky

The other day one my daughters took me out for lunch it was pension day and the place was full of old people well they looked old it made me feel young (87)i must be a suvivor

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those of us who sailed became good survivors because at times we had to. Our time at sea gave us a different outlook on life and I am a firm believer that if you look at life from a positive aspect you will survive. There are too many who on reaching an age say, 'I am too old to do that now'. It is this negative thinking that often puts them in an early grave. Even if you are unable to do it, at least try first before saying I cannot. I had to climb onto the roof of my house last weekend, admittedly I fell off but i got up and tried again, second time was OK got the job done.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lucky

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    ........... admittedly I fell off but i got up and tried again, second time was OK got the job done.
    Next time John wear a parachute

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John,
    You should only try that when you're sober, man ! You can't do it either when you're holding a bottle. Smarten up and stop showing off !!
    Duke Drennan R809731

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Couldn't agree more with all of the above posts. Sometimes I often wonder if all of the things we got up to at sea and ashore is a figment of my imagination as I could not see any of todays youth doing any of those things Merchant Navy or no Merchant Navy. For me the late 50's through to the late 70's was without doubt a magical time. My biggest regret was packing it all in and coming ashore.
    Regards
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast