Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1004 likes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Likes

I had the same thing happen John at the time of the changeover of the main page, after two years with no LIKES and no THANKS, although I had accumulated many but went back to zero, but what the heck as long as the site remains active and we all have a chance to talk to each other through the written word it's fine by me because as sure as apples is apples we wouldn't be phoning each other. But I do appreciate ALL the likes and thanks I am awarded as it shows that we have the same sense of humour and experiences and I certainly appreciate all the help, expertise and willingness to help others which is engendered by this site, not forgetting all the humour, and slagging off on occasions.

My only gripe is that sometimes when I press the LIKE or THANKS button it doesn't record my effort even though I am logged on and then re-log on to do it, so if my likes or thanks to others seem sparse it is not intentional, because I thank you all for your contributions, even if I don't agree with all of them because it makes us think of others and not just ourselves.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

morning keith. i think you will find that the battle of hastings actually took place at battle.
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

Gulliver Guest

Default Oh Dear !

Very true Alf.......... and the Battle of Waterloo actually took place at Paddington! 45110 Engine.gif LOL.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Badge

images.jpg

Congratulations John.

You are herewith awarded this Badge.

John Albert Evans

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by alf corbyn View Post
    morning keith. i think you will find that the battle of hastings actually took place at battle.

RE: Hope to add the 1066, now that would be historic:

Keep up the good work.

Would imagine Brian may send a message from Battle, near Hastings for1066 ?

Keep up the good work:

You are pretty much correct Alf, I know Battle well. The reality is the Battle of Hastings was not in Hastings, but at where modern Battle lies. Battle itself did not really exist then and all occurred at Santlache. Known historically as Senlac Hill (also known as Senlac Ridge).

It was originally known in English as Santlache ("Sandy Stream"), which the Normans punned into Sanguelac ("Blood Lake") which was then shortened to Senlac: thus Senlac Hill is the commonly held name for the high ground defended by the English army. Senlac Hill was c. 275 feet (84 m) above sea level, before the top of the ridge was leveled off to create Battle Abbey. This hill can be found a few miles outside of Hastings.

Senlac Hill (also known as Senlac Ridge), was the ridge on which Harold Godwinson deployed his army for the Battle of Hastings on October 14, 1066. The high ground: the hill offered, gave the English a great advantage over the Normans, who made repeated charges up the hill but to no avail. Only when the Normans feigned retreat did the English leave the hill to pursue the Normans. Once the English were on flat ground the Normans made their stand, soon Harold was killed in battle and the English became disorganized allowing the Normans to win the battle.

In 1070 Pope Alexander II ordered the Normans to do penance for killing so many people during their conquest of England. So William the Conqueror vowed to build an abbey where the Battle of Hastings had taken place. The Battlefield remains within the Grounds of Battle Abbey, Senlac Hill, Battle.

My post RE: 1066 was a bit of fun, based on the fact that this is where Brian resides and a bit like the Queens telegram for a citizens centenary birthday, thought the idea of Brian mentioning John in dispatches when reaching 1066 a bit of banter / fun for the post.

LINK: http://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/s...-1066-all.html

Ha Ha !

K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 7th August 2012 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    There I was with over 2000 likes. then I went on holiday came back and found 600 of you took them back!!!!! Did I upset someone??
    Skite !!
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Tony Morcom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Morton View Post
    Skite !!
    Having no idea what Skite means Neil, I just looked it up and apparently it is a popular Australian word meaning "Boastful Talk". It originates from Scotland though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default J,P,

I have just hit a 100 thank you,s............................ Maybe i have secured my place in heaven............. Then again if i end up, up there i wont know anyone? Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have just hit a 100 thank you,s............................ Maybe i have secured my place in heaven............. Then again if i end up, up there i wont know anyone? Terry.

Typical bloody scouse got it wrong again. They are on about likes mate and seems you have 844 so well on your way to a golden harp pity I will not be there to hear your solo. Be at the bar below with all our mates.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default 101:

Hopefully, 101 now ? Or 845 ?

I never did really notice the counters, till one day, saw I neared 3,000 posts.

Lost count now, the stats are really not the important bit:

K.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast