Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: sun rise/ set

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sunset/sunrise

"What's a Sun ?" We are having a lot of rainrises and rainsets here. We are changing our name from English Riviera to English River

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Whales

John, was on a couple of seismic ships working around the NW of Australia. Had to carry a Government appointed whale watcher who if any whales were sighted in the vicinity all seismic work had to cease as had been suggested it was detrimental to the whales. I suspect if the whales did not like the sound of the compressed air explosions they would have moved away. More man hours were lost to whale sightings by this bloke with a pair of binoculars than you can imagine. I never volunteered to him any sightings of whales. As seismic work is a 24 hour a day job, I asked him what about night time when the whales could not be sighted. He had absolutely no answer to this, in any case he was in bed. I agree they are magnificient animals and even seen them come alongside scratching the barnacles off themselves, and that was in the Moray Firth in Scotland. However re the whale protectionist officer or whatever he called himself I think the whales had more savvy than him. Cheers John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Especially through the prism on the azimuth mirror on the standard compass. As regards sunset used to always stay and watch to see the green flash. Could count the numbers on one hand the time have seen. It is there however. Cheers John Sabourn.
    Loved the sunsets, often heard about it and looked for the 'Green Flash' many many times when at sea but never ever saw it.

Was it for real, only those who have seen it can say

JAE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sun

Quote Originally Posted by John Albert Evans View Post
    Loved the sunsets, often heard about it and looked for the 'Green Flash' many many times when at sea but never ever saw it.

JAE
    Apparently John, it was for real, there was a science programme on TV not so long ago, where it was discussed, I have been fortunate enough to witness a few. I was told by an old AB to look out for it, as conditions were right that night, I thought he was extracting the micheal until I saw it. I thought it was one of those "Long Stand" or Metric Shifting Spanner" wind ups but never the less I gazed horizonwards at the appropriate time and was rewarded.

Gulliver Guest

Cool The Green Flash

Quote Originally Posted by John Albert Evans View Post

JAE
    Certainly is real John Albert.I've seen it a good half dozen times at sea when conditions and circumstances are right.Also seen it once on holiday in Skiathos,Greece. Sometimes it is only very brief,1-2 seconds but it is something you always remember.Needless to say landlubbers are not aware of it.Mind you,they don't spend hours staring at the horizon like some of us did.......

Gulliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Horizon

John if you really want to nonplus shore people when they talk about the horizon, ask them which one they are talking about, Visible, Sensible or Rational. In fact if you want to nonplus some of the navigators I sailed with latterly, they wouldnt have a clue either. Will soon be a dead subject,and we will all be robots. Get onto Nautical and civil twilight to further broaden their knowledge, have almost forgotten myself. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only ever saw one green flash all the time I was at sea.

JA[/QUOTE]

Obviously you did not drink the same stuff as the rest of us!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    "What's a Sun ?" We are having a lot of rainrises and rainsets here. We are changing our name from English Riviera to English River
    Reminds me of an advert in a paper for a country house.
    Beautiful setting with a river at the bottom, of the garden, in winter garden at the bottom of the river.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

john sutton Guest

never saw the green flash while working at sea but did see it a couple of times while taking my boat accross biscay to spain
    john sutton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi John,
    A bit of subject, what boat have you got??, i gave up my boat a few years ago, got too expensive here, moorings, insurance, lift in, lift out, anti foul etc. Got to spend more time on maintenance than sailing Regards KT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast