Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mars bar anyone?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well to me the Mars expedition and any mystery about outer space is on Triilian space years more interesting than the Olympics.

I couldnt count the number of nights on the wing of a Ships bridge the beauty of a Star speckled Universe up there full of unknowns and Mystery , even now it is still the greatest mystery of all times , is there another Inhabited World out there some where beyond the beyond. When you think of the Certainty of Navigating by the Stars there could be something we dont know out there.

All the best Glenn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i still can't see why we sent anything up there what is the reason with all the kit that is floating around up there i think we have mapped mars anyway i am into science but to me this was a waste of money???jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Glen just imagine finding another planet that was controlled by another Maggie Thatcher. We would end up with alien refugee's as well as the lot we have here.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mars

Although it may appear a waste of money one has to admire the men who calculated, even with computers, the trajectories required to put something so small on something 350 million miles away that took over eight months to get there and land it where they wanted it bearing in mind that this had to be planned whilst we travelled around the sun and the sun traversed the universe and no doubt Mars is moving as well. I think navigators will appreciate the complexity of it all. I know that we were extremely proud when we traversed the Atlantic in winter with no sun or star sights and only our experience, a streamed log (no GPS but possibly an unreliable Loran signal) and end up two or three miles adrift of where we wanted to be after a couple of thousand miles.

And think of all the spin offs from all the research required, things we take for granted, non stick frying pans, minitiare computers and phones, various types of cooking hobs etc etc even in my own company we used the same material that the Shuttle used on its re-entry tiles to coat the hydraulic cylinders on a 20 cbm grab that was to stay underwater for six months whilst working in Arctic conditions whilst digging Glory-Holes for oil exploration equipment. Glory Holes are deep holes dug into the seabed so that large manifolds (same size as a double decker bus and much larger) can be placed in them so that they are not hit by icebergs, the grab is never brought to the surface but moved underwater and the spoil used to build embankments around the Glory Hole. There must be many more instances where spin offs from space research and exploration have been beneficial to mankind on earth, including medical procedures and equipment and other things that we take for granted so never notice them.

It may appear a waste of money, but people thought that Magellen's trips were a waste of money as he would sail off the edge of the world, but he is recorded as the first man to have circumnavigated the world thus proving it was round and that expedition cost his government a lot of money. Man is filled with curiosity and their endeavours have proved beneficial to us all in one way or another.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I agree it was a superb piece of Navigation, far better than a lot I have seen recently, like the Concordia
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I do believe its cost less than the Olympics and (wait for it ) the Mars Machine will last two years) I was much more interesting than watching some High jump pole Vaulter or the Discus thrower.
    We may even find out if there are little Green men on Mars too and even better they may have found a new place to transport the bad Convicts. And all the Drug Barons. all the best Glenn Going for gold hee hee

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mars Bars

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well the Yanks have managed to land a "Mini" on Mars looking at rocks.But all the Italiians could manage was putting a ship on rocks trying to miss them,which looks like costing as much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2