Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Modern cars

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Woodard View Post
    Is it a TD5 disco John? My son has a series one disco V8 and would not get rid of it for anything. Not over fussed on diesels myself. If it is a TD5 then would be looking at trading it in as soon as possible before you are up for big bickies for electrics. As for changing discs they are quiet easy to do and they have the minimum sizes stamped on the edge of them so you can measure them yourself to see if there is any wear.
    Yes Les TD5 second one I have had, runs so well with no troubles. Did you know that 75% of all the land rovers ever built are still on the road somewhere in the world. Here in the Melbourne dealership where I go they have of the first two sent out here in 1948 for testing in the Simpson desert. In UK there is a series one diesel from 1956 still on the road with over half a million miles on the clock and never had the head off. That vehicle was voted best ever car by European motoring jounalists a few years back.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Land Rover

My mate and i had a nice little earner going in the late 60's early 70's where we would buy ex. army land rovers when the army regiments sold them off. Brought them for a song, resprayed them and then flogged them on at a tidy profit.
    Being ex. army they were well maintained and mileage was high but all in good working order. Army regiments used to hold regular auctions at their barracks where you could pick up Land Rovers, Trucks, and all sorts of stuff that they thought was past its use by date. Eventually the top brass got into the act and centralised it all through one auction place for all regiments. It used to be advertised in the local and national papers but have not seen one for years now so don't know if it still goes on.
    rgds
    JA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default cars?

Hi Shipmates, my brother in law owned a car show room and garage for over 28 years, so I have driven a few and owned some, my favorite car was a old toyota 1000 one of his px jobs cost me a round of Drinks down the car traders strip club in City road cardiff lunch time ,{ Long gone} The car {Tommy} my baby son called it that , was a joke held together by red paint, like one or two ships I was on? but it never let me down the engine and gear box was sound, it was a non drinker of petrol. I used to forget when to put some in the fuel thingy was allways green, it had sprung seats and you could feel every lump ,bump , and match stick , on the road the ride was like a old time bogey made out of old pram wheels,,I have owned some nice cars from british leyland to B.M.W. But my Px job done me great service for 7 years with no cost !!!! no trouble with it except a light blub free down the junk yard they bought the car for spare parts in the end, failed the M.O.T. on allmost the full list, The parts are now in other cars now very few of them on the road very rare? cars today are too clever, and tell you when to fix them.and garages charge a fortune to put the parts in today .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Modern Cars

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    My mate and i had a nice little earner going in the late 60's early 70's where we would buy ex. army land rovers when the army regiments sold them off. Brought them for a song, resprayed them and then flogged them on at a tidy profit.
    Being ex. army they were well maintained and mileage was high but all in good working order. Army regiments used to hold regular auctions at their barracks where you could pick up Land Rovers, Trucks, and all sorts of stuff that they thought was past its use by date. Eventually the top brass got into the act and centralised it all through one auction place for all regiments. It used to be advertised in the local and national papers but have not seen one for years now so don't know if it still goes on.
    rgds
    JA
    Still goes on John, the authorised agents advertise in two magazines PLANT WORLD (nothing to do with gardening) and RESALE WEEKLY, the two bibles for those buying and selling machinery, including some maritime items, such as grabs and winches etc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My Car

My car has been in the Show Room for many years,waiting for the price to drop,nearest I got to a car the wife lived in Redcar Street,Anfield two sons have got cars the son that lives in Southampton ,his a driving Instructor,taught him every thing.R634898.Ken.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always had two cars and still have them. Both are called knack and still function well. Just goes to show what great British workmanship will do.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    rgds
    JA
    They used to be sold at auction at Ruddington Ordnance Storage and Disposal depot in Nottinghamshire , you can find some history on line , I would think ?? it closed at least twenty years ago , now I beleive everything is done by tenders in little brown envelopes
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

john the police often have auctions selling of there old cars my mate bought one every time he went to the airport. lorries would move out of the way for him{he left the number on the top} till he got a pull??JP

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default A Police STOP at 2 AM:

An elderly man is stopped by the police around 2 a.m.
    and is asked where he is going at this time of night.
    The man replies, "I am on my way to a lecture about
    alcohol abuse and the effects it has on the human body,
    as well as smoking and staying out late."

The officer then asks, "Really?

Who is giving that lecture at this time of night?"

The man replies, "That would be my wife."

K.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Horn !

HORN !

Just a men and motors thing:

HORN.jpg