Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The British Bobby

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The British Bobby

As most of us went to sea at an early age and saw the world through rose tinted glasses, this was at many instances brought up short with what a lot of us saw how most countrys had a fear of their police forces or whoever was in control of country. The old Bobby was always considered a strong stalwart of justice and only feared him if he told your parents about any misdemeanour. However we saw how the other 95 percent lived and knew you were really home when you saw the P.C. on his beat. Why is it that nearly every country in the world there is corruption in nearly every government department, police, customs, immigration. Is it the nature of these people in some of these countries to be corrupt and follow on in their predessors footsteps. This cant all be blamed on poverty. Although the British police get some bad headlines at times through the free press wanting to stir something up, I still beleive the British Police Force is the best in the world, and probably more honest than any other. Times have changed into what we call modernization. To me they went backwards when he was taken off his beat. Regards John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The british bobby was part of the establishment and should still be. But times have changed and their duties now are far removed from what they once were. Our police here in Oz are mostly honest, though as with all groups there is some corruption. But for many foreign countries what we see as corruption is to them the natural course of events. If you want something done you grease a palm or two, bit like the barter system they use for purchasing. In countruies where life means very little, why should honesty be an atribute?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The British Bobby

John,I dont think that I would hold the British Bobby in such high esteem as yourself,although I do agree that they are in the main the most honest in the World.There was always corruption in the police we have all witnessed it at first hand when coming out of the dock gate.The police on the dock gates in Liverpool were Liverpool City Police and not the private police force of today the Port Police.You may think well it was only 5 bob in my dock pass,the amount of dock passes coming out of the dock gate in its heyday were thousands a week a nice little earner.I could give other instances too of the dock policemen.The Flying Squad was always corrupt,many of them were in the pockets of the gangsters.Also The Masonic Bretheren in both the Police and Judiciary let many of their fellow Bretheren walk free.As regards todays police quite a number have been caught involved selling drugs and involved with organised crime.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Bobby!!

Yes i do agree with the comments here about the British Bobby!
    As it was my first time in the UK many Years ago,i found that the Bobby was so very friendly and helpfull,ask him a question and a good reply was forthcoming!
    Indeed his attitude and manners were explicit to say the least,and he the Bobby was a person that anyone could look up to!
    I however did have my days that i could have strangled some,but that of course wast hrough my own silly doings.
    In contrast to the many other Countries (SA Included) the Bobby on the beat was indeed hard to beat!
    I hope that my upcoming visit to the UK will still find that Bobby so helpfull and friendly!

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you read the Book by George Skelly, "Cameo Conspiracy" , I am in it, of a double killing in Liverpool, Inspector Herbert Balmer set up two innocent lads and one, George Kelly, was executed by hanging in Walton Gaol. and the other , Charles Connolly, a friend of mine, got ten years in Wakefield Gaol. Balmer came to my house and beat me up.
    Charles told me that Balmer was the only man he knew who commited the perfect murder, He got the State to kill George Kelly as he was having an affair with Kelly`s girlfriend. and wanted to get rid of him.
    We cleared their names in 2004 at the Criminal Court of Appeal. in London.
    The following year he got two young lads executed for murder, Burns and Devlin, who we are trying to clear their names as they were innocent too.
    The Police in Liverpool then were corrupt.
    Cheers Brian.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Sir Robert (Bobby) Peel:

Named after Sir Robert (Bobby) Peel, the image of the British Bobby is a unique one. Most people would still associate the term ‘British Bobby’ with someone that looks like the lead character from the 60s drama serial ‘Dixon of Dock Green’. The tall dome shaped helmet is not always seen today, although it is still part of the uniform of many ‘bobby on the beat’ nowadays. For so many years, however, it was standard issue and gave the British Bobby a look that distinguished it from other Police Forces around the world.

Sir Robert Peel was Prime Minister during the mid 19th century, but created the ‘bobbies’, also known as the ‘peelers’ in Ireland, whilst serving as Home Secretary. The idea of a policeman patrolling his neighbourhood and keeping a sense of law and order became part of the British way of life. For the best part of the next two centuries it was quite normal for each area to have a ‘bobby on the beat’ who would become very much a part of the local community and he would even have normally grown up in there.

However, it seems certain that the image of ‘Dixon of Dock Green’; the local bobby who knows the community and its characters, who stops in for a cup of tea and a chat and who is totally trusted by all but the criminals in the community; has probably gone forever.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The definition of an efficient police force is one that apprehends more criminals than it employs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default British Bobby

Referring to the title as such, didnt mean to suggest anything about the university degree cops who are a different part of the constabulary. Was referring to the old Bobby there for any eventuality, going around checking shop doors etc. Was home one time when a bunch of Teddy Boys were giving a young single copper a hard time and taking the mickey out of him, was the time when they had public telephones which werent vandalized like they are now. Went and phoned the local station and told them he had problems. I think lone bobbys on beats by themself was done away with years ago, then came they were in pairs, and then in cars, now their presence isnt even noticed. A shame as think they did have some deterrent affect. The old teddy boy joke at the time was Bobby to teddy boy Hey Wacker do your feet go into the end of your winkle pickers. Teddy boy to Bobby does your head go into the top of your helmet. Cheers John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    John,I dont think that I would hold the British Bobby in such high esteem as yourself........
    Jim, I must admit it is many a year since i saw a British bobby or had anything to do with them. But on the whole my memories iof them was as basicaly an honest force. That may well have changed over the years asd is the case in many countries. But when you consider the number employed there is the cahnce you weill get a few bad ones, happens in all walks of life.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default British bobby

I would say most of them are honest and if you stop and ask them a question they will assist you, but the bobby of today is far removed from the bobby of the 60's who could still give you a clip round the lugs for any minor misdemeanor.
    We have a bobby on our estate who sells knock of fags
    recent case of coppers selling off guns that have been handed in to them in a gun amnesty
    I'm sure that they do a good job in the main but there are bound to be some rotten eggs, lived next door to one a few years ago but thankfully he got found out and tossed off the force.
    One of my best mates at school went into the force and just before I started at sea I was in a pub (underage) drinking with him when the police raided the place. The sergant leading the raid spotted my mate who he knew as a newly enrolled police cadet and gave him the nod to get out through the bog window before he was lifted for underage drinking and lost his chance of a career.
    Move forward about a year and yours truly is staggering down the main street of his local town after having a lock in at the local pub when who should he spot but his ex. school mate standing on duty in a shop doorway. Having just finished a 12 month trip and feeling full of bonhomie I staggered across to him to say hello to an old mate. Hello says I, move along sir says him, its me your old school pal ays I, if you dont move along sir I will arrest you, came his reply.
    Always a bit wary of plod after that.
    gds
    JA

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast