Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The British Bobby

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

coruption amonge cops is pretty much the norm here in New York ,and many other cities in the States.as well as most politicians . good old USA .plenty of loop holes to hide your income from the tax man .I wonder how much Romney would have to pay in the UK in taxes on unearned income of 20 mill $

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the last time i saw a bobby on foot i asked him was he lost or has his car broke down? some do over step the mark one of my sons played football for lancashire i used to take lads from my area to train and play so some times it would be late at night when running them home having four lads with caps on and me driving i was pulled over on many occasion by the police when they clapped eyes on the young lads i used to play a game with them i would just sit in the drivers seat they would pull me over by flashing the lights when stopped the copper would go to the passenger side and give the lads a mouthful {get the f... out of the car} before even seeing me in the driving seat when they did see me the cop did not know what to say and look for an excuse for pulling me over the best one i saw a load of lads wearing baseball caps i used to say is it against the law to have a cap but you could see they were ithing to book me for anything they could??? years ago in Liverpool outside the wine lodge a copper was getting a hiding of a few lads i jumped in to help the cop yeah when his mates came i got the hiding of the cops batterd with night sticks only for passers by telling the cops that i was the one helping the bobby they would have left me for dead i was the only one left standing and i never even got a thank you i needed hospital treatment? but still the british bobby has got a hard job on his hands there is lots of guns on our streets now and not by the good guys?jp

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default The blue lantern:

Fortunately have aways managed to stay on the right side of the Old Bill, from the early teens, when under age at the local night club, they were often raided to seek out the kids that were not eighteen. I got used to hanging on to my pint and chatting as they took away those hiding under tables and in corners etc. I am sure they knew, but seemed to admire my guts !

Years later in West Wales, The small hotel bar, left an honesty box and the owners would go off to bed, leaving a few locals / regulars to fend for themselves. The first night they retired but asked us to look out for Mr. Jones, on the night shift he was, but would be along later.

At about one in the morning, a huge knock on the door, the biggest uniformed copper ever entered and looked around. Boy I thought we are all nicked for drinking after time. Suddenly up went the chorus: Here's Mr Jones now then.

When in London again years later, liaised with the local nick, they conducted surveillance on a local boozer from our roof. Apparently they noted over a hundred known villains using the pub in one night.

Once in Tenerife could not find my apartment, saw a police car and thoughts were to ask directions. as I bent lower to the car window to ask, had a gun shoved near in my ear: They were really helpful, but they take no chances - much different to our Bobbies, when we were kids.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    I know what you mean about the old British Bobby, in the village where I grew up the local copper was a Welsh rugby forward, gave you a kick up the bum if you were doing the wrong thing, knew everything that was going on, the old style but now I'm afraid those days are mainly gone.
    The toughest copper ever in the history of Australia was a Sydney cop called Bumper Farrell who passed away a few years ago. He would go up Kings Cross at night by himself and take on anything up to ten men then ring for the Wagon to take them down to Darlinghurst jail where they would get another pasting. He played Rugby League, and once, though he denied it, bit off an opposing forwards ear. I met him when some firemen on a Union Company ship I was on brought a ringbolt over from NZ to Sydney, the bloke was a pedafile [they didn't know it ] and was caught in the bedroom of a little girl belonging to the Pub owner, Bumper arrived and threw him headfirst into the car,. there was blood running down the window before they even pulled away. A bloke has written a book about Bumper which I have just finished, hard man but fair.
    Cheers Des

leratty Guest

Default British Bobby's

Des that is a good book on Bumper, though don't you think there is an inference, certainly as to his latter Kings X station days of backhanders? As to the ear incident, I reckon it is clear he did do it just no one dobeb him for it except the one who lost his ear & he denied it those were those days after all. Sad he wound up as a security man for Packer, hmm could that have been due to some leads he gave them?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default British Bobby

The police Federation themselves would not argue, That without the help of the general public they would not make as many arrests and convictions as they do.
    A police officer asked my Mother in law to accompany him back to the police station last week why she replied i havn,t done anything, I never said you had madam its just at this time of night i would feel a lot safer with you alongside me Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

there was a copper in toxteth they called him basher any of the young lads getting out of order basher would meet them in the local park take his tunic of and they would have a go at each other he was well respected and as he put it it saved the paper work but he was not a bully and he knew everybody around parliament st area they used to call it bashers law what a character he was .jp

john sutton Guest

Anybody who sailed out of manchester might remember the clockwork policeman who did traffic control at white city(in the days that there was such a service)
    He had obviously been trained in an army unit as his precision was a thing of beauty to behold and very often there would be people stop for several minutes just to watch him.Sadly he was replaced by traffic lights
    john sutton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought the traffic control cop in the centre of Durham in the box did a great job , I have met a lot of Policemen , and I would say well over 95% are honest and straight men , doing a job that gets tougher daily . I was pondering this when listening to the morning Radio4 , I have always believed that the increase in drugs , promoted by criminals to dull the minds of the masses , and bring in illegal revenue , here a majority of theft is to pay for a habit , Street prostitution the same , As Boots the Chemist does not sell Skunk , then it is all criminal suppliers and criminal money , I think there was a turning point in the mid sixties and early seventies when the drug culture became popular , and the youth of today and society in general took a nose dive . I believe if you catch a dealer , make them take what they have in their pocket , let them know what it is like
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The British Bobby.

Years ago it was said that most policemen were all brawn and no brains.There was a story in Liverpool years ago where a donkey dropped dead on the road it was on the corner of a street.A policeman came along and asked what was the name of the street Dalrymple Street he was told,whats the name of the next street the policeman asked,Kew Street he was told.That'l do he said and proceeded to drag the donkey along to the bottom of Kew Street where he took out his book to write his report.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast