Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed Retirement Age.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Proposed Retirement Age.

The Government intend to raise the retirement age to above 65,it will increase gradually and could end up at 70 before old age pension could be claimed.
    I was reading Hansard yesterday and the subject matter was the decasualisation of dockers.The amusing thing about it is a Tory MP proposed that the retirement age of dockers should come down from 68 to 65.This debate was in 1969 by the way.Not the correct quote but something like this."It is absurd to expect a man to carry on working until 68 in such heavy industry as the dock worker".I think they would be more worried that they would not be getting a good days work out of a man of 68.It was mentioned that at one time the dockers had an agreement that their retirement age was 70 and that they had already commuted 2 years.The reason why they wanted to carry on working was obviously the OAP was hardly enough to live on.A pension scheme was also mentioned it was said.after a lifetime on the docks the man was given £100.and maybe 10 shilling pw pension.I find it strange,one minute you are told you are to old to work on after 65 the next thing it is made compulsary that you work on after that age.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

maybe the thinking is if we work longer more will die of overwork, therfor less Pensions to pay, , lets face it we are not wanted when we dont pay any more taxes,
    Tony Wilding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Retire at 70? I wish.

I can assure all I am well past 70 and up at the crack of dawn, and before, attending to anything that assists my son on the farm.

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My father was still painting ceilings at 79 (not with a roller) not for greed but because of need.I hope we never have to go back to those days.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default retirement

I think it is totally unfair to expect some men in certain industrys to continue after 65. People such as carpet fitters where their knees give out well before the average persons. Building trade workers, and those in heavy manual jobs where health and strength is required. If a person wants to carry on and feels fit enough to do so, well and good. I refer to Doctors and dentists and such who live a more sedate lifestyle, they should in general have no qualms about continuing after 65, as indeed many do already. Seafarers and such are usually borderline as regards fitness due to the strict fitness pass mark, and are sometimes stopped from carrying on because of this. The last medical I had before retiring I managed to scrape through, I said to the shipping doctor I am not here to pass a test for an astronaut, some shipping doctors were very strict re. blood pressure and such. I remember when it suited and the BSF were trying to get rid of people, the Indian shipping doctor in Shields was going to fail me because I couldnt read the bottom line of the card. Dont think anyone has ever read the last line. However had to get reading glasses before he would pass me. Was a con and obviously were trying to clear their books of people. In general I think 65 is long enough for any man to work especially when they start at 15 this is 50 years. For those who dont finish their education until 25 let them carry on for 50 years, that brings them up to 75. They usually have non manual jobs anyway. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    ...If a person wants to carry on and feels fit enough to do so, well and good. ...
    John,

Whilst I would agree with your post I have emboldened a specific part which I believe as important. I remained at sea for the full 50 years unbroken and whilst the last 5 years years were drudgery it was not health it was personal. I wanted to complete the big 50. I believe the world 'retired' to be somewhat of an anathema as it is like preferring/practicing ones self for old age. You see it with people who during the sitting process look back at the chair a few times as though it is going to disappear. Or ensuring there is something close by to grasp, you know the scenario. If retirement means a 'pint and a bet' I would prefer a mahogany box.

Brgds

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Having a pint and a bet" That statement could be levelled at me as that is on my profile.Obviously Bill if you have never been involved in this activity you dont know what it's all about to say you would sooner be in a mahogany box I've never heard such a ridiculous statement.I meet up with ex seamen over 80 years of age we have a good drink,a good craic and back horses at the same time and I know where these guys would sooner be and it would not be in a mahogany box as is your wish.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not levelled at you at all, as I have never taken the time to look at your profile. Getting 'personal' is something I have always left to others.
    But, if the hat fits........

Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Proposed Retirrement Age.

Bill,I notice that you are a recent visitor to my profile.Enough said!!!
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Immediately after your post No.7! Enough said?

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast